• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SX40 Super Zoom (1 Viewer)

Thanks Simon. I can't make my mind up betwwen the Panasonic FZ150 and the Canon. I have seen good results from the FZ150 on this thread and am sorely tempted.

However, out in the field the extra reach of the Canon will come in useful but can it still produce reasonable on screen results at the longer focal length? :smoke:

Dave,
You also have the 1.5x and 2x teleconverters built into the Canon to get you out into digiscoping territory with AF and full Image Stabilsation. The 8 fps burst speed is very good too.
Neil

Hi Neil,
another question: What do you mean with the 1,5 en 2x converter build intoe the canon? the SX40 has a 35x zoom, can you put an converter on top of it? dumb question? = sorry....
have you maybe got more bird pics made with the SX40? is it possible to post them with the exact "list" of settings?
reason is: I havent got the SX40 yet, but after seing your pictures, I am considdering it. if i get my 100-400 sold, then I need another camera, and up to now, the sx40 is nr1.
would like if you can help(though I know it does not mean I would be able to take the same pictures you do...)

I was surrounded by warblers on migration last week and the SX40hs came into it's own as I was able to photograph out the window of the hide without sticking my head out using the rotatable screen.
I used the 10fps for 8 frames burst mode for these images and Auto iso.
Neil

Attachments

• dusky warbler sx40hs IMG_0758.jpg
    dusky warbler sx40hs IMG_0758.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 791
  • plain prinia sx40hs IMG_0319.jpg
    plain prinia sx40hs IMG_0319.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 1,042
  • sb munia juv sx40hs IMG_0548.jpg
    sb munia juv sx40hs IMG_0548.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 954
  • reed warbler sx40hs IMG_0813.jpg
    reed warbler sx40hs IMG_0813.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 6,124
Last edited:
Hi Neil,
another question: What do you mean with the 1,5 en 2x converter build intoe the canon? the SX40 has a 35x zoom, can you put an converter on top of it? dumb question? = sorry....
have you maybe got more bird pics made with the SX40? is it possible to post them with the exact "list" of settings?
reason is: I havent got the SX40 yet, but after seing your pictures, I am considdering it. if i get my 100-400 sold, then I need another camera, and up to now, the sx40 is nr1.
would like if you can help(though I know it does not mean I would be able to take the same pictures you do...)

The 1.54x and 1.95x Teleconverters are Menu selectable and give the effect of a crop , but at full resolution. There is no impact on exposure either. The quality seems to be a bit better than using the Digital Zoom.

The 1.54x and 1.95x Teleconverters are Menu selectable and give the effect of a crop , but at full resolution. There is no impact on exposure either. The quality seems to be a bit better than using the Digital Zoom.

So a similar effect to what can be done in Panasonic superzooms

Niels

So a similar effect to what can be done in Panasonic superzooms

Niels

There is a reasonable review of the FZ150 here that talks about the iZoom feature which I guess is similar to the Canon version.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ150/
Traditionally Panasonic have downsized the resolution to give the appearance of magnification. Apparently the FZ150 does it differently -

"Judging from the crops above, Intelligent Resolution with i.ZOOM certainly isn't delivering any greater detail, and if anything the scaled-up view just makes the noise and noise reduction artefacts more obvious - and lest we forget, the image here was taken at 100 ISO under bright sunny conditions. But when viewed at reduced size or on smaller prints, the output looks fine and the i.ZOOM feature certainly gives you more reach in-camera. Just don't look closely, that's all."

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the two systems but I suspect that no one would have both.
Neil

Neil.... U have played with this camera for awhile now and have some solid results....realistically now provide pro's n cons.... What works? At what situation or light or distance? What is poor about it? Etc... Ready to trade in camera Plus quality lens for sx40... Why or why not?

if you are going on a birding trip for a few days....is this the camera you bringing along to capture those 'record' shots...

