• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (1 Viewer)

I think you get a much better feel of the "territorial stand-off" now. The two birds are definitely interacting.

Love it.
Des.

Mornin' all- I've enjoyed this one. I think there's room for a bit more tension and muscularity in the lower bird yet, but nearly done.

Not sure in what direction to lurch off next, but had 15 minutes thumbing through some top shelf stuff last night (G E Lodge Memoirs of an Artist Naturalist) and that combined with the kind words above is encouragement enough to stick with the new bristly brushes for a little while.

Really, really nice Ed. Personally I like a bit of variation between background and subject, it's sort of how we see things in the real world, aware of what's happening in the surroundings but focussed on the birds or animals.

Woody

Very impressed from your impressionistic qualities Ed!
I always appreciated artists who are able to change styles
successfully!!
I'm very curious to see your next attempt!

Paschalis

It's really heartening to get all these comments- thanks all.

It's been a week with only time for fiddling about with pics- the woodpecker has acquired some more flex and muscle (here's old and new attached- tiny changes can make such a big difference to my eye at least) and also new improved Barry the Barwit gets a Saturday night outing. If there is anyone out there who undertands these things- why might the wormhole jump up in about frame six of ten (it's the same hole in each frame, but you can distinctly see it jump...).

Time for new painting. Maybe I should stay up with my bristly brushes and watch the the Ricky Hatton fight...

Attachments

• latestDSC_0027.jpg
    latestDSC_0027.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 132
  • sat799DSC_0030.jpg
    sat799DSC_0030.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 300avatar-11-54-31.gif
    300avatar-11-54-31.gif
    243 KB · Views: 152
Lovely peckers - the hole doesn't appear to jump on my screen (or is that my eyes?).
Well done to Amir THE Khan!!! - with apologies to Graham Earl fans worldwide.
C'mon the Hitman - (with copious apologies to Florence Merryknickers fans everywhere).

I see he's still out and about on Sunday morning as I am also- in the office! Some things about Xmas I just hate- like work!
I am seeing the hole blink on and off as the worm just leaves it- if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed and perhaps thats not what you are talking about and may be I am procrastinating. Anyway love it . I shall attempt to send it to a friend who would appreciate it- later|:(|

I see he's still out and about on Sunday morning as I am also- in the office! Some things about Xmas I just hate- like work!
I am seeing the hole blink on and off as the worm just leaves it- if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed and perhaps thats not what you are talking about and may be I am procrastinating. Anyway love it . I shall attempt to send it to a friend who would appreciate it- later|:(|

Sorry to hear you are in the office- the wormhole does also blink once, as well as skip..mysteriously. I guess Barry can be downloaded by right click from the screen here, but if you or anyone else would like a copy by e-mail they are very welcome.

Ed the hole does jump a little and blink as you say but, hey, who cares! Barry's still an amusing little guy.

Apparently during the scene when the prince awakens sleeping beauty in the Disney film, he takes a little sideways shuffle. Walt noticed this and pointed it out to the animators who said they could fix it but they'd have to redo the scene which would take a couple of weeks and cost x amount of $s. At that Walt said OK, we'll leave it in and he hit his release date and the prince shuffles to this day.

Woody

Ed the hole does jump a little and blink as you say but, hey, who cares! Barry's still an amusing little guy.

Apparently during the scene when the prince awakens sleeping beauty in the Disney film, he takes a little sideways shuffle. Walt noticed this and pointed it out to the animators who said they could fix it but they'd have to redo the scene which would take a couple of weeks and cost x amount of $s. At that Walt said OK, we'll leave it in and he hit his release date and the prince shuffles to this day.

Woody

I think that puts the blinking wormhole issue to bed!

I had a request from a friend last week to do a "cheeky" magpie logo as favour for a French conservation body he does work for- knocked off this morning, first draft in marker pen to avoid any temptation to fiddle or detail and then- bcause it has to be a small logo- simplified on computah

Attachments

• 799origmag copy.jpg
    799origmag copy.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 799sylisedmag.jpg
    799sylisedmag.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Adventures with the bristly brushes continue- I've briefly enjoyed cracking sunrises round here as I head off for another day's non birding, with my local buzzard chased from the roost outside the house by crows, glorious orange lighting from below. Crudely rendered in marker pen as a first go and Buzzard converted into White-tailed Eagle in a moment of artistic licence. Have just had a shot at sunrise with the bristlies- next stop the trees to go on top, then the crows and eagle so its likely to end in tears.

Also I caught that White-backed Woodpecker from up-thread looking odd, so I've whipped its head off and tried again.

Attachments

• wte copy.jpg
    wte copy.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 152
  • sunriseDSC_0038.jpg
    sunriseDSC_0038.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 144
  • wbwDSC_0042.jpg
    wbwDSC_0042.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Fabulous skyscape, Ed - works wonderfully as a stand-alone piece (although I'm looking forward to the additions, too).
It's also very generous to share your angst-ridden trip with the woodies - who knows where you're going to end up with this one, now??!!
Pulling up a chair . . .

enjoying your foray into bristly brushes a lot, the composition on your eagle is sublime, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to decapitate a bird on the page. I think you've made a good decision on this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back