• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ18 and FZ28 Owners, EVF or LCD? (1 Viewer)

rwcheng

Hi,
Just wondering which method do most people prefer. Coming from a point and shoot, I am still not used to the small EVF. I am taking all my pictures using the LCD so far, even in bright sunlight. Is there an advantage using the EVF? Thanks,

RC

I have an Olympus SP 560UZ and a Canon PowerSHOt S3 IS (two superzoom cameras similar with FZ18) and it helps. Do you use a teleconverter with your camera?

I just got a 1.7x teleconveter lens. At max zoom, it's hard to keep it steady handheld. I think I prefer using it with a monopod when the shutter is slower than 1/20.

Hi, good point. Have to try it to see if it helps me keep the camera more steady.

That is one reason why I mostly use the EVF. But under many light conditions it also helps to more precisely compose the picture. Plus, one gets less distracted from the surroundings. With the very small EFV of the FZ28, one really has to concentrate even more on the view. I find the line grid to be most helpful to avoid slanted pictures. Later corrections are possible, but with considerable losses of info.

Hi RC
When I had my FZ18 I used the EVF as I found it easier to find small birds with it than using the LCD. When you get used to it then you'll never go back.
Regards
Ian

I just got a 1.7x teleconveter lens. At max zoom, it's hard to keep it steady handheld. I think I prefer using it with a monopod when the shutter is slower than 1/20.

So, you have a maximum focal lenght about 504 X 1.7 = 857 mm (35 mm equivalent). At this value a shutter about 1/20 it is usually unproper for taking pics with birds. A tripod/monopod will help you indeed - but for (fast) moving birds you'll have problems. Based on my experience, for a 850 mm gear you'll need a maximum shutter about 1/100 to take some acceptable quality pics... The value will be even (much) lower for fast moving birds in poor light.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back