• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weavers in Gambia (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I saw what I thought were village weavers, but some had red eyes with black pupil and others had pure black eyes. They looked very similar apart from that, I know weavers at this time of year are quite hard to ID and it did take me some time to sort the species out.

Are these the same species or just variations?

Any comments appreciated

I will try to upload some photo's later

MarkHows said:
I saw what I thought were village weavers, but some had red eyes with black pupil and others had pure black eyes. They looked very similar apart from that, I know weavers at this time of year are quite hard to ID and it did take me some time to sort the species out.

Are these the same species or just variations?

Any comments appreciated

I will try to upload some photo's later

Hi Mark.

I took this photo of a Village Weaver last Dec in The Gambia, is this the bird you saw.

Attachments

• PICT0142.JPG
    PICT0142.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 115
Here are two photos, showing weavers with red eyes and black eyes, they were bathing together

Mark

Attachments

• weaver1.jpg
    weaver1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 135
  • weaver2.jpg
    weaver2.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi,

Female Village Weavers will show a dark brown iris until the end of their second year and this is what I suspect is happening here. You have non-breeding males with a young dark-eyed female.

Kind Regards
Trevor

Trevor Hardaker said:
Hi,

Female Village Weavers will show a dark brown iris until the end of their second year and this is what I suspect is happening here. You have non-breeding males with a young dark-eyed female.

Kind Regards
Trevor

Many Thanks

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back