• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (4 Viewers)

After the horror of this year's tax bill, I was in need of some birding therapy.

Perhaps the Gods were feeling sorry for me today as I've just had cracking views of a Grey Goshawk hunting along the tree tops and earlier on even more cracking views of the normally shy Black-faced Monarch in a tree right outside my study. Both seen from this chair!

71) Black-faced Monarch.

Now that the rain has finally stopped, I'll be heading out shortly for hopefully more avian delights.

EDIT: Scratch that, the heavens have just opened again...

Last edited:
I was hoping that today would be devoted to birds.... it was pissing down with rain when I got up this AM and is pissing down now, late at night. It was also pissing down in between those two points in time.

Most birds wisely sought shelter, as did I with a good book and lots of tea.

No real prospect of adding anything else till Sunday except maybe a chance fly-over as I'm back at work tomorrow.

Really???

CB

Yes really...annoys me somewhat!...If I walk c600-800m in either of two opposing directions from my abode..I can connect. Indeed the last time I heard one chirping from the garden hedge (c18 mths ago) I reacted...as I would have done for a grdn.first!

My "yard" is currently the view out of a university dorm window, but I've still had some good birds this year so I may as well post.

1. Canada Goose
2. Cackling Goose
3. Tundra Swan
4. Mallard
5. Red-tailed Hawk
6. Cooper's Hawk
7. Killdeer
8. Ring-billed Gull
9. Herring Gull
10. Rock Pigeon
11. Mourning Dove
12. American Crow
13. Horned Lark
14. Black-capped Chickadee
15. American Robin
16. European Starling
17. Dark-eyed Junco
18. Northern Cardinal
19. Common Grackle
20. Red-winged Blackbird
21. Rusty Blackbird
22. House Finch
23. Pine Siskin
24. American Goldfinch
25. House Sparrow

My "yard" is currently the view out of a university dorm window, but I've still had some good birds this year so I may as well post.

1. Canada Goose
2. Cackling Goose
3. Tundra Swan
4. Mallard
5. Red-tailed Hawk
6. Cooper's Hawk
7. Killdeer
8. Ring-billed Gull
9. Herring Gull
10. Rock Pigeon
11. Mourning Dove
12. American Crow
13. Horned Lark
14. Black-capped Chickadee
15. American Robin
16. European Starling
17. Dark-eyed Junco
18. Northern Cardinal
19. Common Grackle
20. Red-winged Blackbird
21. Rusty Blackbird
22. House Finch
23. Pine Siskin
24. American Goldfinch
25. House Sparrow
Excellent! Nice list from another international poster. Put the word out Reuven_M, we need more!

Excellent! Nice list from another international poster. Put the word out Reuven_M, we need more!

Just wait until the fall when I actually have a backyard and anywhere close to 360 degree sky visibility (only about a third right now)!
Also, what are the rules about how long you need to live somewhere? I'm going to be spending a couple months this summer with a yard that has 10-15 breeding warbler species as well as moose, marten, etc.

Just wait until the fall when I actually have a backyard and anywhere close to 360 degree sky visibility (only about a third right now)!
Also, what are the rules about how long you need to live somewhere? I'm going to be spending a couple months this summer with a yard that has 10-15 breeding warbler species as well as moose, marten, etc.
Seems there's no rule as such for this. At least there are posters putting up lists from holiday homes and all sorts.

I haven't even got a garden so I have to employ some odd tactics such as standing in the car park out front in order to see birds.

I'm going to be spending a couple months this summer with a yard that has 10-15 breeding warbler species as well as

Moose marten, etc.
...Is this a relative of Purple Martin?..;)

What breeding Warbler species will you be hosting...Cerulean..Prothon..Kentucky?...If you've got those in your yard..can I drop in for Coffee?...

cheers

...Is this a relative of Purple Martin?..;)

What breeding Warbler species will you be hosting...Cerulean..Prothon..Kentucky?...If you've got those in your yard..can I drop in for Coffee?...

cheers

Moose, marten ;)

Too far north for those ones, species like black-throated blue, blackburnian, yellow-rumped, magnolia, nashville instead.

Added:
26. Eastern Bluebird
27. Brown-headed cowbird

Moose, marten ;)

Too far north for those ones, species like black-throated blue, blackburnian, yellow-rumped, magnolia, nashville instead.

Added:
26. Eastern Bluebird
27. Brown-headed cowbird

Thought that might be the case!...although those three have occured in Central Park and c75th St. New York. Connected with the Prothon. (could only have been designed in heaven!), will have to wear my prayer mat out for the other two...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back