• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 8x32 ana 8x42s (1 Viewer)

catmouse

Does anyone own a Kowa 8x32 ? They weigh 19.8 oz have 4.5 feet close focus, Pechen glass prisms and 393 ft.of view. I have a Brunton 10x32 now but I want to buy one 8x power 32 mm maybe 42mm. I viewed the Nikon Monarch 8x36 and it had a nice view but it is difficult to find the kowas which I hear have a image as good as Swarovkski. any comments or help?

Here is the one US supplier I know of
http://www.opticsplanet.net/kowa-binoculars.html

The prisms in the Kowas are the same as all roof prisms, except Zeiss Conquests which use Abbe-König prisms. Kowa has some coatings that are proprietary. Maybe they are woth something, but I would have to buy a pair just to see a Kowa. The 10x32 is interesting, as there are few in that price class, the above 400 category. Cheaper 10x30s are pretty useless.

Last edited:
Thank you Everyone I ordered a pair of 8x32 Kowas I should have them this Friday August 24 , I will test them out and let everyone know what I think of them, It was either these Kowa or Bushnell Legend 8x32 which I did test at a store and I was very surprised how clear and sharp the optics were on the Bushnell legends for the price nice field of view too but I did not care for the rubber armor on them and they are heavier than the kowa 8x32 which are 19.8 oz.and I like the kowas nice green armour now to see how the optics are on these, I can not afford Zeiss or Leicas but do not want a low end either I hope these will be nice??

Here is the one US supplier I know of
http://www.opticsplanet.net/kowa-binoculars.html

The prisms in the Kowas are the same as all roof prisms, except Zeiss Conquests which use Abbe-König prisms. Kowa has some coatings that are proprietary. Maybe they are woth something, but I would have to buy a pair just to see a Kowa. The 10x32 is interesting, as there are few in that price class, the above 400 category. Cheaper 10x30s are pretty useless.
Thank you Tero, I found them also at B&H photo for $339.00 I think the 10x32 Kowa is the same price as the 8x32 Thanks for your input and reply bird forum is Great!

Just had a good look at (through) my Kowa 8x32 BD, bought used, and I have to warn you: the focussing wheel works in the wrong direction! That is, when focussing closer you'll have to turn the wheel clockwise, when focussing... etc. Chances are you may find yourself birding backwards one day.
Everything else is OK though. Excellent build quality, nice rain cap (harmonica-bridged), bright view and relatively easy on the eyes.
My only reservation is the smallish sweetspot forcing you to learn to center the bird expertly at all times. But sometimes or often the bird won't comply etc.
Unfortunately I don't have any experiences with other binoculars in this price bracket, but I think it could do no harm to check out the competition for more generous sweetspots. It's that important.

Renze

Last edited:
OH No ! I did not get mine yet that is strange I will have to see it if that is true I will send them back for a refund and buy a Leupold 8x42 Pinnacle or Bushnell Legend 8x32 I looked through a Bushnell Legend and was impressed by the optic quality and great price too,I did not care for the armor design on the Legends but it is not that bad first I will check out my ordered Kowas Thanks for the information.

Hi Catmouse,

I hope I didn't upset you too much. Just take your time to inspect your Kowa, because you may not find what I found, or simply have other standards. I mean, all things are judged in comparison, and since I was in the midst of writing a Kowa XD 8.5x44 Genesis review, the flaw in the BD was immediately apparent to me. As it should of course!
Also, I would expect more sample variation in the BD's price bracket than in the top-price category. So it's very well possible you would find your specimen perfectly OK (i.e. slightly better than mine).

Just let me know.

blue skies,

Renze

OK I got my new Kowa 8x32 Binoculars in today Here are my opinions of these First looking at them they are very well made the rubber armor is very nice,the weight is perfect the optics when viewing through these Excellent clean, crisp and very sharp images very bright colors of flowers are amazing I was watching a wasp on a leaf in perfect view from a upstairs bedroom window at around 25 feet away or so nice wide field of view images stand out beautifully and sharp detail,NOW the strange part Everything about these is about perfect except the focuser like Renzie de Vries says turns in the WRONG direction you are focusing left instead of right I think this Binocular would be perfect for a person who is left handed in every way but I use my right hand to focus and this makes it awkward for me The optics are so nice and clear that I almost do not want to send these back the Quality of this binocular is TOP NOTCH Optics,build, everything except that left turn focuser so back it must go However if it was not for that focuser I would keep it Very nice binocular If you are left handed you will enjoy this Binocular it will be perfect.

the focuser ... turns in the WRONG direction you are focusing left instead of right

I don't understand--I'm right handed, but I find that to focus ANY binocular I have to turn the knob in left to right and in right to left directions in equal proportions and frequencies! Focus is a back and forth exercise, so what difference does it make which way corresponds to nearer to farther? I don't find one direction more comfortable than the other, but since I use several binoculars I certainly appreciate consistency in focusing direction since it is more comfortable on the eye to focus binoculars from inside proper focus to the point of proper focus. All my current field-use binoculars focus from near to far by moving the focus knob from left to right, so in use they get a quick push of my right hand fingers and then a pull to proper focus. I used to use some binos that focus the wrong way--they get a quick pull of the knob followed by a push to proper focus. I use my binos enough that I automatically adjust my focus technique according to to what is appropriate for the model in my hands.

