Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 7th December 2010, 18:30   #101
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Turner View Post
Yesterday, the Common Scoter was diving just off the beach! The Tufted Duck was still out in the bay, and a Grebe of some sort seen through the bins but couldn't subsequently find it when I got the scope up!
... did you discount Black Scoter? ...

Hopefully out tomorrow, so will be checking the area.
Old Tuesday 7th December 2010, 18:44   #102
dantheman
Bah humbug

Incidentally, referring back to an earlier post;

Quote:
Dan, you're not going to like it but I just had a message from a friend (an interested party, but not a birdwatcher) in Falmouth who saw, identified and photographed a Wryneck in a Falmouth garden last Saturday. They live in the area behind Gyllingvase beach.
Not surprised tbh, nor too disappointed. On my Falmouth list - had one behind the reservoirs a couple of autumns ago, bit of a shock at the time tbh.

The slope behind Gyllyngvase beach/by pendennis must get some good birds -in the Snowy Owl 'influx' involving the Zennor bird, one was seen and photographed on the wall above the beach - now that would have been good to get.

Currently there is a Lesser Whitethroat (presumably of an 'Eastern race') overwintering somewhere in a private garden in Falmouth - reported on the cbwps on several recent dates, along with 9 Blackcap on one occasion.
Old Tuesday 7th December 2010, 20:57   #103
Dave Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post

Currently there is a Lesser Whitethroat (presumably of an 'Eastern race') overwintering somewhere in a private garden in Falmouth - reported on the cbwps on several recent dates, along with 9 Blackcap on one occasion.
No, it has been reported as the race curruca. Although no details or description have been supplied (to my knowledge). However, why would they, if the bird is of the nominate race?

Dave
Old Tuesday 7th December 2010, 21:22   #104
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
No, it has been reported as the race curruca. Although no details or description have been supplied (to my knowledge). However, why would they, if the bird is of the nominate race?
Cheers, my post above was more of a querying, meant to put a question mark, oops. Late birds often suspected of being 'eastern', I was thinking winter birds have been too, but could well be wrong.

Good record nonetheless.
Old Tuesday 7th December 2010, 22:50   #105
Jon Turner

Quote:
... did you discount Black Scoter? ...
Are Black Scoter cheap then?
Old Wednesday 8th December 2010, 12:48   #106
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Are Black Scoter cheap then?
Certainly 'reduced' in recent years ... (ok, only from one down to zero I guess).

Was hoping it would be a nice male with a big yellow conk, but it was a female, so best not go there ...

Wondering if I may have solved your grebe situation - there was a female Goldeneye out there today with the scoter, diving just offshore? (Although that's not to say there haven't been a few, or even hundreds, of grebes passing by recently ... )

Last edited by dantheman : Wednesday 8th December 2010 at 13:31.
Old Wednesday 8th December 2010, 13:10   #107
dantheman
Bah humbug

The highlights of this morning;

Pendennis Point -
Purple Sandpiper 2
Turnstone 1

between PP and Swanpool (Falmouth beach, Gyllyngvase) -
Curlew 1
Knot 1
Ringed Plover 1
Med Gull 2
Chiffchaff 1
Black Redstart 1 female type
Blackcap 2 in a garden

On the sea just off Swanpool beach -
Common Scoter 1
Goldeneye 1

Swanpool -
Firecrest 1
Pochard 2
Common Gull 1

Of 70 Black-headed Gulls on the car park at Swanpool, 7 were oiled, one fairly badly.
Old Wednesday 8th December 2010, 13:38   #108
Jon Turner

Quote:
Wondering if I may have solved your grebe situation - there was a female Goldeneye out there today with the scoter, diving just offshore? (Although that's not to say there haven't been a few, or even hundreds, of grebes passing by recently ... )
It certainly wasn't a Goldeneye. I didn't have much time to keep looking and it wasn't exactly warm!

I saw 2 quite badly oiled BH Gulls on Monday..... both trying clean it off and probably ingesting it so not good.
Old Thursday 9th December 2010, 19:23   #109
jacana
Will Jones

with Waxwings popping up around the county, has anyone noticed any berry patches in Falmouth/Penryn?

There's a large patch of red Cotoneaster near Lidl for starters
Latest World 2017: Black Guillemot (305)
Old Tuesday 14th December 2010, 09:14   #110
Cornish Chough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacana View Post
with Waxwings popping up around the county, has anyone noticed any berry patches in Falmouth/Penryn?

