Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 9th December 2011, 17:52   #226
Jon Turner

Hi Dan, glad to see I've graduated to full species status on your bird list!

Pretty much what you saw still there, with lots of rain arriving horizontally.

Have you noticed that a Lesser Scaup has turned up at Wimbleball? Trip to Chew now looks essential!
Old Tuesday 13th December 2011, 10:57   #227
dantheman
Bah humbug

The Wigeon hybrid probably the same bird as seen in previous years (looks the same). Considering it could well be 50% genuine translantic vagrant, a little more interesting than many 'plastic' wildfowl (Not many American Wigeon considered to be escapes?). Anyway ...

Stepped outside the back door to retrieve the dustbin blowing about in the wind, Peregrine flew over (second garden record this year), and c.50 Curlew over towards Trescobeas Road.
Old Tuesday 13th December 2011, 11:04   #228
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
Hi Dan, glad to see I've graduated to full species status on your bird list!

Pretty much what you saw still there, with lots of rain arriving horizontally.

Have you noticed that a Lesser Scaup has turned up at Wimbleball? Trip to Chew now looks essential!

Managed to get it yesterday on the way back from overall a good and successful trip to Norfolk ... Chew on the way up on friday of course (news of the Lesser Scaup breaking too late on the day to get it then.)
Old Sunday 18th December 2011, 16:49   #229
dantheman
Bah humbug

This afternoon's fun -

College Reservoir

Wigeon 192
Hybrid drake wigeon 1
Teal 16
Gadwall 1m 1f
Shoveler 3m 2f
Tufted Duck c.35
Pochard 2m 2f
Goldeneye 2f
Mute Swan 3
Coot 77
Moorhen 16
Snipe 32
Grey Heron 3
Bittern 1
Cormorant 5+
GBBGull 2
Herring Gull 50+
BH Gull 3

Marsh Tit 1
Chiffchaff sp. 2

Argal Reservoir

Mallard 38
Mute Swan 1
Cormorant 2+
Great Crested Grebe 1

Meadow Pipit 9 feeding on shoreline
Grey Wagtail 2
Pied Wagtail 3+
Chaffinch 110+
Nuthatch (1h)
GSW (1h)
Chiffchaff 1 nominate
Bullfinch 1+
Redwing c.30
Song Thrush 3+
Sparrowhawk 1
etc etc

A nice variety of species. Water levels up a lot - stone walls and building bases now underwater.

Last edited by dantheman : Sunday 18th December 2011 at 19:58.
Old Sunday 18th December 2011, 20:02   #230
dantheman
Bah humbug

Non-birding sightings in the area of a nest with 3 young voles (presumably field voles) up near Constantine, quite late and a bit of a surprise. My neighbour up there reported a pretty good year for Harvest Mice, with over 100 nests in a recent survey.
Old Monday 2nd January 2012, 14:20   #231
dantheman
Bah humbug

02/01/2011

College Reservoir

Mute Swan 2
Wigeon 220+
Shoveler 7 (4m, 3f)
Goldeneye 6 (1ad m, various m/f types)
Tufted Duck 32+
Pochard 13
Gadwall 1m
Grey Heron 2
Cormorant 4+
Bittern 2
Snipe 10+

Little Grebe 4
Moorhen 3
Coot 40+ (forgot to specifically count them)
Herring Gull 30+
LBBGull 2
GBBGull 2
Common Gull 3
BH Gull 10+

Chiffchaff 2 (probably abietinus?)
Redwing 2

A mid-afternoon recreational stroll and scan. One of the Bitterns was actively feeding along the western shore behind the waterfowl, the other hiding behind a tiny patch of reedmace on the island. The Chiffchaffs were working the floating vegetation on the island, viewed distantly but very pale looking.

Water levels back up to normal at Argal - just viewed from the car park and 3 Mallard the highlight. Other local sightings - Tawny Owls heard on the night of the 1st in Falmouth, and 12 Mute Swan and 2 Little Egret on a bend of the Penryn river (as scoped from the bedroom window!)

Happy New Year all!!!!!

Last edited by dantheman : Monday 2nd January 2012 at 14:27.
Old Monday 2nd January 2012, 15:12   #232
Jon Turner

Yellow-browed Warbler reported at Swanpool today Dan. Down for a couple of days next week......
Old Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 17:10   #233
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Yellow-browed Warbler reported at Swanpool today Dan. Down for a couple of days next week......
Yes the best bird in area, meant to mention it but forgot! Present since the 29th at least, not been that many reported recently.

I'd say good luck with the birds ... but ...

