• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

Apart from the one photographed last year..........

which gets a mention here on DOS..............

News update 24 April
•BLACK STORK One was seen flying SE over Beeley Triangle at about 2.45 p.m. on 24th April by Neil Moulden. It appeared to be on a heading taking it towards Ogston Reservoir. This will be the first County record of this the much rarer of the 2 Storks on the British list. There was a report of a possible Black Stork being seen in the Haddon Hall area last summer. Currently there are at least 2 others in the Country, one being a long staying example in the New Forest, Hampshire. This means that within the last 7 days both White and Black Stork have been seen in the county.

I know there are pics of that so not sure what has happened to submission of the record.

A couple of other sites carry genuine displeasure that news got out so slowly of this bird, which lets face it, could have been picked up again if it was known about. Having said that mobile signals arent great on Beeley!

I am sure Matt will come back to you Nick but I find them good on the lane down from the parking area at the top - a small copse on the left a couple of hundred yards in usually has a territory.

Then also on the path that runs alongside the railway going down towards the bridge over the line that takes you to the canal. Plenty of cover and singing birds are usually here.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the info. I got lucky as soon as I arrived this morning (around 6am). I somhow managed to get a wheel in the ditch (near the concrete blocks by the pedestrian entrance) and as I opened the door to check for damage I heard the unmistakable call of a Lesser Whitethroat. Matt was correct, it was showing ridiculously well in the first bare tree past the entrance. I heard another calling on the way out, about halfway back down the drive.

Loads of other warblers around there too, and I got some great views of Garden Warbler. I met a couple of really helpful birders on site too, so thanks guys if you are reading this. Unfortunately, I failed to follow instructions correctly and managed to get lost when trying to find the canal pit! Ah well, I'll be back tomorrow, and try to locate one of those Groppers.

Thanks again all.

Cheers

which gets a mention here on DOS..............

News update 24 April
•BLACK STORK One was seen flying SE over Beeley Triangle at about 2.45 p.m. on 24th April by Neil Moulden. It appeared to be on a heading taking it towards Ogston Reservoir. This will be the first County record of this the much rarer of the 2 Storks on the British list. There was a report of a possible Black Stork being seen in the Haddon Hall area last summer. Currently there are at least 2 others in the Country, one being a long staying example in the New Forest, Hampshire. This means that within the last 7 days both White and Black Stork have been seen in the county.

I know there are pics of that so not sure what has happened to submission of the record.

A couple of other sites carry genuine displeasure that news got out so slowly of this bird, which lets face it, could have been picked up again if it was known about. Having said that mobile signals arent great on Beeley!
Hiya,

OOPs Might have been out quicker if I hadn't been in a dead zone for mobile.... Neil is a good mate and he rang me straight away and left a message but my phone didn't pick it up and then the battery died so just got the message:eek!:,Had I got it I would have relayed it on! He would not have had his numbers with him for the info services etc, he's an excellent birder, carries all the right stuff note book, pencil, bins, 'scope but doesn't carry a pager etc so no numbers etc! He's seen more good birds than I can dream of so you can be happy it was one :t:

Sorry I didn't get the message earlier......

Oh yes.....apparently the original photos were too poor of that Black Stork last year to do anything with......

ATB

Steph'

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of mates and we went to Wyver Lane, 2 Oystercatcher on top pool, on main pool 2 heron, 2 BH Gull, 2 Shoveler, Sedge Warbler, a few Whitethroat, wrens and also Male Redstart singing and looking very much on territory above public Bridleway behind main hide. Also in that woodland my mate thought he may have very briefly seen Pied Flycatcher, but only very briefly, and despite a thorough search we couldn't locate it and it wasn't singing. So probably just his imagination. Also GS Woodpecker and Nuthatch in wood.

I think the area where the woods are really does look interesting and there's no reason why there couldn't be Pied Fly or even Spot Fly there. To me it looks ideal. Hopefully I wll be down later or in the morning and will have a good look and listen.

I think the area where the woods are really does look interesting and there's no reason why there couldn't be Pied Fly or even Spot Fly there. To me it looks ideal. Hopefully I wll be down later or in the morning and will have a good look and listen.

Agreed Dave, its an excellent habitat and with a few nest boxes it would have the potential to attract some decent birds. Don't suppose the land owner would be amenable to some boxes being put up? Wonder if DWT would be interested.

