• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leaf warbler id (1 Viewer)

viator

Singapore
Help appreciated with the following leaf warbler taken 5th Mar in Shanghai. Note these come from two seperate sightings about 20m and 10min apart so could be two different individuals - the first three photos are the first individual.

Attachments

• warbler2.jpg
    warbler2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 173
  • warbler3.jpg
    warbler3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 155
  • warbler5.jpg
    warbler5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 175
  • warbler1.jpg
    warbler1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 178
  • warbler4.jpg
    warbler4.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 193
Andrew Whitehouse said:
I'd tentatively suggest Pale-legged Leaf Warbler.
No words of wisdom, but I thought I'd post a reply as this bird is fast disappearing down the list and may get ignored, and I'd love to hear some ideas from Phyllosc experts, even if they can't tell what it is.

eg. why isn't it an Arctic Warbler ? ( Are there features not reliant on subtle shade of crown and upper-tail covts that can be used to separate Arctic from Pale-legged/Sakhalin ?)
and any new ideas about separation of Pale-legged and Sakhalin ?

I've only knowingly seen one Pale-legged /Sakhalin Leaf Warbler on Kho Chang in SE Thailand. It appeared much paler legged than the photos of this /these birds and had very brown upperparts. The call was very different to Arctic and it fed mostly 3m or more above the ground.

Larry Wheatland said:
eg. why isn't it an Arctic Warbler ? .

Hi Larry,
What rules out Arctic Warbler, among other things, is the double wingbar and
the thickness of the greater covert bar (thinner on Arctic). The prominent yellowish fringes to the tertials and flight feathers are also wrong for Arctic, which has a rather uniform wing. In terms of the Sibes that turn up in Europe, the bird looks closest to Yellow-browed Warbler. I haven't birded in East Asia and am not familiar with the wide variety of phylloscopus that can be encountered there.
Rgds
Greg

Pale-legged Leaf could be a good shout...

I need to get home and check my notes and books though....

a double barred palish/greyish-backed phyllosc with legs like that would make me think PLL too Andy

Larry Wheatland said:
and any new ideas about separation of Pale-legged and Sakhalin ?

QUOTE]

Hi Larry

I think song is still the only reliable way to seperate Pale-legged and Sakhalin.

Dave

Aaagh ! How embarassing, can't believe I didn't register the double-wing bar !, even though I thought the tertial fringes shouldn't have been so contrasty on Arctic and was wondering if this was a feature. I should get out more.

I'm 95% sure these are just Yellow-browed Warbler. The wing pattern of two good wingbars separated by dark greater coverts and pale tips to the tertials is only really shown by the yellow-browed/yellow-rumped groups of phylloscs, and the head pattern doesn't look good for Pallas' or any of the other yellow-rumped lot. So i'll plump for the commonest bird out there - Yellow-browed Warbler. I'm not an expert on eastern phylloscs however, so any other ideas...??

To me the supercillium looks an odd shape for a Yellow-browed - more like an Arctic Warbler, with that long downward kink. Also, the bill seems quite long and robust.

Interesting that we're still trying on this one!

Unfortunately when I saw it/them it was silent the whole time as it was very busily hawking the large number of small insects flying out of the reedy pond I was next to - a call could have certainly picked between a PLL and a Yellow-browed. If it is a Yellow-browed I can never recall one being silent for as long as this was (admittedly most of the 10-15min it was around I was more interested in photographing the pair of Zitting Cisticola and several Plain Prinia's coming out of the bushes...)

As with Andrew when I saw it and even more so when looking at the photos, I was thrown by the supercillium and the bill does seem very robust. However, I'd discounted an Arctic as the tail seems quite long relative to the wings.

I must say this bird is giving me a headache. It quite simply can't be a Pale-legged Leaf because of the tertials, as i said before. Others features look wrong as well, including size of wing bars and colour of upperparts (Although i accept this is variable). But others features apart, the tertials rule out this species.
Going by plumage alone, i could'nt come to any other conclusion than that this bird was a Yellow-browed, as Frenchy says. That said, and i know i'm contradicting myself, it just dose'nt look 'right' for Yellow-browed.I understand completely what Andrew says about the supercilium and general jizz not being good for this species.
So, basically i've repeated what i already said and added nothing useful to the debate ! ;)
But if forced to put a name to it, i'd have to say Yellow-browed.
Dave

Don't forget that over here, we are used to seeing nice fresh Yellow-broweds in autumn, and they are duller in spring. All of the arctic wblr/pale-legged leaf wblr/eastern crowned etc etc can be ruled out by the tertial pattern and contrastingly dark greater coverts. The jizz of yellow-browed is surprisingly variable, from dumpy little pallas'-like things to quite elongated and almost strong looking. Depends on the circumstances really. Now the inability to see the rump in the photos might be a problem, as i have no real clue as to chinese leaf wblr, or anything exciting like that. Still feels like a yellow-browed to me though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back