• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warning! Do NOT buy Zeiss! (1 Viewer)

es-foci

Hello, recently I bought a pair of 8x54 binoculars.... one of the tubes has debris clearly visible inside and the objective in that tube has a good deal of dust on the inside! I would expect better quality control on a cheap camera lens. I was surprised that an allegedly 'premium' brand would let such a flawed product leave the factory.

Caveat emptor!

well i can't say high quality... that's the last thing i'd say about them :( who would swap them out? Zeiss or the firm I bought them from?

The ''issue'' I see is a near $3000.00 bin being allowed out the door in this kind of state....

C'mon, really? How many does Zeiss make? Can't they physically QA every single one, or least look through them to avoid such bad PR?

The ''issue'' I see is a near $3000.00 bin being allowed out the door in this kind of state....

C'mon, really? How many does Zeiss make? Can't they physically QA every single one, or least look through them to avoid such bad PR?

Okay so never buy Zeiss again. But problems arise in every brand. My conquest has been flawless

well i can't say high quality... that's the last thing i'd say about them :( who would swap them out? Zeiss or the firm I bought them from?

ES,

You are absolutely right.
It should not have happened!!.... but,

Did you went back to the person who sold you this bin (I assume the dealer?) and how did he responded on your complaint.

IF and only IF he says FY and Zeiss does the same, you're right..... but have you done that?

Jan

Hello, recently I bought a pair of 8x54 binoculars.... one of the tubes has debris clearly visible inside and the objective in that tube has a good deal of dust on the inside!

Does Zeiss use any kind of thread sealant or grease? It sounds like a compound they applied (in excess) probably dried up and flaked off inside the tube.

Since a lot of our purchases are online these days, this is rather annoying to deal with. I'm sure your dealer will make it right but perhaps call ahead and have them open up another pair first before they ship it out.

Hello, recently I bought a pair of 8x54 binoculars.... one of the tubes has debris clearly visible inside and the objective in that tube has a good deal of dust on the inside! I would expect better quality control on a cheap camera lens. I was surprised that an allegedly 'premium' brand would let such a flawed product leave the factory.

Caveat emptor!

With Zeiss being the oldest and most prestigious prismatic binocular maker in the world (1894), you might want to rethink the problem before making such a sweeping accusation. I doubt that all is as you think. In addition, the Zeiss warranty is transferable. That's how sure they are of their quality.

You might also note that it was Zeiss engineers and techs who got Nikon started back in the early 20th century.

Bill

Last edited:
With Zeiss being the oldest and most prestigious prismatic binocular maker in the world (1894), you might want to rethink the problem before making such a sweeping accusation. I doubt that all is as you think. In addition, the Zeiss warranty is transferable. That's how sure they are of their quality.

You might also note that it was Zeiss engineers and techs who got Nikon started back in the early 20th century.

Bill

+1

They didnt get where they are building shabby products

I'm the biggest Zeiss fanboy here but I still wouldn't give them a pass on something like this. It should have been found, and corrected, at the factory - full stop. If you are going to market your bins as the best of the best, and price them accordingly, this sort of QA cannot be allowed to happen, not even once.

It's not like problems with the 54 mm HT are random, there seems a distinct pattern here and Zeiss better jump on it and fix things up ASAP.

I'm the biggest Zeiss fanboy here but I still wouldn't give them a pass on something like this. It should have been found, and corrected, at the factory - full stop. If you are going to market your bins as the best of the best, and price them accordingly, this sort of QA cannot be allowed to happen, not even once.

It's not like problems with the 54 mm HT are random, there seems a distinct pattern here and Zeiss better jump on it and fix things up ASAP.

As long as people are involved, it's going to happen. Absolutely no way around it. I was a lot more annoyed when my $25,000 car ate a turbo bearing at 3,500 miles than I would be if someone got stollen crumbs in $3,000 glasses.

Thanks James, that was my point exactly; why did it even leave the door?

Caveat emptor!

Hi Duncan,

Your email to Zeiss was forwarded to me this morning and you will note that I have replied to it offering you a solution to your complaint.

Unfortunately (rare) occurences like this do happen and we try our best to resolve them as soon as possible.

Please give us a chance to help first !!!!!

Gary.

I think it's irresponsible and petty to get on an international forum and complain about a company before giving that Co. a chance to address their mistake.

Chit happens. Especially when people are involved.

I'm not especially a Zeiss fan, but I have no doubt they'll make it right.

Es-foci

I empathise with your problem.
I've bought Binoculars from all major manufacturers and had problems with all of them at some point.

Its extremly frustrating when your spending large sums of money on a product, only to find something faulty.
It does make you wonder whats going on with quality control sometimes..

However, to say "Don't buy Zeiss," to me, seems, extreme.

I'm sure Zeiss Uk will sort the problem.

Cheers Tim

I don’t blame es-foci one bit for this approach.
I have lost count how many times I have required repair or service (generally, not from Zeiss, I should add), and after getting the product back, felt that nothing would have happened if I hadn’t pressed and pushed, and reminded, and chased up every step of the way.
So going straight for the jugular cuts out all the niceties and I’m sure he will get a better and faster response than someone behaving “politely” and more often than not being walked all over!

“mess up my purchase again, and 1000+ potential customers will know about it!”

Plus sales people love nothing more than a challenge.. imagine the positive spin, if they can get es-foci back in favour. It’s all part of the game.

So going straight for the jugular cuts out all the niceties and I’m sure he will get a better and faster response than someone behaving “politely” and more often than not being walked all over!

Personally I would try a fair and reasonable approach to the manufacturer first and go for the jugular if the response was not fair and reasonable in return.

I am not convinced that 'cutting out the niceties' and 'going straight for the jugular' is the best way to get a good response and great support from anybody or any organisation.

Treating people in the same way that one would like to be treated oneself seems more appropriate to me.

Lee

Personally I would try a fair and reasonable approach to the manufacturer first and go for the jugular if the response was not fair and reasonable in return.

I am not convinced that 'cutting out the niceties' and 'going straight for the jugular' is the best way to get a good response and great support from anybody or any organisation.

Treating people in the same way that one would like to be treated oneself seems more appropriate to me.

Lee

This is the key.

I put very little faith in an internet post from someone who registers, makes a scathing post about how crappy someones service/product is on his first post, especially if they havent even contacted the vendor/mfg.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back