• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix 8400 (1 Viewer)

Martin Standley

Just ready to start digiscoping (hopefully) i currently own a nikon coolpix 8400, and i am looking to purchase a scope complete with attachments with a budget of about £750.
Is the 8400 any good, where can I obtain a decent adapter (are universal adapters any good?)
Can anyone recommend a suitable set up?
Thanks

Martin Standley said:
Just ready to start digiscoping (hopefully) i currently own a nikon coolpix 8400, and i am looking to purchase a scope complete with attachments with a budget of about £750.
Is the 8400 any good, where can I obtain a decent adapter (are universal adapters any good?)
Can anyone recommend a suitable set up?
Thanks
Martin!
I am just starting into digiscoping myself and was thinking about the 8400, but have not been able to get one to try, so would be interested to see how you get on.
From my early attempts I would advise you focus on getting a good scope and initially try your 8400 handheld. Technically the 8400 looks good 3.5 zoom, full manual control, accepts a lens adapter and remote, although it is a wide lens so may only be useable from half to full zoom.
I have recently just bought my scope after spending some time looking at the options which came down to Kowa or Opticron ES80 as my target budget was £1000.
Originally planed the Kowa 823 finally went for a Kowa TSN-663 which I love, sharp, bright, good focus control and small enough to carry with my camera gear. I chose the new TSE-Z9 20-60 eyepiece and all at a great price from Warehouse Express £500.
From your budget the Kowa 663 would fit fairly well, assuming your camera works out. Alternatively you may look at the Opticron ES80, whatever you select go for a scope with an ED type lens, with a larger objective lens being better.
I have been trying some practice with a handheld Minolta F100, which unfortunately does not accept a lens adapter, the results are fairly promising, one of my first attempts being posted in my gallery.
Have just ordered a digiscope adapter, Baader Microstage 6030 at £30.00 from David Hinds details can be found at http://www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/fullProd.php?id=400 this is a generic mount that uses the camera tripod mount and should fit most scope/camera combinations, will try this before either making or buying something more expensive. If your camera works out you should have a number of options as the 8400 accepts a lens adapter, both Opticron and Kowa offer mounts to fit their scopes, but choose the scope first, preferably by trying them out, then try your camera hand held, before going for an adapter.
You will also need to allow for a sturdy tripod as slight movement caused by poor support will make shooting very difficult.
Someone with more experience will hopefully provide further advice.
Sid

This is my main digiscoping camera, and the best in the group.
It has a very detailed EVF and full manual control.
The drawbacks of the camera - the zoom ends @ 85mm, and is effective for digiscoping without vignetting only at a very limited range (70-85mm or so). So I zoom with the scope's EP.
Have a look at the following. Leica scope was used.
Digiscoping is not just for birds...

Attachments

• DSCN2576f.jpg
    DSCN2576f.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCN2888f.jpg
    DSCN2888f.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 368
Although the 8400 zoom is on the short side it has good functionality and no vignetting at full zoom ( use my Olympus 7070 at full zoom all the time ). If you can justify it I would look at the Kowa scope and get the 27x LER eyepeice . I has 32mm of Eye Relief which would mean that you could use most of the camera zoom. I have the old 27x and I can use 2/3 of the Olympus zoom with and only 1/4 with the Swarovski 20-60zoom. 27x would be perfect for the wider zoom on the 8400, particularly if you go for a 60mm scope . Get the Remote for the 8400 too .Neil.

yossi said:
The drawbacks of the camera - the zoom ends @ 85mm, and is effective for digiscoping without vignetting only at a very limited range (70-85mm or so). So I zoom with the scope's EP.

