• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird photography in Goa (1 Viewer)

Mike66

Hello...I am looking to visit Goa in January or February 2007.
Specifically to take pictures of birds, although my wife will certainly want beach/swimming pool.
This has got to be a reasonable price, i'm thinking £700 each, I am not looking to pay extra to have it organized, I will hopefully find a local guide. the Arpora region in North Goa has been suggested, .
In view of the long flight we would like to go for 3 weeks. Most importantly I need an abundance of different birds within walking distance. I would hate to be stuck anywhere with nothing to do.

Can anyone give me any advice or offer suggestions.
Any help greatfully recieved.....kind regards....Mike

Mike66 said:
Hello...I am looking to visit Goa in January or February 2007.
Specifically to take pictures of birds, although my wife will certainly want beach/swimming pool.
This has got to be a reasonable price, i'm thinking £700 each, I am not looking to pay extra to have it organized, I will hopefully find a local guide. the Arpora region in North Goa has been suggested, .
In view of the long flight we would like to go for 3 weeks. Most importantly I need an abundance of different birds within walking distance. I would hate to be stuck anywhere with nothing to do.

Can anyone give me any advice or offer suggestions.
Any help greatfully recieved.....kind regards....Mike

Mike, Its GOT to be the Marinha Dourada hotel (Baga/Arpora)- in the thick of the best birding spots you'll read about in trip reports. I can't remember the name of the other hotel lots of birders have stayed at - the one with the marsh by Baga fields - but don't stay there- its no good in comparison.
Its a short walk from Baga hill, Arpora forest & Baga fields, etc.etc. You'll be able to bird from the hotel itself & there will be other birders there & local guides if you want. There is loads of info re. species sites available - Brown hawk owl, Brown fish owl etc.(I saw Pied harrier & Black eagle from the hotel - just to name two).
Its a great place for a holiday - if you want to know more just ask.
Cheers,
Halftwo

halftwo said:
Mike, Its GOT to be the Marinha Dourada hotel (Baga/Arpora)- in the thick of the best birding spots you'll read about in trip reports. I can't remember the name of the other hotel lots of birders have stayed at - the one with the marsh by Baga fields - but don't stay there- its no good in comparison.
Its a short walk from Baga hill, Arpora forest & Baga fields, etc.etc. You'll be able to bird from the hotel itself & there will be other birders there & local guides if you want. There is loads of info re. species sites available - Brown hawk owl, Brown fish owl etc.(I saw Pied harrier & Black eagle from the hotel - just to name two).
Its a great place for a holiday - if you want to know more just ask.
Cheers,
Halftwo

Many thanks....that will do for me...do you know when is the best time to go?

regards...Mike

Mike,
Anytime in Jan or Feb is fine, the "season" is Nov-Mar - things start to get hot in March. I was there in Feb. You will possibly pay more Xmas/New year & maybe a bit more at haf term.
Regards, Halftwo

halftwo said:
Mike,
Anytime in Jan or Feb is fine, the "season" is Nov-Mar - things start to get hot in March. I was there in Feb. You will possibly pay more Xmas/New year & maybe a bit more at haf term.
Regards, Halftwo

Thanks again.....cheers...Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back