• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

En France sans voiture (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
This is a hopefully concise trip report about my recent visit to France, which means I should get it finished at least. I travelled from Aberdeen to Paris on 24th March, first by train to London then on the Eurostar to Paris. After a night there, I travelled the short distance to Fontainebleau and birded the forest before returning to Paris for a conference. After another day in Fontainebleau I headed on the TGV to Arles and spent six days there, visiting various spots in the Camargue, La Crau and Les Alpilles. I then headed to Toulon to get the overnight ferry to Bastia in Corsica. From here I went on the quite spectacular railway up to Corte in the centre of the island, where I spent three days. On Easter Sunday (8th April) I caught the afternoon ferry from Ajaccio to Toulon, where I stayed overnight before returning to Paris on the TGV. I got an afternoon Eurostar to London where I spent a few days at another conference before returning to Aberdeen. I’ll go through each ‘phase’ of the trip in turn, mentioning some of the highlights.

Fontainebleau

This is a well known site, about 45 minutes on the train from Gare de Lyon in Paris. I birded the grounds of the vast chateau and the mixed forest to the south of the town. The main targets were woodpeckers and I was able to see both Black Woodpecker and Middle-spotted Woodpecker. The former seemed to be particularly common, preferring the areas of mixed pine forest. I saw perhaps half a dozen. Some were just flight views but I enjoyed some wonderful looks at a few noisy male birds, which were going through their full repertoire of drums and calls. Three Middle-spotted Woodpeckers were seen in the more uniformly deciduous areas, one very well. I love the salmon pink vent and delicate streaking on the underparts of these neat birds. Crested Tits were vocal but sometimes hard to see in the pine forests and several Firecrests were seen well, with the woodland near the chateau, particularly where a few conifers were found, being the best area. Short-toed Treecreeper was also regularly encountered, giving its distinctive tit-like song. To someone used to Scottish woodlands, it was good to see the numerous Nuthatches and Marsh Tits and Black Redstarts were flitting about the more open areas. A highlight was a beautiful and rather grey Tawny Owl, seen after it was disturbed by mobbing birds one morning.

Arles and the Camargue

I stayed at the Hotel de la Muette in the old town in Arles, which was quite pleasant and about 45 Euros a night for an ensuite room. I got around mainly by bus and foot but hired a bike in Saintes Maries de la Mer and was given a few lifts by a couple of generous Swiss birders (so I guess this wasn’t entirely ‘sans voiture’). The weather was a bit of a mixture with some warm sunny periods but rain most days, particularly in the afternoon, and a couple of cold and windy days that really weren’t what you’re after in the south of France.

Day One 29th March: Spent a bit of time orienting myself, getting info on bus times and having a nice sandwich in a café in the centre of Arles. Eventually I went for a wander through the fields to the south of the town and saw Sardinian Warbler and Serin, just to get me in that Mediterranean mood. The old buildings in Arles seemed to be laden with Black Redstarts.

Day Two 30th March

A slight disappoint was realising that the bus doesn’t go to legendary Wallcreeper site Les Baux except in the summer. Instead, I got the bus to St Remy de Provence and walked over the hills through the pine forest and maquis to Les Baux. There weren’t too many birds on the way but it was quality rather than quantity, including a Subalpine Warbler singing atop a bush and a quick Dartford Warbler. Les Baux itself is an impressive looking village, situated on a precipitous rock, but it’s a bit of a tourist trap. I made my way up to the top, paid seven euros to get into the castle and wandered about birding and admiring the view. After a bit of searching, I found my main quarry flitting about in a patch of short grass: eight beautifully marked Alpine Accentors. They were almost embarrassingly tame, coming virtually to within touching distance. A few Crag Martins and Alpine Swifts swooped about and a Black Kite, the first of many, soared overhead. I spent about an hour searching the cliffs for Wallcreeper, half wondering if they might have departed for the summer. I didn’t find any but saw a subadult male Blue Rock Thrush while I was looking. On the walk back I flushed a pair of Woodlarks and three Black Kites were picked out as they drifted along the high ridges. Five Cattle Egrets were in a roadside field on the return journey to Arles.