Agreed Dave, its an excellent habitat and with a few nest boxes it would have the potential to attract some decent birds. Don't suppose the land owner would be amenable to some boxes being put up? Wonder if DWT would be interested.

Some nest boxes would be ideal especially as we already know there are Redstarts in the area. If I see the land owner I might mention it to him. Not sure the DWT would be interested though but could be worth a mention.

It was there this afternoon at about 4 pm. Was quite surprised to see one! It was ringed so could this mean it's an escapee?

Most likely an escapee, but Collins guide says they were introduced in France in 1976, and a feral population exists in Italy.

Sacred Ibis is an odds on Cat C vagrant from the very well established and rapidly expanding large French populations... a good bird originating there would test listers resolve. I for one would be pleased to see one especially with the weather at the moment! Of course it equally could be an escape... ring info would help (I think the French birds are studied so some will be ringed/colour ringed though).

No sign of the Ibis in a brief search tonight..... or for that matter the Black Stork at Youlgreave.... bit of a mystery that one LOL. I reckon its moved on but you never know....

ATB

Steph'

I have a birding friend at work and the ibis is a real trump card! I only stopped in at the hide for 10 minutes or so as the kids were getting bored- what a result. Thanks to all for the info.

Went up for the Black Stork this evening and together with a few more birders we had a good look around but saw nothing. The area is so vast though and the bird could be anywhere. Would have been more helpful though if the message didn't come out 7 hours after the bird was seen.

Sorry about the quality of the attached! Anyone else tried to photograph good birds through a Blackberry stuck on the end of a Swaro scope?! Oh well, you can tell what it is....I was at Carsi with the family and having just entered the RSPB shop to tell them I had a Yellow Wag on Stones and Hobby over, Dave text with news of a Scared Ibis off the WLC!
"Yes" said the man in the shop "its been here most of today!"
So off I trotted round to WLC hide, and there it was, in breeding nick a Sacred Ibis catching small fish and frogs!
It really looked out of place and sporting a ring on its left leg I thought "fence jumper"........anyway, I called Blackbrook Zoo, Ashbourne from the hide and was told they hadnt lost one.............as Steph said, the French population will turn up eventually but who knows where this one has come from? the French find theirs quite destructive by the way, in terms of the number of eggs and chicks they eat.....esp Marsh Tern sp. etc, so be careful what you wish for!
I text Dave back to find he was on its way, but by then I had lost it as it flew over the hide.

Anyway, next was a message from a former BF regular, and Notts birder at 6pm, who wanted to know why news of the Black Stork first seen over Beeley yesterday and now in a Youlgreave field had taken 7 hours to get out? good question I thought - digging required.....it was fresh on the pagers so I put the news as wide as poss. Some were on the way, some already there and very wazzed off.

It had been available to all in a field that anyone could have scoped so why no news?? Surely the "S" word wasnt rearing its ugly head again in Derbyshire?? After last years excuses re breeding territories etc upsetting those year listing, I assumed this BS was carrying sticks to the top of Youlgreave Church where its mate was awaiting........but no, news was just "slow" at getting out.

The Notts ASBO brigade reported the fact that it was seen by a "very competitive Derbys County lister and whats more Committee Member" and due to the general situation in County listing was not put out.

Now I dont know if this is right or wrong but I do think it will leave a very bitter taste in the mouth of some excellent County Birders who are prepared to make their findings VERY public. I thought the days of bitter in fighting amongst those in priviliged positions was long gone..........

I can only hope it sees fit to drift slowly over the County in a southerly direction, pausing briefly to circle for ten minutes over Crich Lane.

Attachments

• IMG00114.jpg
    IMG00114.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
What a strange day yesterday turned out to be!
Started off at Harboro rocks, which is an area I have been watching of late, and had 4 female Wheatear.
Went up to the moors and had 2 Hobby,2 Cuckoo,7+ Wheatear,Gropper, 2 Stonechat,Sprawk,Redpoll,Tree Pipit and several Whitethroats. Received a call from Dave to say sacred Ibis at Carsington!
No sign of the Ibis but I did have 2 Terns perched on a buoy which I thought looked good for Arctic but were very distant (did you see them Steph?) and the ad GN Diver in summer plumage was testing out its wings with several short flights.
Walking off Stones with Dave and Chris when the news came out about the Stork!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back