There's a large patch of red Cotoneaster near Lidl for starters
Not exactly 100's of Waxwing in Cornwall just a few here & there. Wonder if we will get an increase in numbers with the weather turning colder from Friday onwards?

Hopefully so as I haven't seen any of the waxwing in Cornwall yet.
Old Tuesday 14th December 2010, 11:07   #111
jacana
Will Jones

I'd imagine that if we get any numbers of them at all, then it'll be in the new year.
Old Saturday 25th December 2010, 15:48   #112
dantheman
Bah humbug

Not exactly the obligatory christmas day after dinner walk (had sandwiches for lunch, we're cooking tonight), but did the reservoirs this afternoon. College was almost totally frozen over, with 3 smallish patches unfrozen containing some hundreds of waterfowl. Argal completely frozen over, except for a small area where the stream enters it on the eastern side, and a smaller area under the trees near the car park. A solitary Lapwing flew over as I approached the reservoirs.

College Res highlights;

Wigeon c. 190
Gadwall 16+
Pochard 8
Canada Goose 43 + 2 hybrids
Snipe 3 (h)
Common Gull 1
Firecrest 1

Coot slightly down on recent numbers, Tufted more so. A number of gulls out on the ice, no swans or herons.

Argal Res - all waterfowl and other highlights

Mallard 16 (+ 12)
Teal 1
Tufted Duck 3
Goldeneye 3
Pochard 2
Coot 2
Moorhen 1
Grey Heron 1
BH Gull 12
Snipe 3
Cormorant 1 flyover

Treecreeper 2 (both at southern end with tit flock)
Firecrest 1
Goldcrest 1
Redwing 20+
Fieldfare 5
Stock Dove 1

Last edited by dantheman : Sunday 26th December 2010 at 09:21. Reason: major inaccuracy - it were 3 tufties ;)
Old Saturday 25th December 2010, 15:56   #113
dantheman
Bah humbug

Flushed a Meadow Pipit from the garden as I left for my birding this afternoon, plenty of death-dicing Song Thrushes and Redwings on the roadside verges, and added Snipe to my 'seen from garden' list as one flew past on my return.

Oystercatchers have been back on the Trescobeas Road playing field several times in the last weeks at least, a Mistle Thrush on the roof of the fire station on my way back too just now.
Blackcaps (2+) in gardens behind the Citizens Advice Bureau in town.

Just need to make the effort to scour a few gardens around town and find those Waxwing or a wintering rare thrush or something ...
Old Tuesday 28th December 2010, 14:55   #114
dantheman
Bah humbug

The festive season continues ...

Family down so I'm (mostly kicking and screaming) a tourist for a while. Swanpool has thawed, 2 Chiffchaff, a Goldcrest, 2 Pochard and a Shoveler the most excitement I could muster around the pool itself (with Water Rail heard, 7+ Little Grebes etc). Swanpool beach had a (the?) Goldeneye just offshore, with Stonechat and a Black Redstart on the rocks joining the Rock and Meadow pipits on the beach.

Season's Greetings to all. Bah ...
Old Wednesday 29th December 2010, 17:39   #115
Simon Valle

Short walk around Tremough Campus in the afternoon.

Apart from the usual crowd of redwings and other resident species....

two bramblings at the back of Tremough House.

cheers...

Simon
Old Wednesday 29th December 2010, 21:01   #116
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Valle View Post
Short walk around Tremough Campus in the afternoon.

Apart from the usual crowd of redwings and other resident species....

two bramblings at the back of Tremough House.

cheers...

Simon
Nice one, and welcome to BF . Does this mean you're based at the uni? (There's a couple of other regular posters on here from Falmouth Uni). Might see you around if you're birding in the area ...

Other news from the 'recording area' - 7 Bewick's Swans at Stithians Reservoir (must be fairly mega for the area?), and a Bittern reported at College reservoir this morning! 3 Sanderling on Swanpool beach yesterday.

All good birds, and think I know what I should be doing tomorrow ...

Last edited by dantheman : Thursday 30th December 2010 at 09:04.
Old Thursday 30th December 2010, 09:20   #117
Simon Valle

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm a former Tremough student now based in Penryn, but the campus grounds are always a good place for birds..

Quote:
...and a Bittern reported at College reservoir this morning! ...
I've first seen the bird (I assume it is always the same one) on the 11th of December, so it seems it has been there for a while now. It is definitely worth a trip as chances are that is going to spend some more time there...

cheers
Old Thursday 30th December 2010, 15:29   #118
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Valle View Post
I've first seen the bird (I assume it is always the same one) on the 11th of December, so it seems it has been there for a while now. It is definitely worth a trip as chances are that is going to spend some more time there...
Cheers. Might be nice to meet up and do some birding in the new year if you're up for it ever ... And definitely the more the merrier on this thread ...

