• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full frame cameras (1 Viewer)

I'm looking at the possibility of getting a full frame body for landscape and 'general' photos. Which would be the best option: New Canon Eos 6D or second hand Canon Eos 5D mkII?

Any thoughts and experiences would be welcome, thanks.
Nick

Very pleased with my 6D. I have a 70D for wildlife - soon to be upgraded to a 7D2. So for landscapes, travel, holidays and general photography I wanted a full-frame but don't need high fps burst-rate and top notch sophisticated AF system. So I opted for a 6D rather than a 5D2/5D3. Part of the rationale was to benefit from the full-frame IQ with a body which is smaller and lighter in weight than a 5D. The smaller and lighter 6D is better for walking around with on holidays etc.

The AF systems on the 6D and 5D2 are a bit limiting - but then landscapes don't tend to fly off very often!
As the price difference is not huge I would go for the 6D. My reasoning is that the 6D offers a better rear screen for manual focus (my normal method with landscapes) and the better sensor. The image quality of the 6D sensor appears to be between the 5D3 and the 1DX and allows the use of pretty high ISO values.
I don't know what your current camera is but if you can live with center point AF and 4 (ish) fps then you may well find that the 6D replaces your "Wildlife" camera. No the 6D is no 1DX substitute but I have seen far too many excellent bird shots taken with the 6D to think of it as just a landscape camera.

Thanks for your replies, it seems that the 6D would fit my needs better.
I have a 7D for (mostly) wildlife and find it tiresome to be constantly changing lenses.
In a landscape camera I wouldn't need a fast burst rate or fancy focus system so maybe a smaller, lighter 6D would be ideal.

Nick

The 6D is great for hide work as well where the birds are usually close, and especially if the lighting conditions are poor such as hides in deep forest.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back