• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80's- 90's 10x40B early phase coatings? (1 Viewer)

Is it ok to use CPL filters,circular polarized filters, used on cameras for this kind of test, then i can take photos with this filter also ?

Anders

My 10x40's, purchased in 1992, also do not have a "P" symbol on them. They say "10x40B," on the bottom, but they have the rubber armoring and I'm certain they are phase corrected.

I've enjoyed using these binoculars so much that, even after 20 years, I still have no real desire to purchase a newer model of a high-end binocular. I should send these in for a checkup, though, I believe (?). They have never been sent back to Zeiss, as there was never any obvious reason.

I feel the same way. I have no desire to replace them. In fact, at this point I feel so nostalgic towards them, I've avoided sending them in for fear that something bad will happen to them. I called Zeiss a week or so ago. They said they would be serviced on site in the states. The last time (many years ago) I sent binoculars in for service, I was pretty disappointed in the results.

What to do, what to do.....

If you don't want to replace them advise them so in writing (e-mail) and wait for their response (e-mail) before you send it to them.

Bob

I feel the same way. I have no desire to replace them. In fact, at this point I feel so nostalgic towards them, I've avoided sending them in for fear that something bad will happen to them. I called Zeiss a week or so ago. They said they would be serviced on site in the states. The last time (many years ago) I sent binoculars in for service, I was pretty disappointed in the results.

What to do, what to do.....

My limited experience with service offered by Zeiss USA was excellent.
I sent in my early 1990s vintage 8x30 Classic 18 months ago, because it was getting a bit floppy, it came back cleaned and adjusted, with restored tightness and new rubber eye cups, all for the price of shipping. So I'd not be concerned about sending out my optics to them for refurbishment.

Thanks guys, I think I'll go ahead and send them in this week. I'll post my experience upon their return.

I wouldn't, unless you have an actual problem with them. I have several ''classic'' series binoculars, some 30 years old, and none have any need for any kind of ''servicing.''

My 7x42 BGAT/P has a slightly stiff focus, that smooths out with a few spins, so might need re-greasing but the potential for damage / loss in transit or some other unforeseen incident will keep them home. I have faith in Zeiss service but don't think any of these bins really needs a periodic ''tune-up.''

If it ain't broke.......

James,
I agree completely. It's what's kept them home with me for nearly 20 years. Still, they have a couple of problems that they've had since I got them new, that have always bothered me a little. There's some internal contamination (a small black "speck") that you can actually see if you look closely while viewing, and the center hinge has always been a little to loose to hold it's position when held with only one hand.

I've considered taking them to Mountain Optics in Lakeside Montana. I've heard good things about them and it's only about an hour's drive for me. I think I'll try Zeiss first though, as I believe this would be covered under warranty. If I'm dissapointed, I'll try Mountain and just pay for the service.

Speaking of all this, does anyone know if these models need to be reassembled, after cleaning, under low humidity "controlled" conditions to maintain their weatherproof (presumably fog proof) integrity? Just curious..

I've been thinking along the lines of James' post, above. I've been afraid to send mine in for fear of what might happen to them in shipping to and from Zeiss. I am confident that Zeiss will be responsible in replacing parts or refurbishing certain parts, but I just fear the process of shipping back and forth.

I am currently weighing whether I should send them in for a checkup, just because they have not been seen by a technician for 22 years, or whether I should just leave them alone and keep using them until something is obviously wrong. As of today, I'm leaning toward keeping them with me, as they are in very good shape for their age, and very clean.

Last edited:
Bins are back. No apparent problems. Service was SUPER fast (thanks Mike)! My receipt says, "cleaned ocular, tightened hinge, adjusted focus and alignment."

Finally they can retire in peace I suppose. Perhaps it's time to start thinking about some replacements...

Bins are back. No apparent problems. Service was SUPER fast (thanks Mike)! My receipt says, "cleaned ocular, tightened hinge, adjusted focus and alignment."

Finally they can retire in peace I suppose. Perhaps it's time to start thinking about some replacements...

Great News TW

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back