• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Low Light Binocular? (1 Viewer)

LGM,

The average low light pupil maximum for 60 year olds might be between 5mm and 5.2mm in the various studies I've seen but there is individual variation as others have been keen to point out. ;) Most individuals will fall in the 4mm to 6.6mm range but there will be outliers.

Knowing your own maxim would be helpful. If your optician is obliging he can put drops in your eyes and do a measurement for you, but don't drive for the rest of the day. HenyLink on the forum has described how to use a defocussed point light source (artificial star). Some, with I presume pale irises, just stand in front of a mirror with a ruler placed under the eye. Probably the easiest is to use a preferrably prefocused, mounted camera and just take a photo of yourself and the ruler after sitting in the dark for 10 minutes. Make sure you don't look at the screen in the mean time. Or get someone else to take the shot for you.:t:

The Duovid is not a binocular I know well but I got the impression there wasn't a lot of blue in the transmission spectrum.

David

If only one might have access to a bench laden with top end low light binos to permit direct comparison on a slow for dawn to arrive winter morning all would be just fine.

LGM

Well I’ve gone with my heart and recalled use of the following Zeiss model of early 90’s vintage as received in the post this morning from a site member:

3ef6bcc0-df00-4729-9f56-632f8f013963_zpscskbgx9f.jpg

To say I’m not disappointed is an understatement! Yes, they are far from cutting-edge technology but as I look through them compared to a 21st century Leica the difference may be described as:

a. A scene illuminated by filament light (bulb) compared to that of LED.
b. A vinyl or real-to-real album compared to that of digital (CD). (Even if the latter is played on my Marantz CD94!)
c. A wet chemical photographic print compared to that of an HP ink jet printer.

Need I go on??

Thanks for all your input

LGM

Well I’ve gone with my heart and recalled use of the following Zeiss model of early 90’s vintage as received in the post this morning from a site member:

View attachment 625323

To say I’m not disappointed is an understatement! Yes, they are far from cutting-edge technology but as I look through them compared to a 21st century Leica the difference may be described as:

a. A scene illuminated by filament light (bulb) compared to that of LED.
b. A vinyl or real-to-real album compared to that of digital (CD). (Even if the latter is played on my Marantz CD94!)
c. A wet chemical photographic print compared to that of an HP ink jet printer.

Need I go on??

Thanks for all your input

LGM

You have an interesting post here, what optics are in your photo ?

What Zeiss and what Leica, are you referring to.

Jerry

Zeiss Night Owl

Quite why Leica won't offer a simple but no compromise 8X56 as would be a Noctovid of this configuration I don't know as how many birding folk need rangefinding and a ballistic calculator for bullet drop? Certainly not any member of the BBC "Springwatch" Team I'm aware of!!

LGM

Last edited:
The X-ray pic looks like a Zeiss Night Owl.

Lee

In the U.K. They were referred too as Night Owl. They are in fact Design Selection and as stated either 8x56 or 10x56. IIRC the 8 x weighed more than the 10.
The weight was due to the "flint glass" ( internal term) in the objective which enhanced blue light in low light conditions.

This model was replaced by the Victory model, then followed by the FL version, subsequently HT in 54mm.

Low light use is excellent, but felt like carrying a brick around all day.

In the U.K. They were referred too as Night Owl. They are in fact Design Selection and as stated either 8x56 or 10x56. IIRC the 8 x weighed more than the 10.
The weight was due to the "flint glass" ( internal term) in the objective which enhanced blue light in low light conditions.

This model was replaced by the Victory model, then followed by the FL version, subsequently HT in 54mm.

Low light use is excellent, but felt like carrying a brick around all day.

Thanks MAK. I have always had an irrational and unhealthy interest in the 7x45 version but have never encountered one. I have found 'Night Owl' as a marketing name on USA materials occasionally but more usually Design Selection.

Lee

Thanks MAK. I have always had an irrational and unhealthy interest in the 7x45 version but have never encountered one. I have found 'Night Owl' as a marketing name on USA materials occasionally but more usually Design Selection.

Lee

Yep. My wife was working for Zeiss in the U.K., when launched and all the boxes had Design Selection. I liked the 7x45 model.

Yep. My wife was working for Zeiss in the U.K., when launched and all the boxes had Design Selection. I liked the 7x45 model.

The glossy brochure used in the UK market a little later certainly called them Night Owls though, as Christine copied one for me a few years back (thank you Christine).

Lee

Lee

Everyone should own one great set of bins in their lifetime so get surfing and grab a pair.

I was looking for something given of max' low light gathering but feel sure you won't be disappointed in the smaller offerring in terms of image quality.

LGM

...I have always had an irrational and unhealthy interest in the 7x45 version but have never encountered one. [/QUOTE said:
I have a Zeiss 7x45 (Night Owl / Design Selection) that I would enter in the Best Low Light Binocular competition. Heavy, yes, but lighter than a 56. Very bright, very sharp. Does it beat a Fuji 7x50FMT-SX? Not sure; both are terrific, in my opinion.

John

The Fujinon is an astonishing instrument. There are some new 7x50 fmtsx on eBay for around the $500-550 mark. From a purely optical perspective, It has to be the most remarkable value of all time.

Scores of folks on here read the allbino ratings and scoring systems like gospel...I'm not one of them, but if you are - make note that allbinos rates the Fujinon fmt-sx 7x50 higher than every single Zeiss binocular of any specification they've ever tested, barring one. Think about that for a second.

The Fujinon is an astonishing instrument. There are some new 7x50 fmtsx on eBay for around the $500-550 mark. From a purely optical perspective, It has to be the most remarkable value of all time.

Scores of folks on here read the allbino ratings and scoring systems like gospel...I'm not one of them, but if you are - make note that allbinos rates the Fujinon fmt-sx 7x50 higher than every single Zeiss binocular of any specification they've ever tested, barring one. Think about that for a second.

You are promoting this one. Get one and let us know all about it.

Jerry

You are promoting this one. Get one and let us know all about it.

Jerry

I've had one for years. IMO Its easily one of the best glass available at any price. You know the drill - try it and decide for yourself... :t:

Last edited:
You know the drill - try it and decide for yourself... :t:
I'm very tempted. But I haven't done it because I try to apply at least some kind of discipline: if I can't construct a use-case where I'd actually use them in preference to a binocular I already have (aside from testing them and having them, initially). With these, I just can't imagine it. But I think I might like to be able to...

...Mike

(P.S. I keep saying "I won't, I won't, I won't... perhaps that'll work...)

I'm very tempted. But I haven't done it because I try to apply at least some kind of discipline: if I can't construct a use-case where I'd actually use them in preference to a binocular I already have (aside from testing them and having them, initially). With these, I just can't imagine it. But I think I might like to be able to...

...Mike

(P.S. I keep saying "I won't, I won't, I won't... perhaps that'll work...)

I hear what you're saying - and it is indeed the stern voice of reason.

But, You can also apply your philosophy of discipline 'after' looking through these bins :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back