• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIG BIRD visits the nut feeder! (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Nah, not that yellow thing from Sesame Street, but one stonking adult WHITE-TAILED EAGLE! Not what I expected to see perched above the peanut feeders, but what a bird! See them quite every day on my local patch, and not the first time on my land, but certainly the first at my feeders! Have to confess, it wasn't hanging off the nuts like an overgrown Blue Tit, and in reality don't think it even cared that the feeders were there, but the site is at woodland edge and the trees make for excellent perches! Had several large pools excavated a week or so back and was hoping he might pop down to look at those, that would have been a good christening!

Hi Jos, you are one lucky person, what a sight that must have been :eek!:

Karwin said:
Congratulations! Haliaeetus conservation is carrying fruit - I saw again one last week.

Saw another today - a young bird (on my local patch, not the feeders today!). Population is certainly doing well ...I think it's up to about 70 pairs in LT now (from none not so many years ago). This autumn, could see up to 12 at my local; patch :)

Dear Jos:

I understand your ennthusiasm. The White tailed Eagle is quite a site! I saw my first one on the 28th of October. They are very rare in Greece (we have only five nesting pairs in the country).

Best regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back