Last edited by dantheman : Tuesday 3rd January 2012 at 20:49.
Old Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 17:47   #234
dantheman
Bah humbug

Was just a bit breezy and damp this morning, but got out early afternoon to Pendennis, working around to Swanpool -

Pendennis - 1 Chiffchaff and 15+ LT Tit near leisure centre, 2 Whimbrel on the west side, 25 Dunlin flew past the point, good numbers of Gannet and Kittiwake out to sea.
Castle Beach - 1 Black Redstart (m), Common Buzzard, 17 Oystercatcher
Gyllyngvase Beach - c.25 Turnstone, 1 Dunlin, 10+ Pied Wagtail, 2 Meadow Pipit, Rock Pipit.
Swanpool Beach - 1 Stonechat.
Swanpool - 1 YELLOW-BROWED WARBLER, 1 SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF ('western' type), 1 nominate Chiffchaff, 2 Water Rail, 5+ Little Grebe.

Think that must be the 3rd winter I've had Whimbrel on Pendennis now. Presumably more do overwinter on the rocky shores in the area, presumably under-recorded. The Dunlin flock battling into the wind were more of a surprise. The warblers were on the NW corner of Swanpool, as opposed to Swanvale NR (which is the woodland immediately to the north of Swanpool I believe). Bumped into a guy (Gary Thompson?), an assistant warden for the Swanpool reserve (it was he who had the Water Rails). He told me they were hoping to get the website updated soon (didn't know there was one tbh), as the guy who had been doing it (for 300 for 2 years) wasn't doing it very often (or something like that ... I'd have done it for less, didn't say anything though!)

Lots of free-range dogs chasing the waders and pipits on the beach and rocks. There may well have been more Black reds about, as they can go inland a bit, or maybe they got blown away. Thought I'd found the Sibe Chiff, hadn't registered it had been seen the day before (doh!), and bumped into the Yellow-browed without really trying. Some nice birds.

Last edited by dantheman : Tuesday 3rd January 2012 at 20:49.
Old Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 20:43   #235
dantheman
Bah humbug

1 Greenshank, 12 Mute Swan again and a reasonable flock of maybe 50 Curlews in flight down on the Penryn River around midday (as viewed from one end of Falmouth).

Last edited by dantheman : Tuesday 3rd January 2012 at 20:50.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 10:29   #236
dantheman
Bah humbug

Went back for seconds to Pendennis and Swanpool.

Pendennis

Purple Sandpiper 7 on the point
Kestrel 1
Gannet 3+ in the bay

Gyllyngvase beach

Med Gull 1 2nd winter on the rocks
Turnstone 18
Common Gull 1 offshore

Swanpool

Great Crested Grebe 1
Little Grebe 12+
Blackcap 1m
Water Rail 2
Chiffchaff 1
Rat 1 feeding on the floating carcase of LBBGull

Swanpool Beach

Rock Pipit 3+
Whimbrel 1 on the rocks to the west
Shag 100+ in bay and on rocks

Swanvale NR

Goldcrest 2+
Bullfinch 2
Nuthatch 1
Marsh Tit 1

Didn't connect with the Yellow-browed, didn't spend too long trying though to be honest. 9:15am and the car park at Pendennis was empty when I left - bit of a contrast to yesterday. Still a fair few walkers/dogs further along though.

Last edited by dantheman : Wednesday 4th January 2012 at 16:17.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 16:58   #237
dantheman
Bah humbug

Back out this afternoon, as I couldn't face the chores I was atually meant to be doing, plus hadn't actually gotten to Argal yet this year ...

Argal Reservoir

Great Crested Grebe 1
Mallard 4
Cormorant 2
Moorhen 3 on nearby pond
Redwing 20+
Nuthatch (h)
Treecreeper 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker 1
Kestrel 1 m, later seen carrying a small bird
Grey Wagail 1
Bullfinch

College Reservoir

RING-NECKED DUCK 1 ad male
Tufted Duck 50+
Pochard 7+
Shoveler 8
Goldeneye 8
Teal 6
Gadwall 2 (mf)
Wigeon 200+
Coot 65+
Grey Heron 2
Cormorant 6+
Little Grebe 4
Dipper 1
Chiffchaff 2
Redwing 50+

An interesting visit! No Bittern, but recompense in the form of a smart yank duck. Wary and flew from one side to the other, but presumably the Gwithian/Par bird relocating. The Dipper was in the drainage channel/culvert about 100 yards NE of the reservoir (beyond the overpass).
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 20:36   #238
dantheman
Bah humbug

Unequivocally, this would appear to be a nice adult male Ring-necked Duck (the bird on the right, that is)

It seems to have been present the previous day too. Two Brambling (m and f) reported from Penryn on the 3rd too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aimage009.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	363298  
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:17   #239
Cornish Chough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Went back for seconds to Pendennis and Swanpool.

