Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 3rd August 2006, 09:59   #1
rachk116

Thumbs up Camargue in September

Can anyone help me?

I'm planning to go to the Camargue in the middle of September this year and was wondering how good it is at that time of year. I'm interested in the raptors, but am thinking it may just be a little too late for the main migration. Have looked at the Collins Bird Guide and it says that Little Bustard and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse are there all year round. Is this right and if so, where are the places to see them?

Also, does anyone know of any good self-catering places in the area?

All help will be greatfully received.

Last edited by rachk116 : Thursday 3rd August 2006 at 10:06.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2006, 16:31   #2
scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachk116
Can anyone help me?

I'm planning to go to the Camargue in the middle of September this year and was wondering how good it is at that time of year. I'm interested in the raptors, but am thinking it may just be a little too late for the main migration. Have looked at the Collins Bird Guide and it says that Little Bustard and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse are there all year round. Is this right and if so, where are the places to see them?

You're in for a great trip. For a rough synopsis you could have a look at this page http://www.limosaholidays.co.uk/trip...m?reportID=177.
I'm sure there are many others with greater local expertise but for starters on the Camargue itself in Sept you can expect Marsh Harrier, Black Kite, Hobby, Short Toed Eagle, and perhaps Osprey.
For the PT Sandgrouse and Little Bustard you need to go to 'La Crau' http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sit...p&sid=2328&m=0
Les Baux de Provence is another great spot. http://www.naturalist.co.uk/reports2003/campyr.php
Some people prefer to stay near Arles rather than mix it with the voracious mozzies in the Camargue.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2006, 17:15   #3
Bubbs

Hi rachk116,

September will be brill. The following is an advert from the British Birds monthly journal.

Provence - Camargue. Two self catering cottages. Rogers, mas d' Auphan, Le Sambuc, 13200 ARLES, France. Tel (0033) 490 972041. e-mail p.m.rogers@wanadoo.fr

These people have advertised in BB for years. I haven't been to this accommodation but I have been to the Camargue and it's beautiful and full of birds.

John.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2006, 17:27   #4
breggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachk116
Can anyone help me?

Hi
I spent a week there in September last year and had a reasonable trip.
It was not outstanding for raptors though.
La Crau was good for Little Bustard a very good trip report here. I had reasonable views of Litlle Bustard but tried without luck for a couple of days for Sandgrouse.
Les Baux is certainly worth a visiit, too early for Wallcreeper of course, but did have Blue Rock Thrush and Crag Martin there. There is a reasonably relaible Eagle Own site there too but I didn't see or hear any on the only evening I spent in the area. I also had Alpine Swifts at the radar station at La Caume nearby.
I slept in the back of my estate rental car by the saline lagoons! and if you can stand the mozzies its brilliant as you pretty much have the place to yourself late evening and early morning and the sun rises and sun sets are out of this world. Although it can smell a bit down there!!!
Highlights here included huge numbers of waders including Temmincks Stints, Kentish Plovers also Ortolan Bunting and Caspian Tern. There we at least 1500 Greater Flamingo in the lagoons in and around the area which are great value in the evenings.

I was amazed at how few birders there were in the area in fact I don't remember seeing another birder the entire week I was there!!!

Have a good trip
Breggie
Old Saturday 5th August 2006, 17:15   #5
rachk116

Thanks guys,

Am really looking forward to my trip. Thanks for all the info on birds. The trip reports were a great help. I had seen the accommodation online at http://www.camargue-nature.co.uk/index.htm. They look very nice. Will update you when I get back. Thanks again.
Old Wednesday 29th August 2007, 19:36   #6
Nerabus

Hi rach116
I get to the Camargue most May & September. Try the airfield at Eguyieres for Little Bustard early morning, you may get Sandgrouse there but Peau de Meau in Le Crau is your best bet look out for shrikes also.
Le Capeliere is worth a visit half way round Etang du Vaccares for waders and Penduline Tit( tho` I`ve not found them yet!!!) follow on to Salin de Badon( get ticket from Capeliere) almost certain to see Marsh Sandpiper loads of Sp Redsh and maybe Spoonbills and loads of duck(Rc Pochard)
On the road to Tour du Valet is La Grenouilette, there is a raised platform to view from, it is good for duck, waders and any storks that may be about if there is water!!
You should see Rollers on the lines and still Bee eaters.
Follow the road from Salin de Badon out to ths sea for more waders ( Temmincks & Little Stint Curlew sands etc) and Flamingo, I believe Broad Billed Sand( see Oiseauxprovence website).
Enjoy your trip and I hope you see lots.
Old Thursday 30th August 2007, 10:26   #7
rachk116

Thanks for the info Nerabus, but the trip mentioned above was last year. Visited most of the places you mentioned and all were good. Look forward to returning in the future.
Old Friday 14th September 2007, 13:47   #8
Nerabus

Camargue trip

Hi rach
there`s me ever the observant, I`m surprised I ever see anything in the field. Glad you had a good time last year, it`s a nice area.
cheers
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: