• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experience at Uttings (1 Viewer)

Egrets Ivadafew

I'm a guy who mourns the demise of the traditional optics shop and the move towards internet only outlets. So as my tripod head has now reached exhaustion point, I decided to ring round a few of these local shops to get a replacement, only to be told they would have to order in (best I could get was 10-14 days delivery). This, and the fact I'd have to drive 18 miles, park etc, etc, led me reluctantly to order from Uttings, in other words face the faceless ones so to speak.
The tripod head arrived next day (brilliant!) and I opened it only to find I'd ordered the wrong one (I know, I know, I made a stupid mistake -it's what we humans are renowned for). I wanted a Manfrotto MVH 502 AH, but what I'd actually ordered was a MVH 502 A pro, a completely different, and incompatible animal.
I rang Uttings, and they told me to send it back, the upshot being I'd ordered the first head on the Friday, and by the next Friday the correct one had been delivered, no fuss, no hassle, no quibbling over the condition of the first head, and whether I'd tampered with it, and still a week ahead of what the local shops could do.
I had to ring them more than once, and each time I got a friendly, helpful voice backed up by, just as helpful, e-mails.
I know we kick off when things go wrong, and post bad experiences, so I thought I'd bang this thread in just to praise where praise is due.

That is good to know. I am in the market for a few things and it is nice to get positive reports about retailers who one is not familiar with other than via their advertisements. Thanks for the feedback.

I bought a trail cam form Uttings some years back and they blocked my order after confirmation as I requested delivery to a different address (my mother's) to the one registered with my credit card. They made the process unnecessarily complicated asking for proof of identification and address, but not accepting any of the documents I provided (they didn't accept my passport it as it had no address, they didn't accept documents with my card address because it was not delivery address, they did not accept documents with my mother's address as it didn't have my name!).

Never had this issue with any other retailer, but other than this all was fine with Uttings, they were polite throughout and eventually the order was processed - can't remember how we resolved it in the end.

If you are ordering to your own address, I guess Uttings is perfectly good though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back