• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung i5 Digiscoping Kit (1 Viewer)

hoopoe

United Kingdom
Hi

Has anyone used this camera kit and if so which of the Opticron range of telescopes would you recommend using with it? I want to get started with digiscoping but the budget is tight!

Blimey you've waited a long time for a response.

I bought this kit at Infocus for use with a Leica APO 62mm. Whilst its capable of good results in general I try to avoid digiscoping as its too time demanding.

Given the choice I find using my bins and scope far more enjoyable then messing around with cameras, adapters, shutter release cables etc. In my experience anything over x16 is too hit and miss and the results don't justify the effort or frustration. For a similar price the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 will give a reliable x12 and if fitted with an Olympus TCon 17 teleconverter x20 (approx).

The benefits of using one of the new Superzoom breed of cameras is that they are reliable, quick and easy to use. Add in optical image stabilisation and I can't understand why people still continue with digiscoping. In general my experience of digiscoping is poor however to be fair to Samsung at least their kit is light and easy to carry around. The only concerns I have got about this kit is that the manual controls are limited and the autofocus is unreliable. Having to refocus/tweak the scope to get a sharp image is ridiculous however this problem occurs in most other digiscoping set ups as well.

Hope this is helpful

hoopoe said:
Hi

Has anyone used this camera kit and if so which of the Opticron range of telescopes would you recommend using with it? I want to get started with digiscoping but the budget is tight!

If your budget is tight then the Opticron/Samsung kits is not the way to go - you can buy a decent camera, adapter and some memory for a lot less. See this thread for cheap digiscoping ideas...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=44480

Samsung i5 Camera

Thank you for your reply - I had just about given up and in the interim I have purchased an Opticron ED80 scope but still haven't got a camera to go with it. Perhaps going the digiscoping route is not the right way to go? What sort of cost would I be looking at for the Panasonic Lumix F27 with the Olympus Tcon 17 teleconverter?

ikw101 said:
Blimey you've waited a long time for a response.

I bought this kit at Infocus for use with a Leica APO 62mm. Whilst its capable of good results in general I try to avoid digiscoping as its too time demanding.

Given the choice I find using my bins and scope far more enjoyable then messing around with cameras, adapters, shutter release cables etc. In my experience anything over x16 is too hit and miss and the results don't justify the effort or frustration. For a similar price the Panasonic Lumix FZ7 will give a reliable x12 and if fitted with an Olympus TCon 17 teleconverter x20 (approx).

The benefits of using one of the new Superzoom breed of cameras is that they are reliable, quick and easy to use. Add in optical image stabilisation and I can't understand why people still continue with digiscoping. In general my experience of digiscoping is poor however to be fair to Samsung at least their kit is light and easy to carry around. The only concerns I have got about this kit is that the manual controls are limited and the autofocus is unreliable. Having to refocus/tweak the scope to get a sharp image is ridiculous however this problem occurs in most other digiscoping set ups as well.

Hope this is helpful

Samsung i5

Thank you for you reply, I had just about given up! In the interim I have purchased an Opticron ED80 scope and I am quite pleased with it so far as a scope. I have not yet got a camera for it but I have tried hand holding an old Fujifilm FinePix 2200 camera to the eyepice - incredible vignetting and very frustrating trying to line up the shot!! I was looking at the Opticron/Samsung set up because it is an easy solution for someone who is a total novice with both cameras and scopes! I will have a look around for the adapter and camera suggested. Thanks again for your help.

postcardcv said:
If your budget is tight then the Opticron/Samsung kits is not the way to go - you can buy a decent camera, adapter and some memory for a lot less. See this thread for cheap digiscoping ideas...
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=44480

the i6 kit is £100 cheeper than the i5 kit.

Think about the habitat you bird in most.

a superzoom camera will do the trick in woodland and if your constantly moving, but digiscoping is better in more open spaces and if you stay in the same place. as you already have a scope, digiscoping is the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back