• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (3 Viewers)

Great job on the woodcock, Arthur! You captured that weird 'looking backwards' set of the eyes that they have. I grew up on the east coast of the US and used to see them fairly frequently - we don't get them out my way now unfortunately.

looking good Arthur, and the comp is interesting too, will take a bit to balance the mass of that bird, but I like how he's looking into the space.

Doing the foreground as I go
Not sure about the fungi yet

Attachments

• L1240256.jpg
    L1240256.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 33
  • L1240265.jpg
    L1240265.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 30
  • L1240273.jpg
    L1240273.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Aha! W.I.P!

Hope it comes good. But then it always does!

Yes, it always does! Never ceases to amaze me Arthur. Mine may start off well but who knows where they may end up. Yours always seem to end well. A steady march toward a complete and striking painting. I think this one will be another winner.

Now I know why I didn't want to do the woodcock.
The plumage is something else, I'me getting in to the pattern of it now.
won't post again till its finished.
thanks for the confidence in me you two, but it dosent always come off

Attachments

• L1240286.jpg
    L1240286.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
you always go your own way and don't usually need or use advice, this will of course end up well in your trademark way. But I would like to offer some painters points, if you keep the log end dark and the bright green against the red piece, you are setting your viewer up for a conflict, all of those things are as strong a focal point at the bird. and compete for our eye and mind attention and lead us off the picture plane. I'd get rid of that red so near the edge, tone down the green and lighten the end of the log which would not be so dark if you saw it in the woods if you really checked out the value. That will make the bird the star on this stage....

if you want a free class by computer, by and astounding teacher who is giving out the best landscape "secrets of the masters" I've ever come across in all my reading and classes click here, it 's free he's doing it everyday for 2 hours for one month as he has a free month on the site, you will never find this kind of thing for free and so concentrated again I'll bet

Amazing! And just look at all the detail! I admire your patience, I get frustrated even with the fairly unicolor back of a goose. :D Cannot wait to see the finished work!

Thanks Colleen. I waited until the bird was done before looking at its surroundings again.
Woodcock
Size 1/2 Imp.
Mixed media.

Attachments

• L1240334.jpg
    L1240334.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 64
Wonderful, Arthur! This certainly captures the species very well, and the setting is fitting as well. When I was younger and walked through the woods on my uncle's farm, I remember flushing these birds and being amazed at how they could corkscrew their way up and out of a very thick patch of vegetation.

What a brilliant and captivating thread, you have a rare talent there Arthur.

Will be back in the future to see you next project.... brilliant.

Dave

You've done a superb job on the plumage here Arthur. I reckon it would be very easy to end up with something looking very cryptic but totally unnatural. Not this work, it scores on both counts.

Russ

Thankyou all.

Some sketches from the garden

Attachments

• L1240349.jpg
    L1240349.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 46
  • L1240347.jpg
    L1240347.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 50
  • L1240353.jpg
    L1240353.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 44
  • L1240354.jpg
    L1240354.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back