• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question - FL 8X32 (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I have the T FL 8X32, but I have been asked a question that I don't know the answer to, did Zeiss make this model without lou tech coatings, in other words were they a later addition? Anyone know?
Thanks, Ben

I have the T FL 8X32, but I have been asked a question that I don't know the answer to, did Zeiss make this model without lou tech coatings, in other words were they a later addition? Anyone know?
Thanks, Ben

Ben

Lotutec FLs were launched in 2006.

Lee

Hello Bencw,

My recollection is that Lotutec appeared about two or three years, after the introduction of the FL line. My 8x32 FL does not have Lotutec™.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thanks Lee / Arthur,

Useful to know pre 2006 are non lotutec, I can answer my brothers question now, he is looking at a pair but was worried they might not be genuine as they were not Lotutec like my ones.

Lotutec versions of the FLs can be identified by a curved line over the magnification/aperture designation (8x32 ,7x42, etc.) located on the underside of the binocular near the hinge.

Here is a picture of a Victory FL with Lotutec. Note the curved emblem
above the power as Henry mentioned.

I was thinking that 2007 was the first year for Lotutec.

Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Here is a picture of a Victory FL with Lotutec. Note the curved emblem
above the power as Henry mentioned.

I was thinking that 2007 was the first year for Lotutec.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Copied from 2006 Zeiss Brochure:

2006 The ZEISS optics of the
Victory series, premium products for
hunting, bird watching and observation
of nature are equipped with the innovative
LotuTecTM coating.​

I didn't know about the curve mark over the model designation though: thanks for the pic.

Lee

Didn't they change the eye-cup design when they introduced Lotutec?

The older eye-cups had a more square edge than the newest version.

I think that you are right, but be careful because the eyecups are interchangeable. I had a non Lotutec 8x32 FL and changed the square edged eyecups to round edged ones which I found more comfortable.

Stan

I think that you are right, but be careful because the eyecups are interchangeable. I had a non Lotutec 8x32 FL and changed the square edged eyecups to round edged ones which I found more comfortable.

Stan

The reason they changed the form of the eye cup was, the rainguard fitted much better on the new eye cups.

Jan

There were three FL eyecup designs.

The very first one from 2004 was thin, with rounded shoulders. I still have a pair of those in a drawer.

The second appeared in 2005 with the 32mm models. That one was fatter, with squared shoulders.

The third and current iteration, fat and rounded, appeared around 2006/7. As I recall it was in response to complaints about the comfort of the second version.

I also remember complaints resulting from incorrectly matched eyecups and rain guards supplied with some binoculars during the transitions between designs.

I have a approx. 2004 non-lotutec 7x42.
I have had an approx. 2008 lotutec 8x32.
As far as I can see, there is no optical difference regarding the lotutec vs non.
As far as I could experience, rain droplets were as easy to remove from the lotutec vs non.

I had the square, hard eyecups on the 7x42 initially, but they were changed to the soft ones, which were much more comfortable to put against my glasses.
The 8x32 already had the comfortable soft cups, but the smaller rainguard made it harder to put it on or off, compared to the 7x42, for which the rainguard was just loosely fitted by gravity (more convenient in my eyes when you want to be quick on a bird)

Greetings. The curvature above the Zeiss emblem is very useful information that I did not know before, so thank you for it. I have acquired a new FL 8x32 two years ago with Lotutec that had serial number of 346xxxxxx--and have used this number as an indicator of Lotutec coating when acquiring a used FL 7x42 a year later. Not accurate of course, but luckily, proved helpful.

Once more, thank you Jerry and Henry.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back