• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fz28 and teleconverters-help wanted (1 Viewer)

boingbirder

Having read through lots of threads about the fz18 being used with an Olympus TCON 17 teleconverter, the combination seemed exactly what I wanted for birding bearing in mind the reasonable price.
However, the FZ18 now appears to be difficult to obtain, so I am presently looking to buy the fz28. But before I do I would like to be reassured that the FZ28 is also compatible with the TCON 17 ( used with the DMW LA3 adapter)
Is there anyone out there using this combination?

John

Having read through lots of threads about the fz18 being used with an Olympus TCON 17 teleconverter, the combination seemed exactly what I wanted for birding bearing in mind the reasonable price.
However, the FZ18 now appears to be difficult to obtain, so I am presently looking to buy the fz28. But before I do I would like to be reassured that the FZ28 is also compatible with the TCON 17 ( used with the DMW LA3 adapter)

John

Yes, I am using this combination and it is compatible.

Dave

John

I got an FZ18 a few days ago from 7dayshop for £199, if that's any help, so it's still possible to get hold of them.

thanks for fz18/fz28 info

Thanks Dave for the reassurance that the fz28 is compatible with the TCON 17.
By the way, do I take it that you are a fellow Baggies fan? ( I myself have clocked up 60+ years as an Albion man)

Thanks too, to Andrew for the info about the fz18. I now have to make a final decision on the best bet for birding- better viewfinder or zoom video facility

John

By the way, do I take it that you are a fellow Baggies fan? ( I myself have clocked up 60+ years as an Albion man)
John

Oh yes.

Not quite as long as you 50+ years.

I wondered whether you were a fellow supporter when I saw your username.

Regards

Dave

I have just bought an FZ28 with TCON17 teleconverter & DMS-LA3 Lens Adaptor as a result of reading various posts on birdforum. I've had a bit of a play with it, and it seems to work really well. Looking forward to giving it a proper test in the next couple of days! Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts - it meant I could spend my hard-earned cash with a bit more confidence!

Andy.

So how is the viewfinder working for you?

cheers
Niels

Hi Neils,

I also bought the FZ28 (I previously had an Olympus C-740 with the Olympus Tcon-17, then I got the Panasonic FZ30, still using the Tcon-17) and now the Tcon-17 is being used on my 3rd camera, an excellent purchase.

As for the viewfinder, I wear spectacles all the time and have found no real problems with it. My main objection is that the LCD screen does not turn around like the one on the FZ30, so here in Australia where temperatures get into the 40s, you get sweat marks off your nose on the LCD when using the EVF.

I have purchased an optical glass cover for the LCD to give it some protection.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back