• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day tripping Borneo Rainforest Lodge (1 Viewer)

peterbrash

Anyone know if it's possible to day trip BRL whilst staying elsewhere?

£700 for a couple of days birding is way beyond my budget, wouldn't mind having a look around though as it sounds more productive than the field centre.

It is possible to day-trip from the Field Centre, can't remember the cost off-hand but the return journey is surprisingly well-priced. However, it does take a good 90 minutes to drive from DVFC to BRL.

BRL has to know you are arriving also, as a BRL guide is mandatory. DVFC has all the species that are present at BRL though I had heard the 'grid system' is currently out-of-bounds due to the current poor state of the trails as elephants recently went through and made a mess. Not sure if this is true though...

BRL is an absolutely fantastic place, it does cost a lot but is a once-in-a-lifetime experience...

James

when I was at the DVFC last year a day-trip to BRL was 160 Ringgitt per person. I have heard prices have gone up a lot since I was there but I don't know if that's true or not.

DVFC is fantastic, but it can be soooo frustrating trying to find the birds at times so the longer you can spend there the better

And to add, it's a good 3 hour drive from Lahad Datu to BRL if the road is in good condition. If it's muddy, it may take even longer.

Lahad Datu to BRL at the moment is just under 2 1/2 hours (by hilux, under 3 in minibus) as the logging road was upgraded at the beginning of the year, however, as the logging is currently away from this area, the road will not be resurfaced any time soon so will soon deteriorate.

160rm? Wow, it is going up a bit, when I last did the day-trip from DVFC to BRL, 3 years ago, it was 100rm return per person - as DVFC and BRL are owned by the same company, I would expect it to be over 200rm per day now, or at least for a minimum charge if there are less than 2 pax making the journey.

DVFC is great birding, actually, for most of the interior forest species it is superior to BRL, however, for general birding and bird numbers then BRL will get you a lot of extra species as the roadside birding is so good + generally has more fruiting trees and wider trails.

James

Never having been to BRL - to impecunious ( tight ) - I've found DVFC has always turned up the goods. Even if the grid system is out of bounds the other trails - particularly the Waterfall Trail- will produce enough stuff to keep you going, and if you can blag a nights spotlighting along the approach road then Bonaparte's Nightjar ( c 3km from the centre ) and Western Tarsier ( c5-6km frm the centre* ) are a distinct possibility.

Chris

* checked back over my notes for August 1998 and May 1999. Brief glimpses as they bounced out of the light.

C

Brilliant. Thanks for all the help. Most trip reports seem to have a downer on DVFC, I don't mind a bit of hard work if the rewards are there. Thanks again.

seriously, DVFC is great, you'll love it (even with the leeches!)

Prices from last year are: entry fee 30RM; transport from Lahad Datu 65RM each way; dorm 66RM per night (note there are two 48-bed dorm rooms, one for men and one for women - there are also rooms which are more expensive); breakfast 18RM , lunch 14RM and dinner 28RM (all served buffet-style, can also arrange packed lunches; can also take in own food to save some money if you want; is a kitchen available for a fee); internet 7.5RM (per half-hour); night drives 160RM per car (divided amongst the group - I never saw much but some people see really cool stuff incl clouded leopards etc); day-trip to Borneo Rainforest Lodge 160RM per person. All costs are paid for at the end of your visit.

Thanks again Mr Marsh Tern, starting to feel a lot more positive after the info suplied by all on this thread. Does anybody have an up to date email address for Mr Chong? A friend has been trying him for a couple of weeks with no reply so far.

Western Tarsier is most reliable at BRL - see attached taken two weeks ago B :) they are regularly found along the Nature Trail next to the lodge.

Mr Chong is unlikely to reply to e-mails for some time as he is a very busy man at present, the email address you have will be correct. My advice is to be patient and do not push him for a response, otherwise do not expect a reply...

There is always the possibility that DVFC will stop allowing 'tourists' to stay there, as this has happened in the past. Best to remember that it is a research centre and not built for tourism at the end of the day...

Enjoy!

James

Attachments

• Tarsier.jpg
    Tarsier.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 81
Does anyone know how the day trips from DVFC to BRL work? Can you ensure you are at BRL for first light and stay all day, or are the times pre-set?

Also, is there an alternative to Chong's if we can't get hold of him?. It's an awful long way to go on spec and hope for the best! From what I've heard it's Chong's or bust for the ground-cuckoo and he's also the man for a (long) shot at giant pitta. Is bay owl still on in that area too?

One final question if I can. In terms of timing, would you see any advantage or disadvantage to going in Feb/March? I've notived most tours and trip reports seem to refer to June onwards.

Sorry for all the questions. Any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

Does anyone know how the day trips from DVFC to BRL work? Can you ensure you are at BRL for first light and stay all day, or are the times pre-set?

Also, is there an alternative to Chong's if we can't get hold of him?. It's an awful long way to go on spec and hope for the best! From what I've heard it's Chong's or bust for the ground-cuckoo and he's also the man for a (long) shot at giant pitta. Is bay owl still on in that area too?

One final question if I can. In terms of timing, would you see any advantage or disadvantage to going in Feb/March? I've notived most tours and trip reports seem to refer to June onwards.

Sorry for all the questions. Any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks.

Others will be able to comment on vehicle times from DVFC to BRL, I do know for BRL to DVFC pre-dawn, post-dusk times require an additional surcharge..

There are many alternatives to Robert Chong's lodge - some great other lodges with guides who know the birds fairly well and where the ground cuckoos are - it isn't a big secret on their whereabouts, just having a bit of guidance for actually seeing that bird goes a long way, patience is the key.. They are also present at DVFC and BRL, I have seen it couple of times at BRL when I've actually looked for them there.

Giant Pitta is very random along the Kinabatangan, Robert doesn't have a particular site for them, far greater chance at Danum Valley.

Timing - I would advise missing out May as many birds are breeding on Mt Kinabalu during that time making species such as trogon especially difficult. Probably best to avoid late Dec-early Feb due to the rains, rest of the time is fine - I think most birders follow the rest by going June-August. I have found Oct-Nov and March-April to be excellent times to visit.

James

Thank you James, your comments are most helpful.

I day say we will have more questions as the trip evolves!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back