• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Gitzo heads "designed for birdwatching" (1 Viewer)

I'm hoping it can replace a Gitzo G2380 head for supporting 8-10 pound scopes on a Gitzo GT3530 tripod. The load capacity spec is 2 pounds more than the 2380 even though it weighs half as much. If it's not up to that it will replace a Manfrotto 128LP on a Gitzo GT2530 for scopes in the 3-6 pound range. Since it uses the same QR plate as the 2380 moving scopes from one head to the other will be nice and easy.

Henry

For some years I have been using the GT2180 on the 3530 tripod with my Nikon 82ED and also a GT2180 on a smaller tripod with the the Nikon 50ED.

I have removed the handles and only use the the body of the scopes for panning. Works really well. The very low profile of the GT 2180 is very usefull in windy conditions.

cheers

Tom

Tom,

I bought a 2720 head because I need a load capacity of 4-5 kg, too much for the 2180. It's been a mixed success dealing with that much weight. It's very stable and resistant to induced vibrations from wind and handling, but unfortunately the movements are not as fluid as the 2380.

Henry

I recently purchased the Gitzo 2720. I used it for about an hour in the backyard with my 80 mm Swarovski scope and Velbon tripod. I bought the head because I really hate separate pan and tilt locks and really liked the idea of a single lock for both.

I love the single pan/tilt lock although it takes more turning than I would like to lock it down completely. I use the scope with one hand on the handle and one on the lock wheel and it is very intuitive and easy. No where near as fiddley as heads with separate tilt/pan locks. I think the head is worth it for this feature alone and it makes the scope very easy to use and point.

The QR plate is long so balance is easy to adjust and it locks very securely and has a separate pin to be sure it does not slide off. Scope mounting is therefore excellent and probably the best I have used.

The head locks very precisely where it is aimed with no play or drift once locked. From this perspective, this is the best lightweight head I have tried.

The movement of the head is smooth but I have tried other heads that are more fluid. This might be an issue for videographers. When set at an intermediate drag setting, the head moves smoothly and keeps the scope pointed where you aim it when you take your hands off. I find even the lowest drag setting a little stiff but it does help prevent the scope from flopping at any drag setting.

As far as stability from vibration goes, I think this head does a good job for an 80 mm scope. However, I think my Manfrotto 701RC2 was better. Although I have not tried it, I would imagine the smaller Gitzo 1720 would be inadequate for this size scope. I also do not think the 2720 would be the first choice for digiscopers although I plan to use it for that purpose.

Overall I really like the convenience of the single pan/tilt lock. The head is smooth and stable. I think it is a good choice for any spotting scope. Hard core digiscopers with heavy rigs might want something heavier and more stable. If you prefer separate pan/tilt locks I do not think there is any reason to buy this head. The comparable weight Manfrotto's are perhaps more fluid and very slightly more stable. Just be prepared to be flipping locks all the time!

Mike
Newark, DE

Henry

Although you have bought the head, for any others considering buying the Gizto Birdwatching head, see the link to a Youtube video i recently completed, it graphically shows the features,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQE8046Z01M

Regards

Paul

I'm hoping it can replace a Gitzo G2380 head for supporting 8-10 pound scopes on a Gitzo GT3530 tripod. The load capacity spec is 2 pounds more than the 2380 even though it weighs half as much. If it's not up to that it will replace a Manfrotto 128LP on a Gitzo GT2530 for scopes in the 3-6 pound range. Since it uses the same QR plate as the 2380 moving scopes from one head to the other will be nice and easy.

Henry, did you get a chance to compare the stability of the new GH2720 with G2380 and 128LP?

spacepilot,

I did some tests comparing those heads in this thread:

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=175425

After a few months of use I haven't found anything new to say about the 2720. Stability and freedom from vibration are just as good as the 2380 at half the weight and better than the 128LP. However, horizontal panning on my unit is a bit sticky compared to the 2380 or the 128LP and there's no way to further reduce the horizontal drag friction. I don't think it's a big problem at typical birding magnifications and I do like the convenience of one big knob for locking and unlocking the pan and tilt together.

Henry

Last edited:
Thanks, Henry. I vaguely remembered that you had written a short review of the 2720, but couldn't find it. So from your experience, the 2720 is just as stable in the field as the 2380 for birding scopes? If that's the case, I think it is probably worth the premium for the lighter weight and the convenience of one knob lock.

These new heads are sleek, sturdy and lightweight and after years of using a heavy video head the G2720 was refreshing. The hefty price tag seemed worthwhile. After a week of limited and very careful use the uique single pan/tilt lock seized up and I returned it and got a refund. I returned to Manfrotto and got the well-reviewed, tried and tested 701HDV head for a lot less money. The Gitzo was more aesthetic but I need total reliability with my equipment. I would still buy from Gitzo but this new product was perhaps too new and differet

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back