From my experiences with superzooms... They obviously are convenient to use... Lots of uses....can produce quality under certain conditions.... But also have limitations when used in certain situations.... I find them good travelers, but always stick with the L lens + 7D for birding adventures and shots...(although if anything, tempted by scope plus lens)... Thoughts?

Last edited:
Neil.... U have played with this camera for awhile now and have some solid results....realistically now provide pro's n cons.... What works? At what situation or light or distance? What is poor about it? Etc... Ready to trade in camera Plus quality lens for sx40... Why or why not?

if you are going on a birding trip for a few days....is this the camera you bringing along to capture those 'record' shots...

From my experiences with superzooms... They obviously are convenient to use... Lots of uses....can produce quality under certain conditions.... But also have limitations when used in certain situations.... I find them good travelers, but always stick with the L lens + 7D for birding adventures and shots...(although if anything, tempted by scope plus lens)... Thoughts?

I'm currently in the US and I brought the SX40HS along as my only birding camera ( I also have the Nikon V1 with me ). I will be doing some bird photography over the next week in Chicago and New York. I'll report my findings.
I don't like lack of Raw and no remote. The lens also "wobbles" a little when zooming in and out during videoing.
The IS is amazing and you can take videos hand held at full zoom. You can't do that with the Nikon P500.
I'd compare it with the Panasonic FZ150 before making a choice. You give up extra reach for Raw.
Neil

These 3 images were taken at 840 mm , 840 mm x 1.54 and 840 mm x 1.95 , using the in-built Teleconverter option.
Neil

Canon SX40HS
Hong Kong,
China.
Nov 2011

Attachments

• great egret heron sx40hs 154mm IMG_4420.jpg
    great egret heron sx40hs 154mm IMG_4420.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 989
  • great egret heron sx40hs 195mm IMG_4421.jpg
    great egret heron sx40hs 195mm IMG_4421.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 696
  • great egret heron sx40hs 312mm IMG_4423.jpg
    great egret heron sx40hs 312mm IMG_4423.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,070

First: comment on the pictures: Amazing !!

second: last questions for today...
were they taken at full zoom?
and thanks for the 1,5 and 2x teleconvert info.

again: though i have read quite a lot reviews on the SX40 end many were unhappy with the quality on max zoom, I must admit these you made are excellent! (if these last ones were full zoom as well)
these pictures are reason for me to get a SX40!

Dave,
You also have the 1.5x and 2x teleconverters built into the Canon to get you out into digiscoping territory with AF and full Image Stabilsation. The 8 fps burst speed is very good too.
Neil

Many thanks for your reply and all your subsequent helpful posts.

From the sound of things the image stabilisation is good even hand held at full zoom!

How do you find the speed of the autofocus on those occasions when birds are moving through vegetation or against the sky?

I should add that I am not that interested in printed results, just decent quality screen images.

Thanks again for your help :t:

Dave

Those last picks show the Teleconverter option well.
Is the shutter quiet when you take a shot and can the shutter sound be turned off ?
Thanks Rob.

First: comment on the pictures: Amazing !!

second: last questions for today...
were they taken at full zoom?
and thanks for the 1,5 and 2x teleconvert info.

again: though i have read quite a lot reviews on the SX40 end many were unhappy with the quality on max zoom, I must admit these you made are excellent! (if these last ones were full zoom as well)
these pictures are reason for me to get a SX40![/QUOT

Most are taken at full zoom or near full zoom and some are taken using 1.5x and 2x teleconverter feature.
At full zoom for bird photos I find it useful to use the hi speed burst mode.
Neil

Hi folks,
A couple of questions for those of you using one of these beasts in the wild.
After doing a full burst of shots how long does it take for the camera to be ready for shooting again ??
and
How fast / slow is the focus, especially if someone has tried this camera for bif ??
Many Thanks
Grahame

My wife complains that because of the slow update speed of the EVF that moving objects are difficult to track. I'd be interested in users comments on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back