• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Announcing the February/March 2005 Prize Photo Competition sponsored by Carl Zeiss UK (1 Viewer)

IanF

Due to the technical problems we suffered in mid-February we have decided to re-list this competition to run into March as well.

The format and themes for the prize competitions this year will be set by Carl Zeiss Sports Optics and spaced thoughout the year. The prize competitions will be in a variety of formats, not neccessarily photographic based.

Carl Zeiss Sports Optics have selected NATURE as the theme for the first competition - which is defined as - Photographs of Birds, Mammals, Reptiles and other fauna. Scenic views are not included.

For the first PRIZE competition of the year we have a superb pair of ZEISS Victory 8x32 FL binoculars up for grabs as supplied by our sponsor Carl Zeiss Sports Optics.

The photographs will judged by members (1 vote per member) and the
top 20 leading photographs will be submitted to Carl Zeiss where a panel of experts, will judge the winning photograph.

The winning photograph will be published and used by Carl Zeiss. (The photographer retains ownership and copyright.)

By entering, all entrants will agree that Carl Zeiss Sports Optics has exclusive and unlimited use of the winning photograph in all their communications and that Carl Zeiss will have access to the original image format in order that it can be reproduced as per their specifications.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification - they will be rigidly enforced -

1. Photograph must be of a wild subject and not taken in captivity.
2. One entry per member.
3. Entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site (entries to the original Feb 2005 competition can be resubmitted).
4. Entry to be taken since 1st February 2004 - date taken to be included in entry - at least the month and year.
5. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot.
6. Location taken to be included (County/State and Country)
7. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
8. Common name must be given though please add the scientific as well.
9. The competition is open to all members.
10. Details of photo equipment used to be included.
11. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the - Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery - entries.
12. Closing date for entries is Midnight GMT 10th March 2005 after which a voting booth will be posted containing all qualifying entries. Members will have seven days to cast their vote following which Carl Zeiss Sports Optics will select the overall winner from the top 20 entries remaining in the Competitions Gallery. The winner must at their request provide Carl Zeiss Sports Optics with a copy of the winning photograph in it's original format before the prize will be awarded.

As this is a prize competition comments on entries are not permitted until after voting has taken place.

Limits on photo size and kb are determined by the Gallery limits.

The proposed monthly themes are listed in the Competition forum - however they are subject to amendment and designation as 'prize competition' themes which will appear periodically.

To view the current entries click here - Monthly Competiton Gallery

Last edited:
This has got to be the naive question of the week, but - how do you actually enter a photo? I see no obvious upload point, information form ar anything like that. In your rules above could you not include the idiot's guide to entering the competition please.
I clicked on the monthly competitions gallery link and still saw no answer.

Barry Boswell. (ps. you might even get more entries!)

Hi Barry,

You can either click on the red text 'Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery' in the above post or enter the Gallery and scroll down to the bottom where you'll find the monthly photo competition forum. Either way you then click on 'upload photo' and follow the instructions filling in the boxes just as you would for adding any other photo to the Gallery.

The Gallery is still being worked on at present and so is closed. You will have to check back later to view the entries or post one yourself.

IanF,
I originally joined before 12th Feb, but had to re-enter details because of the crash. Am I still eligible?
Tully

Hi Tully,

Yes you are still eligible. As the competition has been extended an extra month, it would have been unfair to bar new members for an additional month so that rule was dropped.

IanF said:
Hi Barry,

You can either click on the red text 'Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery' in the above post or enter the Gallery and scroll down to the bottom where you'll find the monthly photo competition forum. Either way you then click on 'upload photo' and follow the instructions filling in the boxes just as you would for adding any other photo to the Gallery.

The Gallery is still being worked on at present and so is closed. You will have to check back later to view the entries or post one yourself.

Thanks Ian. However, I do think that the system is very unclear from a newcomer's point of view. Would it not be possible to have a direct link from your Rules page to an upload point, in such a way that the contributor knows that his or her photo is going directly into the competition. (I see from a thread going back to September last year that I am not the first person who could not work it out.)

Also, looking at the pictures in the gallery, I see you have added a comment against some entries to the effect that they are competition entries and any comments should be thus postponed until after the end of the competition, whereas other photos, which I presume are also entries, are receiving several comments.

Barry Boswell

IanF said:
The proposed monthly themes are listed in the Competition forum - however they are subject to amendment and designation as 'prize competition' themes which will appear periodically.

probably me being clueless, but I can't find the proposed themes.... could you point me in the right direction.

Barry Boswell said:
Also, looking at the pictures in the gallery, I see you have added a comment against some entries to the effect that they are competition entries and any comments should be thus postponed until after the end of the competition, whereas other photos, which I presume are also entries, are receiving several comments.

Barry Boswell

Ian will delete those comments when he's next on line. It often happens when there's a prize-competition - the 'category' is not very obvious at the top of the photo and people often miss this

postcardcv said:
probably me being clueless, but I can't find the proposed themes.... could you point me in the right direction.
They were there before the black hole swallowed them up, Ian will be reposting them.

Barry
If you look in the rules there is a link direct to the competition uploading entries into it.

The comments have been added by people who have not realised that they are competition entries and these comments can only be removed by a moderator, unfortunatly Ian cannot be around all the time he does have a job to go to.

Hi Barry - The link in red in the first post does lead you directly to the competition gallery, but I see what you mean - my mistake. Usually the link I post takes you to the upload page rather than the Gallery page. I have amended it now.

As Adey says as regards the comments added to entries I can only sort those out when I finish work so it's usually done each evening. They should be all deleted now - at the time of writing anyway ;)

Postcardcv - well spotted. The themes were obviously lost in the crash. I will repost them though Feb and March have obviously changed.

I have noticed that one member has posted two pictures for entry to the competition, has this been picked up by the moderators? What happens is a case like this? Is the person automatically disqualified or does the first picture uploaded count as their entry, and the other picture(s) are deleted?

Thanks

Taryn o:)

Whats happened to my uploads?

IanF said:
Due to the technical problems we suffered in mid-February we have decided to re-list this competition to run into March as well.

The format and themes for the prize competitions this year will be set by Carl Zeiss UK and spaced thoughout the year. The prize competitions will be in a variety of formats, not neccessarily photographic based.

Carl Zeiss UK have selected NATURE as the theme for the first competition - which is defined as - Photographs of Birds, Mammals, Reptiles and other fauna. Scenic views are not included.

For the first PRIZE competition of the year we have a superb pair of Carl Zeiss 8x32 FL binoculars up for grabs as supplied by our sponsor Carl Zeiss UK.

The photographs will judged by members (1 vote per member) and the
top 20 leading photographs will be submitted to Carl Zeiss where a panel of experts, will judge the winning photograph.

The winning photograph will be published and used by Carl Zeiss. (The photographer retains ownership and copyright.)

By entering all entrants will agree that Carl Zeiss Sports Optics can use the winning photograph in their publications and that Carl Zeiss to have access to the original image format in order that it can be reproduced as per their brochure specifications.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification - they will be rigidly enforced -

1. Photograph must be of a wild subject and not taken in captivity.
2. One entry per member.
3. Entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site (entries to the original Feb 2005 competition can be resubmitted).
4. Entry to be taken since 1st February 2004 - date taken to be included in entry - at least the month and year.
5. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot.
6. Location taken to be included (County/State and Country)
7. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
8. Common name must be given though please add the scientific as well.
9. The competition is open to all members who joined prior to 12th February 2005.
10. Details of photo equipment used to be included.
11. Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the - Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery.
12. Closing date for entries is Midnight GMT 10th March 2005 after which a voting booth will be posted containing all qualifying entries. Members will have seven days to cast their vote following which Carl Zeiss Uk will select the overall winner from the top 20 entries remaining in the Competitions Gallery. The winner must at their request provide Carl Zeiss UK with a copy of the winning photograph in it's original format before the prize will be awarded.

As this is a prize competition comments on entries are not permitted until after voting has taken place.

Limits on photo size and kb are determined by the Gallery limits.

HAS THERE BEEN A PROBLEM - WILL I HAVE TO UPLOAD AGAIN. I SUBMITTED 6 PHOTOS PLUS ONE FOR THE COMPETITION? PLEASE ADVISE MANY THANSK GILL MERRITT

gillmerritt said:
HAS THERE BEEN A PROBLEM - WILL I HAVE TO UPLOAD AGAIN. I SUBMITTED 6 PHOTOS PLUS ONE FOR THE COMPETITION? PLEASE ADVISE MANY THANSK GILL MERRITT
Gill ,if you read the very top of the rules you will see in red that "due to technical problems the competition has had to be re-listed.

As you seem not to be aware of what happened last week we had a major problem which we lost all threads and gallery pictures from 13th Dec until 12th Feb.
So as a result all the competition entry ones were lost as well.

Hence the commpetition has now became the FEB/MARCH prize competition and yes, you have to upload a new competition entry.

Taryn said:
I have noticed that one member has posted two pictures for entry to the competition, has this been picked up by the moderators? What happens is a case like this? Is the person automatically disqualified or does the first picture uploaded count as their entry, and the other picture(s) are deleted?

Thanks
Taryn o:)
Entries are checked daily. The first entry uploaded still counts, any subsequent ones are removed from the competition - usually once or sometimes twice per day.

Gill,

Yes you need to upload you entry again as well as any other photos posted between 13th December and 12th February.

Ian,how can I change a photo uploaded to the Gallery,to the comp,please?.I did try,but a message came up to say that I did not have permission for the action.do I just upload the image again,but this time to the comp section,or do I ask Admin to do it for me,if so how?.Do not want to be a nuisance by uploading the same image for comments twice.
Thanks.

Hi Christine,

You can do it by either uploading a second copy into the photo competition or by letting me know which one it is and I'll move it for you - however if it has attracted any comments then they will have to be deleted.

Best practice would be to upload a second copy straight into the competition forum as it can always be removed later if need be :t:

Marmot said:
Gill ,if you read the very top of the rules you will see in red that "due to technical problems the competition has had to be re-listed.

As you seem not to be aware of what happened last week we had a major problem which we lost all threads and gallery pictures from 13th Dec until 12th Feb.
So as a result all the competition entry ones were lost as well.

Hence the commpetition has now became the FEB/MARCH prize competition and yes, you have to upload a new competition entry.

Many thanks for this - must have had my head in the sand. Because I use the computer at work, I only have very few minutes to dip in and out of the site! I really must buy a computer for home. Gill

Last edited:
Thanks,Ian,I will upload a second copy.Just hope no one minds the fact it will be the 2cnd time for the same photo.

Can not see gallery

Hi, for some reason I can not see the contest gallery, the link on your message sends me to a page to upload photos. I don't see anybody complaining, I don't understand what am I doing wrong, can you please repost a link that will take me to the contest gallery?

Thanks
Fernando Cerra

Fernando

It has changed due to requests by other members.

Go to the top of the page to the Gallery then click on gallery home. Go to the bottom of that page and you will see the competition link, click on that and it will show the the competition entries.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back