Yossi
Nice picture of the Chameleon, great detail.
Good to hear from someone using the 8400 as apart from the zoom limitation it does look a very capable camera.
Sid

Coolpix 8400

yossi said:

Interested to hear your comments on the 8400, i currently have a 995 which is in need of repair hence my quest for another camera.
With the 995 on the APO 77 i only expierience vignetting in the early stages of optical zoom, and then its gone right thru to the end digital zoom range.
I hear or rather read a lot of comment re vignetting in varying degrees and at various ranges of zoom with a lot of digitals, Question - Have i had a favourable combination, and is this as good as it gets?
I am seeking a digital that shares the coolpix features of a remote cord and preferably internal zoom BUT improves on the speed of auto focus and reduces shutter lag.
Any offers???
Regards ian

As the 8400 only has a short zoom (to 85mm ) you don't have to worry about over-magnification so you can happily use it a full zoom or just under. With the Swarovski 30x I understand that there is no vingetting as it has 20 mm of Eye Relief. You could always get another eyepiece later for the Leica with better Eye Relief. Neil.

nikon 8400

Sidor said:
Yossi
Nice picture of the Chameleon, great detail.
Good to hear from someone using the 8400 as apart from the zoom limitation it does look a very capable camera.
Sid
Hi I have a nikon 8400 trying to find correct settings to use on a swarovski 80 hd camera used alone 10/10 scope used alone 10/10 put them together poor results auto focus wants to take over.Would you please advise correct setup would manual setuo be better?many thanks.regards john the joiner. by the way am connecting scope to camera by DCA

john the joiner said:
Hi I have a nikon 8400 trying to find correct settings to use on a swarovski 80 hd camera used alone 10/10 scope used alone 10/10 put them together poor results auto focus wants to take over.Would you please advise correct setup would manual setuo be better?many thanks.regards john the joiner. by the way am connecting scope to camera by DCA[/QUOTE
John
I had trouble with the auto focus at first, but now just set to manual with autofocus off.Focussing can then be done with the cameras EVF or by using the scope.
I found that the nikon adapter UR-E15 is helpful and the camera is attached with a modified Meade Parafocal adapter.
Since starting 2 weeks ago my results have been promising and I,ll post some photos when I work out how to do it.

nikon 8400

Martin Standley said:
john the joiner said:
Hi I have a nikon 8400 trying to find correct settings to use on a swarovski 80 hd camera used alone 10/10 scope used alone 10/10 put them together poor results auto focus wants to take over.Would you please advise correct setup would manual setuo be better?many thanks.regards john the joiner. by the way am connecting scope to camera by DCA[/QUOTE
John
I had trouble with the auto focus at first, but now just set to manual with autofocus off.Focussing can then be done with the cameras EVF or by using the scope.
I found that the nikon adapter UR-E15 is helpful and the camera is attached with a modified Meade Parafocal adapter.
Since starting 2 weeks ago my results have been promising and I,ll post some photos when I work out how to do it.
Hi many thanks I will give it a try same here will post my efforts regards john

I haven't looked at the CP8400 but the Nikon's usually have multiple focus points that can be selected individually by use of the focus wheel. You would need to select this mode through the menu setup , usually called Spot Area-Focus or something similar. Neil.

Hello everyone,
I'm a new digiscoper and new in this forum too. I owned a 8400 and pentax pf 80 ed with 20-60 zoom. I attached them with a hand made adapter using ur-e15 and its very stable. My main problem is, couldn't get razor sharp images even it looks sharp enough from the EVF. I've tried all the metering modes and all ISO settings. Despite the speed is enough (1/250 or 1/500) and used remote control the images are very soft not sharp. Any advice?

bilgeo said:
Hello everyone,
I'm a new digiscoper and new in this forum too. I owned a 8400 and pentax pf 80 ed with 20-60 zoom. I attached them with a hand made adapter using ur-e15 and its very stable. My main problem is, couldn't get razor sharp images even it looks sharp enough from the EVF. I've tried all the metering modes and all ISO settings. Despite the speed is enough (1/250 or 1/500) and used remote control the images are very soft not sharp. Any advice?

Check the answer to your other posting

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back