• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (3 Viewers)

If I were in their shoes I’d rest up ready for their final scheduled trips, the total they’re going to achieve will be a great, err, achievement :t:

I wonder if they'll drive up to Varanger just for the Yellow-billed Loon or if they'll pick up some vagrant anywhere else. They could also fly back to the Azores for the Green Heron there, but I'm not too opitimistic that they'll do that

Write-up of the Iceland trip with nice photos of Harlequin Duck and Gyr:

Did they get Bufflehead anywhere during the year? If they had done Iceland in the early part of the year when they also seemed to take a prolonged break, they could have got this easily, along with the other Icelandic specialities.

Did they get Bufflehead anywhere during the year? If they had done Iceland in the early part of the year when they also seemed to take a prolonged break, they could have got this easily, along with the other Icelandic specialities.

They got Bufflehead on 22.2 in the Netherlands.

Canaries and Cape Verde I think

That would be a good decision. Because their itinerary says Varanger next (and just from 15th onwards), but changing the timing would be very sensible: now they probably have the better time for pelagic species on Cabo Verde and Canaries while the Yellow-billed Divers will stay at Varanger presumably for the whole winter!

while the Yellow-billed Divers will stay at Varanger presumably for the whole winter!

But are they visible in the polar night once the sun gets really low for the month either side of the winter solstice? Varanger would've been better done in the late winter when arctic birds are still there but the light is returning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back