• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So which Tripod (1 Viewer)

Incidentally when I bought the 701RC2 head and tripod I was advised that I could buy a plate (around £40) to counterbalance the weight of the camera - and was advised that this would also make it much more secure and alleviate the problems of relying on just the screw.
Any comments on this would be appreciated.

kim said:
Incidentally when I bought the 701RC2 head and tripod I was advised that I could buy a plate (around £40) to counterbalance the weight of the camera - and was advised that this would also make it much more secure and alleviate the problems of relying on just the screw.
I usually throw my scope over my shoulder with a sling to move around from area to area. That is when the scope shakes loose.

kim said:

I think this may be what you are asking about, I have never used one so cannot say if it helps the security problem.
http://www.vistek.ca/details/detail_over.asp?eCode=210225&TYPE=&Specs=N&Box=N

my solution to the counterbalance problem is

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24229

jim

kim said:

Kim
Swaro do a balance rail for £38 available from warehouse express this may be what the salesman was talking about unfortunatly according to warehouse express website it is only suitable for the Swaro tripods/ head and manfrotto's 128 head which i find strange Would swaro manufacture something which is so limited ? I will get an email off to swaro to ask, watch this space.

Simon

Last edited:
I used a Slik 88 for about 20 years. It was great for using with a camera but I didn't like it for using with a scope. I was delighted when it finally went bad this summer and I was able to buy a Swavorski (really a manfrotto in a very slight disguise).

Thanks Simon and Jim
I think the Vistek example is the one that I have been advised about. It looks as though it has an extra screw - and again - the only way to find out will be to try it in the New Year. I've been out today with my scope (Velbon tripod and head) and same problem - after an hour it started to work loose and wobble and I have to take the whole think off and tighten the screw again. Why on earth do the scope manufacturers make us rely on a single screw hole. It's a pain! On a previous model I used super glue - I cannot describe the sarcy comments I got when I came to trade the scope in for a new model!! The references were worse than those made about women drivers. All unjustified!

Kim
Looking at the manfrotto 357 on their website (http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/product/search_result.php3) i can't see that there is any extra security than with a normal single screw,i believe the "extra screw" is actually a pin the same as most tripod heads. If you are having trouble with it coming loose try using thread loc which should be available at local model shops etc instead of superglue also check the base of your scope i have the ats80 and have had trouble with the small chrome insert that the tripod screws into this insert is actually screwed into the foot of the 80 scopes (guess it is the same on the 60) This insert comes loose if you are not careful so a drop of thread loc on that is advisable

Simon B :) B :)

Last edited:
Thankyou Simon - will try the thread loc. If I use it on the Swaro insert as you suggest - will that invalidate the guarantee - or would it not be noticed - if there should ever be a problem later?

Kim
If there was a problem swaro would probably take the idea up and put threadloc on at the factory i use it on mine without any fear of invalidating the guarantee asyou are not altering the structure of the scope at all and it will do no harm to the scope If you are concerned try emailing swaro uk at [email protected] but as you only need a drop on the thread then screww the insert back in i doubt they would notice it

Simon

You shouldn't have any problem using threadloc or lock-tight etc. The tripod adapter for the EL binoculars uses the same insert Simon mentioned and I used threadloc to secure it. The insert never moved, but the plastic bino clamping mechanism fell off on a field trip! Swarovski replaced the whole unit without question. Another example IMHO of a nice product design concept undermined by an inherent weakness.

Reply from Swaro regarding the balance rail -

I regret to inform you that the balance frail is only compatible with our FH101 head and the Manfrotto 128 head, and there are no plans to modify this rail to fit other heads.

Seems that the manfrotto version is the only option, but i would want to see one before buying, looking at the picture i believe that the scope is still be held by just the one screw but also that the whole sliding mechanism is also held by the screw on the side if this is so,is there anything to stop the plate sliding out if it becomes loose and also how does the rail fit to the tripod ? if it is a universal fit does it screw onto the plate on the head ? another screw to come loose !

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back