• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit more on the 40D and TCs... (1 Viewer)

Keith Reeder

Watch the birdie...
Evenin' all.

Influenced by suggestions on other photography forums, I went out for a couple of hours this afternoon for another try with the 40D + 100-400mm + 1.4 TC.

Other folk have found that they can get usable AF as long as they keep away from the centre AF point, and I was interested to test this out. So with the Canon 1.4x plugged in, I hit the beach and local harbour.

And d'you know what?

It works.

It's still not as good as the 30D, but - once I got used to looking at the right AF point! - it's a million miles better than what I'd been getting using the centre AF point.

Images today were clearly softer than I get without the TC, but I reckon they're OK - 40D shots seem to sharpen up very nicely anyway - and I'm happy now that the 1.4x is worth carrying along "just in case".

I haven't tried the Kenko 1.4x yet, but that'll be next.

Attachments

• lbb1.jpg
    lbb1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 181
  • eider1.jpg
    eider1.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 195
  • sanderling1.jpg
    sanderling1.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 191
  • sanderling4.jpg
    sanderling4.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 160
Thanks Keith, I have given that a try with my 400, f5.6 but I found it a bit awkward to get used to, so haven't tried it since, I will give it another go and see how I get on.

Other folk have found that they can get usable AF as long as they keep away from the centre AF point, and I was interested to test this out.
Rats! I wish I'd remembered that when I went out to do some experiementing yesterday. I only used the central point.

I tried my 40D with a Teleplus 1.5x and a Sigma 1.4x (taped pin) converter. Both AFed OK with my first subject - a Little Grebe only about 6m away. It's when I tried stuff that was further out that I found the two behaved quite differently. Even very high contrast subjects (e.g. Mute Swan standing on mud) refused to AF with the Sigma TC. The Teleplus had no problems - even handling flying gulls.

Checking the images at home I could see little difference in IQ of the Dabchick pics.

Next weekend I'll try both again - and a Canon 1.4x and 2x - and I'll see if swapping focus points makes a difference.

Evenin' all.

once I got used to looking at the right AF point! - it's a million miles better than what I'd been getting using the centre AF point.

I haven't tried the Kenko 1.4x yet, but that'll be next.

Keith
I will show my ignorance now but!
If you don't use the central focus point how come the camera doesn't focus on the back-ground instead of the bird?

Hi David,

by pre-selecting another AF point instead of the central one and using it in the same way - that is, placing it on the bird and triggering AF - it's much the same in usage terms as the central point.

Admittedly it takes a little bit of getting used to - especially if you're panning with a running sanderling! - but it isn't so different really.

I've been intending to try alternative AF points anyway as a compositional aid - that's what they're there, and Mark Wilson (MW Aurora) does that to great effect - and on the strength of this little flirtation I can see me getting into the habit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back