• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UV filter on Leica APO 77 (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
I read the other day of someone putting an UV filter on his leica scope ,would this not be detrimental whilst digiscoping ie.yet another layer of glass between you and a good photograph?

bobwoodcock said:
I read the other day of someone putting an UV filter on his leica scope ,would this not be detrimental whilst digiscoping ie.yet another layer of glass between you and a good photograph?

Yes, it will lose some light and slightly reduce image contrast. Many UV filters also have a slight yellow cast c.f. 81B. But if you get a good quality filter the difference should be negligible. I bought a Leica UV filter to protect the scope objective, and was surprised to find that it had an obvious colour cast. So I exchanged it for a Canon clear 'Protect' filter instead.

Last edited:
Leif said:
Yes, it will lose some light and slightly reduce image contrast. Many UV filters also have a slight yellow cast c.f. 81B. But if you get a good quality filter the difference should be negligible. I bought a Leica UV filter to protect the scope objective, and was surprised to find that it had an obvious colour cast. So I exchanged it for a Nikon clear 'Protect' filter instead.

That closely mirrors my own experience, but I would stress that it's important to get a *good* (and thus expensive) filter. Many of the cheaper filters around aren't perfectly plane and seriously degrade image quality. Alright, you may be lucky, but I'd stick to one of the well-known camera manufacturers. I know the Nikon and Canon "Protect" filters, they're excellent and the degradation of the image quality is minimal.

Hermann

I use the Leica UV filter with no obvious loss of image contrast including when digiscoping - the Jessops one I bought first was so bad you could not even use the scope for viewing ! With Leica objective coatings I would NEVER remove the filter. Canon one sounds interesting.

Linz

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back