Pendennis

Purple Sandpiper 7 on the point
Kestrel 1
Gannet 3+ in the bay

Gyllyngvase beach

Med Gull 1 2nd winter on the rocks
Turnstone 18
Common Gull 1 offshore

Swanpool

Great Crested Grebe 1
Little Grebe 12+
Blackcap 1m
Water Rail 2
Chiffchaff 1
Rat 1 feeding on the floating carcase of LBBGull

Swanpool Beach

Rock Pipit 3+
Whimbrel 1 on the rocks to the west
Shag 100+ in bay and on rocks

Swanvale NR

Goldcrest 2+
Bullfinch 2
Nuthatch 1
Marsh Tit 1

Didn't connect with the Yellow-browed, didn't spend too long trying though to be honest. 9:15am and the car park at Pendennis was empty when I left - bit of a contrast to yesterday. Still a fair few walkers/dogs further along though.
Dantheman:- Swanvale seems rather under explored by birders although I make a point of visiting it when in the area. Can be a bit "hit and miss" there though.

As for Water Rail at Swanpool haven't seen any recently,are they still mainly seen from the track round the back? Saw an old boy putting out food for them there once a year or two back. Can be quite elisive at times especially when dog walkers are around.
Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 22:46   #240
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish Chough View Post
Dantheman:- Swanvale seems rather under explored by birders although I make a point of visiting it when in the area. Can be a bit "hit and miss" there though.

As for Water Rail at Swanpool haven't seen any recently,are they still mainly seen from the track round the back? Saw an old boy putting out food for them there once a year or two back. Can be quite elisive at times especially when dog walkers are around.
I admit I don't do Swanpool/Swanvale half as much as I could - maybe the people put me off and I assume that because it's had rare birds (like Little Bittern, so I hear) it gets a fair amount of coverage from all the other local falmouth birders. I ought to go more often - would make a nice walk down the valley from my place.

Last year I think it was I saw/heard 8 around Swanpool (all down the west side) during that cold spell. The guy I was chatting to mentioned he's put food out for them too. Of the 2 today one was right at the north end in the little clump of reeds by the sign, the other following the stream as viewed from the roadside on the NW side (assume that's were you mean). Views brief - need some cold weather to see them more out in the open I guess.
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 11:42   #241
Jon Turner

[quote=dantheman;2326602]I admit I don't do Swanpool/Swanvale half as much as I could - maybe the people put me off and I assume that because it's had rare birds (like Little Bittern, so I hear) it gets a fair amount of coverage from all the other local falmouth birders. I ought to go more often - would make a nice walk down the valley from my place.QUOTE]

And a very lovely Little Bittern it was too......
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 12:03   #242
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
And a very lovely Little Bittern it was too......
I'm sure it was ... . Smart birds.

The Ring-necked Duck and at least 1 normal Bittern at College still. I say at least one ... there was one in the small patch of sedge adjacent to the 'main' viewing area on the east side, as I approached it sunk down and out of view. Didn't see it again, and there was a Bittern feeding out on the end of the island as I was leaving. Could have flown over ...

Waterfowl down - 27 or so Tufties, 3 Goldeneye, 5 Pochard, only 2 Shoveler that I saw. Still 2 Gadwall and the 2 'northern' Chiffchaff. The hybrid drake Wigeon also present.

Popped by the Penryn River near Lidl on way back - 71 Curlew roosting, 22 Redshank scattered and 3 Greenshank etc
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 17:31   #243
henerz1

Quote:

Think that must be the 3rd winter I've had Whimbrel on Pendennis now. Presumably more do overwinter on the rocky shores in the area, presumably under-recorded
Hi Dan.
I too think Whimbrel overwinter in larger numbers in Cornwall than thought. I've had single regular wintering birds around the St Mawes and Gerrans Bay areas in recent winters. Plus that one at Mousehole a few years back. With so many tracts of coast that has the same habitat i'm sure there are undiscovered birds elsewhere.

Nice one with the Ring-necked Duck, Dipper and other recent finds etc.

Cheers.
Henerz.
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 17:40   #244
lostinjapan

Dan did you go back and look for the 'mystery' athya today?

Some nice bids you've had recently on your patch. Wish I'd had the same success on mine :).