Here are a few binos that focus the "wrong" way:
Eagle Optics 8x32 Platinum Ranger
Leupold 6x30 Yosemite
B&L Elite 8x42 (older waterproof version)
B&L 7x26 Custom (older unarmored version)

--AP

Last edited:
Hello Alexis I did not know there where other binoculars that focused in the wrong direction from right to left I thought all binoculars focused left to right I do not understand the resoning for this however this should be mentioned on websites so a person knows what they are buying like I said the Kowas are Great Binoculars except for that focuser in the wrong direction Now we have to be concerned about focus direction and if a Binocular is made in China The Kowas are Japan made top notch however Nikons are now made in Japan And I heard the Zeiss Conquest is made in Portugal and many people are complaing about the poor quality of the New nikon Monarchs now I know why, when I return the kowas I will either buy a Leupold cascade 8x42 or a Bushnell Legend 8x32 The Leica BN 8x32 is very nice but I can not afford that binocular so I am limited to the point of frustration I can not seem to find the right one for me this Kowa would have been perfect if not for the focuser direction Does the Kowa 8x42 model focus in the wrong direction ? like the 8x32 or the correct left to right ? IF the Kowa 8x42 focuses correct I would buy it I do not care if it weighs 6 oz. more than the 8x32 The optics impress me and if the focuser works the correct way it would be worth it.Otherwise I will go with Bushell or Leupolds I am out of choices already , Thank you for your replies.

My last thread I said Nikons are made in Japan, NO they are made in China these days with poor quality fit especially the cheap pop up eyepieces that I viewed while testing one out at a store They used to be good when they were made in Japan it just shows you that anything made in China is junk one way or another,cheap labor fast production low quality but high profits for CEO's and thier companies selling us Garbage while they can afford Swarovski and Leica,Zeiss the best revenge do not buy Nikons or any binocular made in China research your purchase even I did not know Kowa focusers turned the wrong way since my store does not have any I could not test one I am waiting for a reply on the 8x42 Kowa focuser if anyone has one ? If you own a older model Monarch made in Japan I am sure it is very good I am not trying to bash other makes and models but I want you to know what I know and what I have found from my personal experience searching for a binocular Kowa optics are excellent, build quality is excellent just that focuser ! Happy birding and nature binocular use enjoy.

Final update on my Kowa purchase,This Morning many birds came to my feeder Finches mostly I took the 8x32 Kowas to see and the detail in feathers and clear crisp view gave me second thoughts about this binocular Everything about it is Excellent and I have gotten used to the focuser and focusing to the left instead of left to right after all my complaining I find it not worth returning for ONE thing different I did not see any sweet spots or anything in my pair I have closely viewed a Swarovski 8x30 SLC the other day at a Sporting goods and my Kowa optics are AS good as the swarovski 8x30 SLC model also the Swarovski 8x30 has a odd thing too in design the focuser is in front of the binocular ! however I got used to that too and owners with the front focus on the Swarovski got used to it and are happy so why should I gripe about the reverse focus when the optics and build are top notch, I am also tired of buying and returning binoculars for other reasons like optic quality So these will serve me very well I am taking them to the mountains here in Colorado to enjoy and I save myself $650 buy NOT buying the Swarovski 8x30 SLC Kowa includes a very nice carry case with the 8x32 and 8x42 models the guy at the store said most high end binoculars do not come with a case at all ? I think it is only on some models though Overall you will not go wrong with a Kowa optically or build Quality if you can adapt like I did to the focuser going left you will be happy these are the best mid range optics I have found I would rather have a different left focus on these then a right focus and bad optics on another pair because quality optics is what a binocular is all about If you can afford a $1,000- $2,500 binocular without hurting your income budget go for it I Love my Kowa,have a Great day.

We need some definitions here. Focus your binoculars at infinity. Now, look at a nearby object. To focus on it, you need to move the knob counterclockwise, or "to the left." This is the way nearly all binoculars focus.

Alex is right. I have the Eagle Optics and I actually never noticed they go the other way. It does not seem to be a big deal. I go back and forth instintively between pairs.

Last edited:
I have the Eagle Optics and I actually never noticed they go the other way. It does not seem to be a big deal. I go back and forth instintively between pairs.

Tero

That is odd. Focusing direction is very importent to me. I own Nikon spottingscope and a Nikon 8x40 action EX that both focus "wright" . I also have a (very) low-end bresser 10x50 (€23) that is optically relatively good but focuses "rrong". I just can not get used to that and that is the reason focussing direction is one of the most important spec when buying a new binocular. This is actualy one of the main reasons I am looking for a new 10x bino.

I can understand that when someone buys his/her first pair it is not very important which way it focusses but if you have more then one it is at least handy when they all focus in the same direction.

I whish I could get used to focusing in different directions varying on the bino in hand but I tried long enough to see it does not work for me. (unfortunately)

It just goes to show that choosing a new pair is very personal and that not all aspects are of the same importance to everyone.

Cheers Peter

The Bushnell Legend 8x32 also seems to go the wrong way. So now both of my 8x go the wrong way and the two 10x I have go the right way.

I just received a new pair of 8x32 Kowas based on reports that I have read as well as the relatively inexpensive price. I was pleasantly surpised with the binoculars. They appear to be very well made, a great neoprene strap and nice case. What is most important is the view which is quite bright, vivid and clear. Well worth the money and certainly equal to other binoculars (N, S, and Z) that I have that cost much more. My $0.02 worth anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back