• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very loose eyecup (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

The binocular in question is a Monarch 5 10x42.

I recently noticed that a cylindrical piece of rubber fell out of one of the eyecups while extending it. Following this, the eyecup mechanism has become extremely loose. This is annoying since I use them fully extended.

Anyone had similar issues? Any tips on how best to proceed to fix the issues?

Hi Gladiator,

The binocular in question is a Monarch 5 10x42.

I recently noticed that a cylindrical piece of rubber fell out of one of the eyecups while extending it. Following this, the eyecup mechanism has become extremely loose.

I've had similar problems with a Nikon 8x30 and my Nikon ED50 spotting scope.

I presume the cylindrical piece got lost in the field? If the Monarch is like the other Nikon scopes, it probably was a tiny screw.

On the 8x30 and the ED50, one cal peel off the rubber ring of the eyecup to reveal the slotted hard-plastic twist-up ring beneath. It's held in place by two tiny screws, and if one is missing, the eyecup will be loose (and might come off, possibly breaking in the act) just in the way you describe.

The screw sizes are different on the two eyecups I examined, and non-standard. I wasn't able to find a replacement for the ED50 screw (the 8x30 caught the screw beneath the rubber ring), but I didn't actually try Nikon (because they don't supply spares, but require the scope to be turned in to their repair service).

I fixed the problem somewhat unconventionally with a 3D-printed twist-up ring that works well with one screw only.

Regards,

Henning

My Swarovski's started to suffer with a rubber cup that kept dropping off the extendable eye piece. I wrote an e-mail, they asked for the serial number and a few days later, two, screw in, replacement eye pieces arrived in the mail.

A

Hi Gladiator,

I've had similar problems with a Nikon 8x30 and my Nikon ED50 spotting scope.

I presume the cylindrical piece got lost in the field? If the Monarch is like the other Nikon scopes, it probably was a tiny screw.

On the 8x30 and the ED50, one cal peel off the rubber ring of the eyecup to reveal the slotted hard-plastic twist-up ring beneath. It's held in place by two tiny screws, and if one is missing, the eyecup will be loose (and might come off, possibly breaking in the act) just in the way you describe.

The screw sizes are different on the two eyecups I examined, and non-standard. I wasn't able to find a replacement for the ED50 screw (the 8x30 caught the screw beneath the rubber ring), but I didn't actually try Nikon (because they don't supply spares, but require the scope to be turned in to their repair service).

I fixed the problem somewhat unconventionally with a 3D-printed twist-up ring that works well with one screw only.

Regards,

Henning

Hi.

The piece that fell was an elastic piece of rubber not a screw. Both screws are still there.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back