• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any 883 owners? (1 Viewer)

fyamin

Looking for info on front filter covers to protect the front lens when in use? Should I bother with it? and if so what size filter would it take?

I am waiting for mine to be delivered hopefully sometime next week.

regards

I fit Hoya Skylight filters to ALL of my optics and it has saved me thousands of pounds.

My APO Televid 77 was 3 weeks old when I was climbing over a stile and a hidden strand of barbed wire etched its way across the entire width of the filter - it would have been the scope front element!

2 Weeks ago the Leica got filter number 3 when, in a rush, I shoved the scope into the car and dropped the tripod in after it resulting in the tripod head punting the filter glass out of the frame - again it would have been the front element.

It is also a damned sight easier to remove jammy fingerprints from a filter than a costly multi-coated lens and a lot less frightening.

I use a 95mm B+W MRC UV-haze filter, fully multi-coated and rain and soil repellent. It was very expensive, but it does not degrade the image or reduce light transmission to any significant degree. About the protective aspect: fluorite crystal is very soft compared to glass.

Keep in mind that the filter attaches to the extendable lens hood, a fact that almost always comes as a surprise to the Kowa 883/4 owner. I keep the hood in and tuck a piece of cardboard between the case and objective to create a crude sunshade.

Norman P
Massachusetts, USA

Looking for info on front filter covers to protect the front lens when in use? Should I bother with it?

I personally have not bothered with it. I have my stay-on-case on all the time; if you do that I think there is less of a benefit to having a filter.

Jim

Thanks guys, Since I had posted this I did buy a 95mm Hoya multicoated filter. And as mentioned earlier I was surprised to find that it attaches to the hood which makes it impossible to use the plastic lens cover. I did get the stay on new cover which is not available in the US, it is great.

I don't use the filter any more because I can't use the lens cover with the filter on the hood.

Thanks guys, Since I had posted this I did buy a 95mm Hoya multicoated filter. And as mentioned earlier I was surprised to find that it attaches to the hood which makes it impossible to use the plastic lens cover. I did get the stay on new cover which is not available in the US, it is great.

I don't use the filter any more because I can't use the lens cover with the filter on the hood.

Looks as though I was not the only one who did not notice that the original post was made in April! By the way, is there any way others in the U.S. can get the better stay-on-case, or did you have a special connection?

Jim

As an aside I find that the use of a filter negates the need for a plastic lens cover. The filter 'becomes' the lens cover.

Do a search online you may find some company in Europe or Japan willing to ship to the US. I had a relative gift it to me, it was bought in Europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back