• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angola Swallow ??? (1 Viewer)

leon

This bird has me totally confused. They (so i am told) are common in the area. I shot them one early morning (after a heavy thunderstorm the pervious evening). These birds were circling around the garden (this is a big area as the house is on a farm) at very high speed. I thought , ahha what a great opertunity to take a photo, but these guys were just too fast. They apeared to be catching insects of some kind. The farm is outside potchefstroom (150km west of Johannesburg).

The closed ID I have is the Angola Swallow, but there spread are not shown here.

I saw the same speci of birds a month later again, but over some fields in the area.

The white dots on the tail were quite distintive. Picture were shot on 25 Dec 2003.

Please help?

Attachments

• swawel1.jpg
    swawel1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 218
  • swawel2.jpg
    swawel2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 227
  • swawel3.jpg
    swawel3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 256
Hi Leon,

I am not familiar with Angola Swallow, but your photos look a lot like Barn Swallow, Hirundo rustica.

Peter

Fulmar said:
Hi Leon,

I am not familiar with Angola Swallow, but your photos look a lot like Barn Swallow, Hirundo rustica.

Peter
Does the barn swallow also have white dots on its tail ?

Yes , it has, but you only seethem when it is spreading the tail like in your last photo_ I will have to look it up what Angola swallow looks like but I have to say these look quite barn swallow-like.

No, it all makes sence now. My guide says nothing about the spots on the tail, so I assumed that it had to be Angola Swallow. Acording to my guide they are very simular.
The differences are that the Angola Swallow has shallower fork in tail, the chest is grey not cream. This actually makes it clear that the birds posted are Barn Swallow's.

Its the dots on the tail that trough me off. Thanks for the help.

I wish I could see more of the true color of the area of the throat and forehead. Also, it may be just an impression but I thought the outer retrices of H. rustica were longer than those of the birds in the photo.

Leon,
Describe the color of the throat for me. If I look at one angle on my monitor it seems all blue and from another angle it seems blue under the chin and then becoming reddish going toward the pectoral zone.

More pics. Hi Eduardo, the return of the prodigal.

Attachments

• Hirundo angolensis 94.jpg
    Hirundo angolensis 94.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 162
  • Hirundo rustico 2966.jpg
    Hirundo rustico 2966.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Hirundo rustica 216.jpg
    Hirundo rustica 216.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 190
cuckooroller said:
Leon,
Describe the color of the throat for me. If I look at one angle on my monitor it seems all blue and from another angle it seems blue under the chin and then becoming reddish going toward the pectoral zone.

Sorry for the late reply, had to commute home. They were so fast that I could not cleary see. I took hundreds of pictures in trying to catch them in flight. I will check if I have one that shows the chest clearly. Will be back in a few minutes.

leon said:
Sorry for the late reply, had to commute home. They were so fast that I could not cleary see. I took hundreds of pictures in trying to catch them in flight. I will check if I have one that shows the chest clearly. Will be back in a few minutes.
It has a very small redish patch on the head and on just below the beak, hardly visible. This image has been over colour saturated to show this detail.

Sorry for the bad images.

Attachments

• swawel4.jpg
    swawel4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 191
cuckooroller said:
. [snip] Also, it may be just an impression but I thought the outer retrices of H. rustica were longer than those of the birds in the photo.

I have looked through all the pics and it never appears to be long. I know that the were constanly turning, applying some "rudder" pressure, but it does appear to have a shallower V than the H.rustica.

Last edited:
Checking albigularis and dimidiata. I don't have angolensis ranging and rustica should not be common.

Well, they range but both have white throats so we can forget them.

Last edited:
All are certainly Barn Swallows (NOT Angola)... the only ones I can't ID for certain as such, are the somewhat distant swallows in thread 1 photo 2.

Last edited:
I looked it up at home and also for me they are clearly Barn swallowsHirundo rustica.
I have to add that when I was in South Africa in winter 1995/1996 , H. rustica was by far the commonest swallow in most places, outnumbering all african species we saw.
And some of the Barn swallows were also moulting tail feathers then (is that normal?).

leon said:
This bird has me totally confused. They (so i am told) are common in the area. I shot them one early morning (after a heavy thunderstorm the pervious evening). These birds were circling around the garden (this is a big area as the house is on a farm) at very high speed. I thought , ahha what a great opertunity to take a photo, but these guys were just too fast. They apeared to be catching insects of some kind. The farm is outside potchefstroom (150km west of Johannesburg).

The closed ID I have is the Angola Swallow, but there spread are not shown here.

I saw the same speci of birds a month later again, but over some fields in the area.

The white dots on the tail were quite distintive. Picture were shot on 25 Dec 2003.

Please help?

Yep, your Barn Swallows are possibly young birds (therefore 1cy in December), because the shape of the tip of tail feathers is quite angular and differs much from adult's tail feathers (especially outermost). Barn swallows has white spots typically in 5 outer tail feathers (2nd-6th TF) in both side and those two feathers in the centre are without spots in both sexes (1st TF). Sometimes some females has even 2nd TF without spots. Some Barn Swallow individuals (adult) start to moult during the autumn migration, in september. I have ringed Barn Swallows since year 2000 and about 400-500 birds per year. One my ringed bird has controlled in South Africa.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back