On the Bittern front -given the weather and the influx there was always going to be a chance of one - but nice find and thanks for the info. Showing today on the east side of the island briefly ... excellent birds ...

... I know that because I did the right thing and went birding this afternoon ...

College Reservoir

Wigeon 172
Coot 206
Tufted Duck 45
Pochard 24+
Mallard 8+
Shoveler 4 (1m, 3f)
Mute Swan 6
Little Grebe 3
Teal 53+
GBBGull 3
Herring Gull 30+
Canada Goose 40
Gadwall 26
Cormorant 11
Goldeneye 2
Moorhen 1
Grey Heron 2
Bittern 1
Water Rail (h)

Raven 1
Great Spotted Woodpecker 2
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker 1 (male)
Pied Wagtail 3

The Lesser Woodie probably trumps everything else - not sure but I can't see any recent records from this part of the world. It was down in the woodland on the west side of the island.

Argal Reservoir

Tufted duck 3
Pochard 1
Goosander 1 f
Goldeneye 1 f
Mallard 5
Coot 3
Moorhen 1
Cormorant 7
Black-headed Gull 20+

Firecrest 1
Goldcrest 1
Raven 2
Jackdaw 160
Rook 40
Skylark 1
Coal Tit 1

And then the non-waterbird stuff invariably always seen like Buzzard, Jay etc etc

And finally, 58 Curlew on the Trescobeas Road playing field ....

Last edited by dantheman : Thursday 30th December 2010 at 15:33.
Old Friday 31st December 2010, 19:02   #119
dantheman
Bah humbug

49 Curlew on the Trescobeas Road playing field late this afternoon. Half a dozen Redwing on the other side of the lane on the grass in front of the Falmouth School - that is, until one was taken out by a Sparrowhawk ...

... then there about 5.

Last edited by dantheman : Friday 31st December 2010 at 22:39.
Old Saturday 1st January 2011, 16:52   #120
dantheman
Bah humbug

A new year dawns ... and time to get a new yearlist going again ...

Did the two main areas on foot today. Got a little overexcited or otherwise overestimated how long it would take to walk to Pendennis Point from home, as I arrived at about 7:15 and it was still far too dark to actually see any birds, let alone identify them ... Doh! . Had a pretty amazing purple 'ten minutes' at the point with new birds flying in left, right and centre, including two new patch ticks for me. Then the walk along the seafront to Swanpool, one circuit, and then up the valley and through town to the Penryn river. The tide rising now, and so seeming relatively quiet on the wader front. Through Penryn and up to College Reservoir, around Argal Reservoir, and through the fields back home by 15:45. Dipped on all the good birds from 2 days ago, of course, although of course there were some compensations ... like yet more jolly happy people saying hello and wishing you a happy new year ... Bah! Disturbing all my birds ... Covered about 12 miles in total, totally knackered now, but considering I haven't walked anything like that for ages, and a distinct lack of sleep not too bad an effort at all really.
After the good start (40 species by the time I'd left Pendennis), things slowed considerably,and lots of gaps for what have been everyday birds just up until recently (eg Chiffchaff and Firecrest, Raven and Rook, Sprawk and Feral Pigeon). But you lose some, you gain some. 74 Species or so in total. And even a couple of cameos from the invertebrates too - a Silverfish in the bathroom before I left (!), and a Red Admiral flying through Falmouth mid-morning.

Last edited by dantheman : Saturday 1st January 2011 at 17:10.
Old Saturday 1st January 2011, 17:49   #121
dantheman
Bah humbug

And the highlights ...

Pendennis Point

Whimbrel 1 on the point (initially heard at 7:30am, same or another seen at approx 8:30)
Peregrine 1 flew from St Anthony's direction towards Falmouth
Eider 3 near Black Rock (2 of which appeared to fly in)
Great Northern Diver 1 flew north past St Anthony's head
Pintail 1 drake flew south from the roads, alighting on the sea off Castle Point
Wigeon 3
Gannet 3 out to sea
(Also had a possible Merlin fly out to sea, but think I'll just have to let that one go ... )

Falmouth Beach (between Pendennis and Swanpool)

Black Redstart 3+
Mediterranean Gull 1
Little Egret 1
Curlew 2

Swanpool

Goldeneye 1 diving just off the beach
Water Rail 1 in the woodland just to the north
Stonechat 2 on the beach
Blackcap 3
Mediterranean Gull 2 on the rocks

