• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longfeng Lake, Hebei Province, P.R. China (1 Viewer)

RCarter

I went to Longfeng Lake today, a wintering area for White-winged Redstart, to see if any had yet arrived. Answer: no. Other birds were of interest, though. The small lake itself attracts very little, too many people in pedal-boats, bank fishermen, etc. The neighboring "mountain" (a "big hill" where I come from!) is covered with scrub growth, rather like chapparal, and often has some good birds, especially various bunting species. But not today! Things started off rather badly: while balancing on some loose talus covered with slick grass, I spotted a small flock of tits, the bins went up, the feet also went up, and I ended up quite cut and scratched. The tits, of course, were long gone, with no hope of an ID. Then, no birds for the next hour! I was planning to write a report for BF with the title "God, I Hate Birding!"

At about noon I got into a nice grove of ornamental trees near the lake, mostly weeping willow, poplar, and sycamore, and the birding improved drastically:

Common Hoopoe 2
Spotted Dove 6
Amur Falcon 1 female
Red-billed Blue Magpie 5
Black-billed Magpie ~15
White-cheeked Starling ~10
Light-vented Bulbul ~15
Eurasian Tree Sparrow ~50

The bulbuls were a great treat! According to the MacKinnon and Phillipps Field Guide, these birds are more southern in distribution -- but they add, "now regularly reported in Hebei (Beidaihe)." Nice to see them here in the Shijiazhuang area, too! They were taking a lot of insects: some were hawking from the treetops, like flycatchers, while others were working over twigs and branches for late-season caterpillars. A very fine bird, and a lifer for me!

RCarter

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back