• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mackay's Bunting in Iowa? (1 Viewer)

Pam Duffy

I was on my porch when I saw a pure white sparrow-like bird fly across my yard to the tree with the feeders 5:30 pm CDT, Monday, Sept 27, 2004. It stayed for about 15 minutes flying with other sparrows to yard and bushes and other trees. At first I thought it must be an albino sparrow, but it actually looked like a MacKay's Bunting (female, summer) according to my reference book. Is it possible for a Mackay's bunting it to be that far south and in the midwest? Pam Duffy

Pam,

Afraid the short answer would probably be no - I think Oregon would be as close as they've got before and is not on the Iowa state checklist. Are you sure it wasn't a snow bunting? If you see the bird again try to get some photographic evidence that would help.

Sorry to put a dampner on things - Luke

McKay Bunting v. Snow Bunting

Thanks for info. I wasn't able to get to my camera in time, but did get my binoculars had excellent views of flight, roosting, and feeding on ground. There were absolutely none of the markings of a snow bunting on this white bird. A very strange siting indeed--perhaps a McKay who has lost his (oops, her) way! Pam

Hey, Pam!

Just noticed these are your first posts on BirdForum so wanted to wish you a warm welcome from all of us on staff here.

Could also be a leucistic bird (white instead of normally pigmented feathers) of some type, or as you say, albinistic. Did you notice if the eyes and legs/feet were pink?

Katy: Thought the feet and eyes were darker than pink--perhaps brown--but hard to say--I waited around the feeders this morning to see if my bird would re-appear, but no luck. Will check again tonight. Pam

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back