Penryn River

Curlew 4
Greenshank 1
Redshank 7
Little Egret 2
Turnstone 6
Teal 20+
Little Grebe 4

College Reservoir

Kingfisher 2
Treecreeper 1 on track to Argal Home Farm
Snipe 4
The usual wildfowl, lots

Argal Reservoir

Common Gull 1
Skylark 150+ in stubble fields south of Argal Home Farm
Chaffinch 250+ in stubble fields south of Argal Home Farm

Also - Several Flocks of up to 95 Redwing, with 2 singletons each of Mistle Thrush and Fieldfare. Tawny Owls heard on Trescobeas Road and Pendennis peninsula.

Last edited by dantheman : Sunday 2nd January 2011 at 16:02.
Old Saturday 1st January 2011, 21:21   #122
henerz1

Nice one with the Lesser Pecker at College Res. Dan. It's not a bird I managed to connect with in Cornwall, let alone my old local patch! Between Falmouth and upto Truro at Tresillian are reportedly a few haunts of this species.

Great to hear about your new years day exploits, that circuit of sites and impressive selection of species brings back good memories.
Thanks. Henerz.
Old Sunday 2nd January 2011, 19:55   #123
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by henerz1 View Post
Nice one with the Lesser Pecker at College Res. Dan. It's not a bird I managed to connect with in Cornwall, let alone my old local patch! Between Falmouth and upto Truro at Tresillian are reportedly a few haunts of this species.

Great to hear about your new years day exploits, that circuit of sites and impressive selection of species brings back good memories.
Thanks. Henerz.
Cheers Will have to tot up the reservoirs list soon. Still missing out on the rare ducks and gulls though ...

Forget to put in the 3 Wigeon which also flew in whilst I was at Pendennis - it was definitely the most action I've had there - it's usually dead! Might have to get there for that first half hour of the day as standard - previously I've always walked the woods on the peninsula first (unproductively). Eider and Pintail were new for my patch list, was watching the GND (first this winter, shockingly) when the Pintail flew into the scope view! It was also interesting going up to College from Penryn - never done that before. Some nice habitat, along with the fact that I now know Pendennis is within walking distance, think I'll certainly be doing it again (although maybe not both routes on the same day).

Spent today recovering - old age or what?!

And good luck with your NW local listing challenge ...
Old Friday 7th January 2011, 14:49   #124
jacana
Will Jones

That Lesser Spot is a really good record! I'm back in Falmouth now so I'll have to go and find him!
Old Monday 10th January 2011, 08:56   #125
dantheman
Bah humbug

Did the coast yesterday;

Onto the Pendennis peninsula shortly after first light. First dog walkers about already, with Redwing and Blackbird on the top. Arriving out of the woods along the eastern side, and scanning the shore, a medium sized brown wading bird popped into view clambering over the rocks - a Whimbrel! Moving to a better viewpoint, I realised there were 2, and when they flew further towards the Falmouth direction, they were joined by a third! Have to admit that whilst they are possibly under-recorded as a wintering species, I'm unaware of a count of 3 in mid-winter before. It's not as if we're having a mild winter or anything ...

Anyway, moving on, the sea was really quite calm, but I couldn't pick up anything interesting on it all. A flock of 16 Greenfinch on the peninsula was notable. On the grassy slope and concrete wall above Falmouth Beach were a total of 3 Black Redstart - 1 slightly scruffy, but smart nonetheles, male and one pale winter bird in the corner of the peninsula, with another slightly darker bird (1st w male?) about halfway to Gyllynvase beach.

Pendennis -

Whimbrel 3
Greenfinch 16+
Blackcap 1
Kestrel 1

Falmouth Beach

Black Redstart 3
Oystercatcher 23
Mediterranean Gull 1

Gyllyngvase

Chiffchaff 1 - in 'public' gardens behind beach

Swanpool Beach

Stonechat 2
Goldeneye 1 offshore
LBBGulll 1
Fulmar 9 on their regular cliff
Razorbill 1 (off Pennance Point)

Twenty plus Curlew on the Trescobeas Road mid afternoon. Paid a visit to Stithians to see the Bewick's Swans - successful! A mixed flock of thrushes in the fields behind comprised c.20 Fieldfare, 2+ Song Thrush, c.6 Redwing, Blackbird and Starling.

Last edited by dantheman : Monday 10th January 2011 at 15:37.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: