• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hambroek's (Formosan Mountain) Scops-Owl (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here's some additional info on a guy I happened to stumble upon (i.e. not one of "my guys", not present in my MS, as in commemorated in any Swedish Common Bird name), this time regarding ...

hambroecki as in:
• the subspecies Otus spilocephalus hambroecki SWINHOE 1870 (here) as "Ephialtes Hambroecki":
I name this species in remembrance of the celebrated Dutch missionary who was murdered by the pirate chief on the conquest of Formosa.
I guess Swinhoe simply missed to spell his Surname correct in the eponym hambroecki, because I think it quite obvious he intended Antonius Hambroek (16071661), Dutch Protestant missionary in the East Indies and Formosa (today's Taiwan) and not a ditto "Anton Hambroeck" (as he's known in some English texts, also claimed by The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014), as well as in today's HBW Alive Key.)

Antonius Hambroek was born 1 January 1607, in Rotterdam ... and beheaded 21 July 1661, on Formosa!

More on this guy, for example; here, here or here ... and elsewhere, he´s not that hard to find "out there".

However; enjoy!

And don´t hesitate to prove me wrong!

Björn

Last edited:
what about Anton vs Anthonius ... ?

Anton, like Ton, is just short for Antonius or Anthonius. My name is Fredericus (and three others, 4 names in total), but everybody calls me Fred, and so do I myself.

Fred

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back