Sean
Old Friday 6th January 2012, 09:57   #245
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinjapan View Post
Dan did you go back and look for the 'mystery' athya today?

Some nice bids you've had recently on your patch. Wish I'd had the same success on mine :).
Indeed I did. Only half the number of tufties though, so I think we'll ever know. Suspect it was a recently surfaced tuftie or a hybrid though, rather than anything rare. Didn't you have Waxwing the other day? - that would be a mega done here! It's all relative ...
Old Friday 6th January 2012, 09:59   #246
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by henerz1 View Post
Hi Dan.
I too think Whimbrel overwinter in larger numbers in Cornwall than thought. I've had single regular wintering birds around the St Mawes and Gerrans Bay areas in recent winters. Plus that one at Mousehole a few years back. With so many tracts of coast that has the same habitat i'm sure there are undiscovered birds elsewhere.

Nice one with the Ring-necked Duck, Dipper and other recent finds etc.
Cheers! It's a good spot at the moment, plus you have to get out there ..

I remember that Mousehole one, a tad distant ... saw a few around Cork harbour last year too ... I think there's probably even more habitat up that way. Had the two on Pendennis again this morning ...
Old Friday 6th January 2012, 10:08   #247
dantheman
Bah humbug

Highlights from this morning -

Pendennis

Red-breasted Merganser 3 in the Carrick Roads
Razorbill 2
Black-throated Diver 1 distantly in bay
Gannet 1
Whimbrel 2 on east side

Castle Beach

Black Redstart 1m (Cracking bird)
Little Egret 1

Swanpool

Pochard 3, then flew south
GCG 1
Mute Swan 8
Curlew 1 flew inland

Swanpool Beach

Mute Swan 1, Goldeneye 2 offshore
Chiffchaff 1 nearby
Little Egret 1 on rocks

Predictably, didn't do Swanvale ...

Last edited by dantheman : Friday 6th January 2012 at 20:11.
Old Saturday 7th January 2012, 19:58   #248
dantheman
Bah humbug

A little bit further afield today (but only about 4 miles as the bird flies) -

Devoran

Shelduck 22
Teal 50+
Black-tailed Godwit 22+
Bar-tailed Godwit 4
Spotted Redshank 1
Dunlin 130+
Little Egret 1

Made a brief visit on my way in to Truro this afternoon, by chance coinciding with high tide. Other birds included what seemed like a couple of hundred Curlew and a fair few Redshank, didn't do a proper count. Had wanted to go to Carnon Downs Sewage works too, but no time before the shops closed (domestic stuff, bah). The Spotted Redshank the first for Cornwall since early October according to birdguides.

Last edited by dantheman : Saturday 7th January 2012 at 20:08.
Old Sunday 8th January 2012, 07:37   #249
Dave Parker

Quote:
The Spotted Redshank the first for Cornwall since early October according to birdguides.
What you have to remember Dan, is that Birdguides and other news services are primarily interested in rarities and good local birds like spot reds slip under their radar. As such they have minimal use for scientific or conservation services which is one of the reasons CBWPS set up the Daily Sightings page on their website.
We have 3 records for St Clements, 10 for Camel Estuary 1 of 3 birds for Kingsmill and 1 for Wacker Quay since early Oct.
Remember though these are reports, so we are probably only talking about 5 or 6 birds, compare this to just 10 years ago when 45 birds (90 in 1991) were reported for the same period and you see just how quickly they have declined.

Dave
Old Monday 9th January 2012, 12:05   #250
Ilya Maclean
charlatan

Carnon Downs sewerage works and the surrounding area offered up a fairly spectacular, albeit rather bewildering array of various chiffchaff types this morning. I made the final score as follows:

two tristis (one quite vocal),
at least four sub-tristis intergrades displaying the full spectrum of characteristics from almost complete tristis to almost complete abietinus,
3 pure abientinus and
at least 50 collybitta.
Also 4 Firecrests

I also had what I can only imagine was a male hybrid Willow Warbler x Chiffchaff in full song uttering the descending song typical of Willow Warbler interspersed with chiff-chaff chiff-chaff, rather similar to two presumed hybrids I’ve come across previously. Appearance wise, it looked more like a bog-standard chiffchaff with black legs, plumage tones within the range of collybitta (albeit slightly more greeny/yellow than is typical), but with rather long primary projection.

Anybody keen to get their head around the various plumages and vocals of Chiffchaff races would do well to visit the site over the next few days, particularly as the mild weather seems to be encouraging the birds to be quite vocal.

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Monday 9th January 2012 at 19:46.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: