Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 9th January 2012, 15:58   #251
Jon Turner
Registered User
 
Jon Turner's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Carnon Downs sewerage works and the surrounding area offered up a fairly spectacular, albeit rather bewildering array of various chiffchaff types this morning. I made the final score as follows:

two tristis (one quite vocal),
at least four sub-tristis intergrades displaying the full spectrum of characteristics from almost complete tristis to almost complete abietinus,
3 pure abientinus and
at least 50 collybitta.
Also 4 Firecrests

I also had what I can only imagine was a male hybrid Willow Warbler x Chiffchaff in full song uttering the descending song typical of Willow Warbler interspersed with chiff-chaff chiff-chaff, rather similar to two presumed hybrids Ive come across previously. Appearance wise, it looked more like a bog-standard chiffchaff with black legs, plumage tones within the range of collybitta (albeit slightly more greeny/yellow than is typical), but with rather long primary projection.

Anybody keen to get their head-around the various plumages and vocals of Chiffchaff races would do well to visit the site over the next few days, particularly as the mild weather seems to be encouraging the birds to be quite vocal.
Hmm, might just do that on Thurs/Fri sometime!
__________________
Jon
Jon Turner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th January 2012, 17:29   #252
ruanite
Registered User
 
ruanite's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ruan Lanihorne, Cornwall
Posts: 56
Hello, I'm new to this but have been to Argal and Swanpool today. I took several photos of which some I don't know what they are. I think I have two strange coloured mallards, a great crested grebe and a goldeneye but would be glad of a bit of help to confirm this.
Thanks very much
Carol
ruanite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th January 2012, 18:25   #253
Tinbum
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Falmouth
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanite View Post
Hello, I'm new to this but have been to Argal and Swanpool today. I took several photos of which some I don't know what they are. I think I have two strange coloured mallards, a great crested grebe and a goldeneye but would be glad of a bit of help to confirm this.
Thanks very much
Carol
I was at swanpool today too! Unfortunately I'm very new to this so can't really help, but it was the variety I've seen there and along swanvale today which has led to me joining this forum.
Tinbum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 9th January 2012, 18:38   #254
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanite View Post
Hello, I'm new to this but have been to Argal and Swanpool today. I took several photos of which some I don't know what they are. I think I have two strange coloured mallards, a great crested grebe and a goldeneye but would be glad of a bit of help to confirm this.
Thanks very much
Carol
These all seem plausible, but it would be easier to verify if you attached photos. You can do this by clicking the Manage Attachments button in the additional options section displayed below the text reply box. Funny-coloured Mallards are nothing out of the ordinary.
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Monday 9th January 2012 at 19:45.
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th January 2012, 09:44   #255
ruanite
Registered User
 
ruanite's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ruan Lanihorne, Cornwall
Posts: 56
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
These all seem plausible, but it would be easier to verify if you attached photos. You can do this by clicking the Manage Attachments button in the additional options section displayed below the text reply box. Funny-coloured Mallards are nothing out of the ordinary.
Thanks, I hopefully have attached photos of the Mallards and Great Crested Grebe. The Goldeneye was wrong. I believe I saw a little Grebe at Swanpool and there was a Cormorant there as well.
The first one is not very good as they were a long way out on Argal. the other two were at Swanpool. The last I saw at Argal and Swanpool.
Carol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07682.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	364134  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07702.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	364135  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07705.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	364136  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07710.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	364137  
ruanite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th January 2012, 13:30   #256
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Back at Carnon Downs with Mark Grantham today to get some more phyllosc action. In addition to a Yellow-browed Warbler, one of the tristis was in full song, sounding similar to this one recorded in Siberia.

We (by we, I mean Mark) managed to catch 42 of the 60+ Chiffchaffs present. Mark has the final totals, but of the birds caught, I reckon c. 20-30% were abientinus with at least a couple closer to, but not perfect tristis.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanite View Post
Thanks, I hopefully have attached photos of the Mallards and Great Crested Grebe. The Goldeneye was wrong. I believe I saw a little Grebe at Swanpool and there was a Cormorant there as well.
The first one is not very good as they were a long way out on Argal. the other two were at Swanpool. The last I saw at Argal and Swanpool.
Carol
Images 1-3 show various Mallards, 4 a Great Crested Grebe.
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th January 2012, 17:18   #257
ruanite
Registered User
 
ruanite's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ruan Lanihorne, Cornwall
Posts: 56
Is this a white wagtail or a juvenile pied?

Thanks Ilya for answering my queries on the mallards and grebe.
Could you possibly help with a couple more? This wagtail has been about for a few days and I saw two today but I can't make up my mind which type it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07767.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	364394  Click image for larger version

Name:	White Wagtail.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	364395  
ruanite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th January 2012, 18:43   #258
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanite View Post
Thanks Ilya for answering my queries on the mallards and grebe.
Could you possibly help with a couple more? This wagtail has been about for a few days and I saw two today but I can't make up my mind which type it is.
Both photos show a Pied Wagtail - the most common type.
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 13th January 2012, 12:17   #259
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Not quite Falmouth, but two Yellow-browed Warblers at Gwennap Sewerage works this morning and another Siberian Chiffchaff. One of the Yellow-broweds was doing a pretty good impression of a Hume's Warbler appearance wise and I honestly thought it was going to turn into one. Then it called...
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 14:50   #260
ruanite
Registered User
 
ruanite's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ruan Lanihorne, Cornwall
Posts: 56
Fal Estuary at Ruan

Hi All,
Took this photo earlier today at Ruan. The bird I was aiming at moved so not in focus but on closer inspection there are two other birds in the photo. Are the other two Snipe?
So far this week, loads of Wigeon, 4 Redshanks, lots of Curlew, 2 Little Egret, 1 Greenshank, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Heron, 13 Mallards, loads of Lapwings, Black Headed Gulls and 4 Black Backed Gulls. Also nice photo today of a fox jumping the river.
C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07824.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	364857  
ruanite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 17:13   #261
Jon Turner
Registered User
 
Jon Turner's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Not quite Falmouth, but two Yellow-browed Warblers at Gwennap Sewerage works this morning and another Siberian Chiffchaff. One of the Yellow-broweds was doing a pretty good impression of a Hume's Warbler appearance wise and I honestly thought it was going to turn into one. Then it called...
Festering Yellow-browed Warblers.......

3 Sessions at Swanpool, a visit to Gwennap yesterday and a brief visit to Carnon Downs this lunchtime, and I saw not even one.......

On the way home saw a lovely Glosy Ibis though....
__________________
Jon
Jon Turner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 17:25   #262
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
Festering Yellow-browed Warblers.......

3 Sessions at Swanpool, a visit to Gwennap yesterday and a brief visit to Carnon Downs this lunchtime, and I saw not even one.......

On the way home saw a lovely Glosy Ibis though....
Bad luck mate - I'm sure more will turn up, or a repeated visit or two might turn up the goods.

Photos above show two snipe, a pochard and a blurry bird that I wouldn't like to bit a definite id to.
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 17:31   #263
lozzjazz
Lawrence Sampson
 
lozzjazz's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Falmouth
Posts: 46
Snipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanite View Post
Hi All,
Took this photo earlier today at Ruan. The bird I was aiming at moved so not in focus but on closer inspection there are two other birds in the photo. Are the other two Snipe?
So far this week, loads of Wigeon, 4 Redshanks, lots of Curlew, 2 Little Egret, 1 Greenshank, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Heron, 13 Mallards, loads of Lapwings, Black Headed Gulls and 4 Black Backed Gulls. Also nice photo today of a fox jumping the river.
C
Yes, they are snipe. Well done for spotting them in the photo when looking back at it, I would have struggled to notice them!
lozzjazz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 17:50   #264
lozzjazz
Lawrence Sampson
 
lozzjazz's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Falmouth
Posts: 46
Penryn estuary and Swanpool

1+ med gulls on the estuary today - the first I've seen any in a few weeks now. The regulars included:
greenshank (3+)
turnstone (10)
redshank (15)
curlew (40+) comming in to roost and (6) feeding on the mud.
little egret (1)
etc.

Down at swanpool yesterday enjoying the birds (water rail was the highlight, couldn't find the yellow-browed). Unfortunately one man using a remote controlled speed boat thought it was a good idea to drive it into the swans/moorhens etc. This was while others were trying to feed the birds and take photos. Most birds left the area apart from the agitated swans. When I politely confronted him, he told me it was none of my business, but seemed to get the idea and left soon after.
lozzjazz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 18:46   #265
Dave Parker
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Photos above show two snipe, a pochard and a blurry bird that I wouldn't like to bit a definite id to.
I think you will find your Pochard is a drake Wigeon.

Dave
Dave Parker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 20:16   #266
Jon Turner
Registered User
 
Jon Turner's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzjazz View Post

Down at swanpool yesterday enjoying the birds (water rail was the highlight, couldn't find the yellow-browed). Unfortunately one man using a remote controlled speed boat thought it was a good idea to drive it into the swans/moorhens etc. This was while others were trying to feed the birds and take photos. Most birds left the area apart from the agitated swans. When I politely confronted him, he told me it was none of my business, but seemed to get the idea and left soon after.
Well done to you!

Glad I didn't see it when I was there yesterday!
__________________
Jon
Jon Turner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 20:20   #267
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
I think you will find your Pochard is a drake Wigeon.

Dave
Aye - you are of course totally correct:-) Didn't look at it particularly carefully, although that's not really much of an excuse given the completely wigeon like and very un-pochard like rear end. I'm sure there's a lesson in there about not knowing one's clunis from one's cubitis, or more precisely one ar*e from another.....
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ilya Maclean : Saturday 14th January 2012 at 20:32.
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 21:05   #268
Dave Parker
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
I'm sure there's a lesson in there about not knowing one's clunis from one's cubitis, or more precisely one ar*e from another.....
Or your an*s from your aythya!
Dave Parker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 14th January 2012, 21:37   #269
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
Or your an*s from your aythya!
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 16th January 2012, 15:12   #270
ruanite
Registered User
 
ruanite's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ruan Lanihorne, Cornwall
Posts: 56
Thanks all

Hope you guys are ok with me asking these questions on here. I'm getting better with my local birds but still need a little help.
I have had a bullfinch coming to my garden this week which is only the second I've every seen around here. I took this photo this afternoon and my bird book has been much help in id. I'm sure you guys will know what it is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07905.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	365232  
ruanite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 16th January 2012, 15:30   #271
Ilya Maclean
charlatan
 
Ilya Maclean's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanite View Post
Hope you guys are ok with me asking these questions on here. I'm getting better with my local birds but still need a little help.
I have had a bullfinch coming to my garden this week which is only the second I've every seen around here. I took this photo this afternoon and my bird book has been much help in id. I'm sure you guys will know what it is!
It's a Dunnock
__________________
Visit my website: http://piratebirding.blogspot.com/
Ilya Maclean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 17th January 2012, 18:48   #272
lozzjazz
Lawrence Sampson
 
lozzjazz's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Falmouth
Posts: 46
Kittiwake

OK, so it's not exactly Falmouth, and it's not rare, but a lovely kittiwake was chilling in St Mawes harbour today - quite unusual to see one so close (<4 metres) at this time of year!
lozzjazz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th January 2012, 21:26   #273
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 11,466
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzjazz View Post
OK, so it's not exactly Falmouth, and it's not rare, but a lovely kittiwake was chilling in St Mawes harbour today - quite unusual to see one so close (<4 metres) at this time of year!
Not Falmouth indeed, how dare you!!!

Any pics? Would say that maybe it was unwell, on the other hand, maybe it just thought it was on the Farnes or somewhere and got its dates wrong ...
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th January 2012, 21:35   #274
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 11,466
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
What you have to remember Dan, is that Birdguides and other news services are primarily interested in rarities and good local birds like spot reds slip under their radar. As such they have minimal use for scientific or conservation services which is one of the reasons CBWPS set up the Daily Sightings page on their website.
We have 3 records for St Clements, 10 for Camel Estuary 1 of 3 birds for Kingsmill and 1 for Wacker Quay since early Oct.
Remember though these are reports, so we are probably only talking about 5 or 6 birds, compare this to just 10 years ago when 45 birds (90 in 1991) were reported for the same period and you see just how quickly they have declined.
I knew that couldn't be the full picture, cheers! Crossed my mind that the previous report had also been further 'upstream' in the area and so could even easily have been the same bird, unreported since ...
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th January 2012, 21:40   #275
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 11,466
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Maclean View Post
Carnon Downs sewerage works and the surrounding area offered up a fairly spectacular, albeit rather bewildering array of various chiffchaff types this morning. I made the final score as follows:

two tristis (one quite vocal),
at least four sub-tristis intergrades displaying the full spectrum of characteristics from almost complete tristis to almost complete abietinus,
3 pure abientinus and
at least 50 collybitta.
Also 4 Firecrests

I also had what I can only imagine was a male hybrid Willow Warbler x Chiffchaff in full song uttering the descending song typical of Willow Warbler interspersed with chiff-chaff chiff-chaff, rather similar to two presumed hybrids I’ve come across previously. Appearance wise, it looked more like a bog-standard chiffchaff with black legs, plumage tones within the range of collybitta (albeit slightly more greeny/yellow than is typical), but with rather long primary projection.

Anybody keen to get their head around the various plumages and vocals of Chiffchaff races would do well to visit the site over the next few days, particularly as the mild weather seems to be encouraging the birds to be quite vocal.
Nice one! I so wanted to get there that day last week, it was pay a quick visit to the sewage farm or into Truro to find a 40th wedding anniversary present for the parents before the shops closed ... unfortunately!

Another week and I'll be back from France, so maybe get another go ...
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hummingbird Hawkmoth in Asda, Falmouth ...? dantheman Butterflies and Moths 4 Sunday 7th February 2010 12:50
Various Gulls, Falmouth, Cornwall, UK GorgeousTony Bird Identification Q&A 9 Thursday 31st December 2009 05:54
Pipits - Falmouth, Cornwall, UK GorgeousTony Bird Identification Q&A 4 Monday 29th December 2008 19:37
Falmouth in early August JRE Cornwall 8 Saturday 5th January 2008 10:13
Falmouth Pelagics Chris Mason Sea Watch 0 Thursday 29th July 2004 20:01



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.23881006 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:33.