• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very wet birding (1 Viewer)

Zenophon

I have an EO Raven with the 30x lens and am planning to take it with me to Costa Rica later this year. I've been there before and know that I will see considerable rain and mist.

Does anyone have experience with the Raven in that type of environment? I know they say it's O ringed and Nitro purged, but does it really hold up?

Hi there Zen.

My first scope was the EO Raven and my summer weather is quite intolerable as far as heat and humidity go with an average heat index of 110 - 115 and the Raven stood up well. I did have a waterproof cover on it too.

What is?

Hi, thanks for responding

What waterproof cover? and 'humidity' doesn't do the cloud-forest justice (although the temperature is actually quite pleasant). I anticipate rain, punctuated by occasional periods of penetrating/drenching mist almost all day, every day for about two weeks. Think in terms of birding in your shower.

Most of the Tico guides I'm acquainted with use 77mm Leica Televids (kind of a group norming thing), which seem to hold up very well. I couldn't bring myself to buy what I know is a professional quality scope for a use by a semi-serious amateur. Nonetheless, I would just as soon not find out it (my Raven) isn't quite up to it.

I'll tell you what. I have had nothing but success in dealing with questions to Eagle Optics. Have you tried posting this question to them? They are sincere and will not steer you wrong. My raven came with a "waterproof" cover but I sprayed it liberally and often with a waterproofing spray.

Are you referring to the cordura cover that comes with it? And what type of spray?

Generally, I've been happy with EO. Cornell Labs got a contribution from them because I went in thru their site when I ordered the scope. Can't kick about that, very astute marketing.

I got a pair of Leupold Pinnacles from them that I took down last time, and they were great. The EO price was very competitive.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back