• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black headed gulls or something else? (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
Took some gulls in flight this lunchtime - question is are they both black headed gulls - the wing pattern and tail pattern is impressive something I have not noticed before.
-

Attachments

• flight-01-web.jpg
    flight-01-web.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 212
  • flight-02-web.jpg
    flight-02-web.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 194
Hi

The gull with the black head(picture 1) is a Franklin's Gull (Larus pipixcan).
The one at picture 2, i think is a Black-headed Gull( Larus ridibundus).

Kristian

Hi Mipettin,

All the birds are Black-headed Gulls. In the first picture there's an adult in summer plumage (with the dark hood) and the other bird is a first winter, as is the bird in the second picture. This explains the markings on the tail and the wing. Franklin's Gull is a North American species that is extremely rare in Britain (although there's one in Dorset at the moment). It could like quite similar to a BH Gull from this angle but the darker grey on the wing (particularly the leading edge of the primaries) would probably still be noticeable.

-
Andrew

I agree - I've got another shot of the black headed gull (summer plumage) side on.

Here is one more shot from lunchtime - is this an immature lesser black backed gull?

I like gulls - any rare gulls in Fife at the moment?

Martin
-

Attachments

• flight-03-web.jpg
    flight-03-web.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 183
Martin,

I think this bird is probably a Herring Gull (1st winter). If you look at the inner primaries (back edge of the wing just before the tip) they appear slightly translucent and form a pale window. This is quite a useful distinction between 1st winter Herring and LBB.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back