Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 16th June 2004, 02:45   #1
weather
Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow

Is this turtle laying eggs?

Is this turtle laying eggs, and what kind of turtle? Found her at a local patch in Ohio. She was moving her legs back and forth, making a mudpie.

Thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turtle.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	10030  Click image for larger version

Name:	turtle2.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	10031  

Music blog:
MySpace Music

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th June 2004, 07:45   #2
Charles Harper
Régisseur

Hi Mike, looks like she's trying to. And it looks like a Pseudymys, a painted turtle or scooter or some species, if I've got my names right-- it's been a long time. Somebody with a book should be along soon....

...Janine?

Old Wednesday 16th June 2004, 09:16   #3
Tanny
Registered Member

Nice photoes Mike. I studdied marine Turtles for over eight years and they dug out a nesting chamber like this one is doing, however I am interested to see that this fresh water turtle is digging in wet mud and if she lays, then the eggs are liable to smother as they need to breath. Was she alternating each hind foot into the mud and bringing out the residue that we can see behind her. You were witnessing a rare occasion in nature, I do hope you waited to watch and photograph all the action. If you didn't then you have missed a chance of a lifetime.
Tanny, (Once known in Australia as Tanny the Turtle Tagger)
Old Wednesday 16th June 2004, 13:11   #4
weather
Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanny
Nice photoes Mike. I studdied marine Turtles for over eight years and they dug out a nesting chamber like this one is doing, however I am interested to see that this fresh water turtle is digging in wet mud and if she lays, then the eggs are liable to smother as they need to breath. Was she alternating each hind foot into the mud and bringing out the residue that we can see behind her. You were witnessing a rare occasion in nature, I do hope you waited to watch and photograph all the action. If you didn't then you have missed a chance of a lifetime.
Tanny, (Once known in Australia as Tanny the Turtle Tagger)
Well...It wouldn't be the first time I missed the chance of a lifetime. Yes, she was alternating her legs, just like I've seen Sea Turtles do on the beach. That's what tipped me off that she was probably laying eggs. It looked as if she wasn't going to finish for a long time, and we had to move on. I'll try to go back and take some pics of the nest tomorrow.

Mike

Music blog:
MySpace Music

Old Wednesday 16th June 2004, 15:52   #5
janine13

Looks like a western painted turtle, Chrysemys picta bellii.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: