• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got the 15x50 IS! (1 Viewer)

HighNorth

Since birdforum won't let me reply to old threads (really dumb feature by the way!) I'm creating a new one to tell you all that I finally got hold of the Canon 15x50 IS! |:D|

I had a few days to spare in Oslo last week, and managed to visit a brick-and-mortar store with the full range of Canon IS binoculars. I tried both the 10x42 L, 15x50 and 18x50, and found the 15x50 to be the best compromise between magnification, optical quality and ease of use.

I haven't been able to use the bin much for astronomy yet (which was my originally intended purpose), but I have done plenty of terrestrial viewing, and I must say the bin exceeds my expectations!

It does of course have some limitations, in particular the extremely crappy accessories (eyecups, carrying strap, carry case etc.), which will be replaced by more suitable ones in due course.

Other than that; stay tuned for more impressions, and maybe some nice pictures! ;)

HN

Hi HN,
Congratulations. I hope that you enjoy the 15x50 IS.
At the moment I don't think that you have any night sky.

Have a good midsummer.

Thanks Binastro!

We do have nautical twilight in the south, and I'm staying here a few more days, so hope to get some good observations of the Moon and Jupiter at least! ;)

HN

Since birdforum won't let me reply to old threads (really dumb feature by the way!) I'm creating a new one to tell you all that I finally got hold of the Canon 15x50 IS! |:D|

I had a few days to spare in Oslo last week, and managed to visit a brick-and-mortar store with the full range of Canon IS binoculars. I tried both the 10x42 L, 15x50 and 18x50, and found the 15x50 to be the best compromise between magnification, optical quality and ease of use.

I haven't been able to use the bin much for astronomy yet (which was my originally intended purpose), but I have done plenty of terrestrial viewing, and I must say the bin exceeds my expectations!

It does of course have some limitations, in particular the extremely crappy accessories (eyecups, carrying strap, carry case etc.), which will be replaced by more suitable ones in due course.

Other than that; stay tuned for more impressions, and maybe some nice pictures! ;)

HN
I tried all the Canon's at one time or another including the 15x50 IS but what really bugged me about them for terrestrial use was the narrow FOV of 236 feet and it's size and weight. It would probably be good for astronomy with the 15x magnification though.

Last edited:
I tried all the Canon's at one time or another including the 15x50 IS but what really bugged me about them for terrestrial use was the narrow FOV of 236 feet and it's size and weight. It would probably be good for astronomy with the 15x magnification though.

Let me make a wild, uneducated guess here about which binocular you think would be better for terrestrial; the Swarovski Swarovision 10x50 EL SV? |:D| Anyway, I bought the Canon 15x50 primarily for astronomy and terrestrial viewing secondarily. If it were the other way around, I would have picked the Canon 10x42 L without hesitation.

HN

Take care folks.

When I finished testing I left the Canon 10x30 II on a leaf table with a Formica type top surface.
The leaf is inclined about 6 degrees to the horizontal.
When I came back to the kitchen I found the binocular resting against the chair top that happened to be close to the table. It was only luck that saved the new binocular from grief on its first day.
The 10x30, old and new type, have small dimples underneath the body probably to stop this, but a low friction flat surface defeats it.

We have something called gravity.
The gravity of the situation will not help.

So unless you are using a binocular on the space station, secure it.
And with a heavy binocular like the 15x50 IS, wear the strap around your neck.

Foam or rubber backed hall runners might help and soft snow or moss outside.

Take care folks.

Foam or rubber backed hall runners might help and soft snow or moss outside.

:-O Or only use it in bed.
I had the 15x IS, it's superb for astro and seawatching, and for those days when you couldn't be bothered bringing a scope.
I had the 12x36 too and dropped it. Sent it for repair and it came back worse. Just be careful with it.

I'm amazed.
Initially I thought that the 10x30 IS II had slid on a 5 degree sloping smooth table top.
But I thought this unlikely, so I changed the estimate to 6 degrees, without any real reference point. Just judging by eye but from above the table.

I couldn't find my small inclinometer, so I measured the slope with a Leica Disto, which I have found to be accurate.

The binocular started sliding, unknown to me, on a 3.3 degree slope and finished off against the chair top at 3.1 degree to the horizontal. There are no known mascons near here.
I made many measurements of the table top , and the range is 3.3 to 3.1 degrees, with 3.4 degrees at the end of the table top, which is way off the track that the binocular took.

So the binocular slid merrily on its way on a slope of about 1 in 15.
It might even start sliding at a smaller angle.

Take care indeed.

Last edited:
I'm amazed.
Initially I thought that the 10x30 IS II had slid on a 5 degree sloping smooth table top.
But I thought this unlikely, so I changed the estimate to 6 degrees, without any real reference point. Just judging by eye but from above the table.

I couldn't find my small inclinometer, so I measured the slope with a Leica Disto, which I have found to be accurate.

The binocular started sliding, unknown to me, on a 3.3 degree slope and finished off against the chair top at 3.1 degree to the horizontal. There are no known mascons near here.
I made many measurements of the table top , and the range is 3.3 to 3.1 degrees, with 3.4 degrees at the end of the table top, which is way off the track that the binocular took.

So the binocular slid merrily on its way on a slope of about 1 in 15.
It might even start sliding at a smaller angle.

Take care indeed.

Couple of beer mats under the legs at the lower end of the table should solve the problem! Oh, and carry a spirit level in the binocular case.

Stan

Hi Stan,
Unfortunately the folding kitchen table flap is legless, like some of us at the weekend.

The point is that I never even considered that a binocular might slide on this table. I had not seen it happen before.
I am aware now that what looks like a solid secure support may not be.
Perhaps raised edges like they had on ship's tables are needed.

Always keep binos at ground level, and away from possible falling objects. The correct position for holding binos isn't Molcet, it's prone as in target shooting. Even better, dig foxholes at your favourite viewing spots (but make sure they're well-drained, especially for non-WP binos). As for cycling with binos, well, Binastro, you and I are just livin' way out on the edge...

If you have a binocular in an elevator, jump up slightly just before you reach ground level to reduce the impact.

I have seen delicate optical equipment shipped with g meters. I think that above about 5g the optics are rejected.

The 18x50 IS is good for astronomy and aircraft spotting.
The 15x50 IS is more a general use binocular.
I have used the 18x50 for more than 15 years.
The measured real field is a little more than marked on both.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back