• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longhorn beetles for ID please (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
These were taken in August in Bavaria. I have managed to ID some of my pictures but not these two fellows.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

Attachments

• beetle_2219.jpg
    beetle_2219.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 112
  • beetle_2349 small.jpg
    beetle_2349 small.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 97
I have had another look through the Czech website and have found some possibilities.

Here is my picture of the first one again together with a picture of Ergates faber. The antenae don't seem quite long enough but otherwise it seems close.

Any opinions?

Attachments

• beetle_2219.jpg
    beetle_2219.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 105
  • ergatesfaber007.jpg
    ergatesfaber007.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 85
For the coloured beetle there are two "fairly" close.
First picture mine, then Phymatodes testaceus and then Pronocesa angusta.

Any opinions?

Many thanks.

Dave

Attachments

• beetle_2349 small.jpg
    beetle_2349 small.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 86
  • phymtest.jpg
    phymtest.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 89
  • pronang.jpg
    pronang.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 111
Mmmm

I think not - the pronota are different widths, there is no scutellar mark on yours and the 'texture' doesn't look quite right ....
There may be gender and individual variations in these species? Paul
Dave Smith said:
I have had another look through the Czech website and have found some possibilities.

Here is my picture of the first one again together with a picture of Ergates faber. The antenae don't seem quite long enough but otherwise it seems close.

Any opinions?

Again

Again, no - the prontal (thorax) width is far too narrow on yours. I suspect that for central European longhorns you would need to refer to a text key ... unless you can find a local expert. There are far too many for a casual British viewer to work out! Fascinating beasts though.
Good luck, Paul

Dave Smith said:
For the coloured beetle there are two "fairly" close.
First picture mine, then Phymatodes testaceus and then Pronocesa angusta.

Any opinions?

Many thanks.

Dave

Oh well, thanks for your help anyway. By chance I will be near the Natural History Museum this weekend. I might try in there.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back