• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can Someone Help Me choose? (1 Viewer)

shezza

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a camcorder does anyone know if there is a vast difference between the Canon XA25 and the Canon Legria G30. Also what are the images like when the digital zoom is used?

If you Google

Canon XA25 vs Canon Legria G30

There are many comparisons between the G30 and the XA20/25 mainly the 20 but at least one considers the 25 which is not vastly different to the 20, they have done a good job in drawing out the differences.

This one for starters http://tubeshooter.co.uk/2013/06/22/preview-canon-xa20-xa25-hf-g30/

Looks like it depends on how much you want to spend on a handle, all that connectivity and IR capability.

They both look pretty good cameras on paper.

I'm afraid that I don't use Canon for video so cannot comment on its digital zoom, personally I avoid it and use tele convertors made to match my camera by its manufacturer. Or much like a still camera I use something with a longer optical reach. Either way you reach the point where image stabilisation is fighting a losing battle and a good fluid head becomes a must.

Good luck choosing - if you are primarily interested in pictures and not high quality sound I think I know which I would choose, but then I already have sound gear.

Hi shezza,it depends what you are going to use camcorder for.normal use ie;family etc;o/k.But if you want to go into wildlife video,then from my own experience,for clarity and quality of video,optical is far better than digital.I use a Canon xl1s dv,camcorder,with a canon adapter,this gives me 7times magnification,using a canon ef 70-300 lens,my max optical zoom is just over 2000/milimetre.with this set up a good quality tripod is a must,plus a good fluid head.Hope this helps.Regards,K.D.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back