Day Three 31st March

I caught the early morning bus to Saintes Maries de la Mer, a seaside town surrounded by the shallow lagoons for which the Camargue is famous. The weather was pretty unpleasant with cloud and a biting wind. Soon it started raining, which kept up for most of the day. I headed first to the sea and found that the birds were somewhat in keeping with the weather, with plenty of species to make me feel at home: Red-breasted Merganser, three Razorbills, a couple of marauding Arctic Skuas and four Gannets. Slightly more in keeping with the latitude were around 15 Mediterranean Shearwaters, rather distantly drifting through the haze, a few Mediterranean Gulls and a pair of Crested Larks on the beach. I hired a bike for fifteen euros and stopped at Etang des Launes on the edge of the town. There was a good selection of birds here including 30 odd Mediterranean Gulls, a drake Garganey, several Red-crested Pochards, a couple of Black-necked Grebes, lots of Avocets, Black-winged Stilts and Sandwich Terns, a Spotted Redshank and, as this was the Camargue, hordes of Greater Flamingos. The morning bike ride took me north along the eastern edge of Etang des Imperiaux. I found a good flock of waders, including some Kentish Plovers and several Little Stints and a Hoopoe bounded along the track. The poor weather seemed to be inhibiting the hoped for raptors and marshland birds though. The afternoon didn’t real produce them either, as I headed up towards the Ornithological Park. I coughed up the fairly exorbitant seven euros entrance and saw a few waders, such as Ruff and Green Sandpiper, and several singing Fan-tailed Warblers but not much else. A return to the sea proved more worthwhile, with several Arctic Skuas wheeling about, four Red-breasted Mergansers past and the spectacle of large numbers of passerines (mainly Chaffinches, Meadow Pipits and White Wagtails) heading in off the sea. The highlight of the day came last, when three adult Slender-billed Gulls flew serenely by.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I caught the early morning bus to Saintes Maries de la Mer, a seaside town surrounded by the shallow lagoons for which the Camargue is famous..........The highlight of the day came last, when three adult Slender-billed Gulls flew serenely by.

What a wonderful trip Andrew. We know so many of these places and yet you saw many more birds than we ever did - mind you, being able to get really off the beaten track on foot instead of motoring gave you a distinct advantage.
Redstarts, rock thrush (not blue - in the Auvergne) and black kites were three favourites of ours.

Are we going to see some pics, when you draw breath? Do you speak French Andrew? A happy coincidence, going to conferences which allow a little birdwatching detour.- Lucky you!

I didn't take many bird pictures but did get a few of the Alpine Accentors at Les Baux. My French is strictly schoolboy standard, I'm afraid June. I got by though!

Attachments

• Alpine Accentor Les Baux 5.jpg
    Alpine Accentor Les Baux 5.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Alpine Accentor Les Baux 6.jpg
    Alpine Accentor Les Baux 6.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 164
Day Four 1st April

There was heavy rain in the morning so I stayed in my hotel and waited for it to clear up. After figuring out the rather limited public transport options on a Sunday, I decided to get the train to Miramas and then walk to the lake at Entressen. This took me along a long and straight road, past a big army base. Things didn’t look too promising at first but, after I passed the fence around the base, the countryside opened out into what looked like a good area of dry grassland, the habitat for which La Crau is famous. Encouraged by a sign for a nature reserve, I wandered along the track that flanked the edge of the fence. Almost immediately a flock of Little Bustards erupted from the grass. More were soon to be found, peering above the vegetation or flashing their startling white wings as they flew. At least 30 birds were seen in all. After a wander along the track, with birds like Corn Bunting and Wheatear seen, I decided to continue along the road and visit this area, called Coussou de Calissane on the map, later in the day. The vegetation began to get much greener as I approached the lake. One damp field was covered in over 200 Cattle Egrets and Black Kites soon began to fill the air, often drifting close by. A male Hen Harrier cruised over and very good views were had of a smart male Subalpine Warbler in an area of brambles. A bike race seemed to be going on around the lake at Entressen and not too much was on the water aside from lots of gulls and Great-crested Grebes. Hirundines soon started to accumulate and 30 or more Black Kites were counted on a scan along the horizon, attracted by the nearby rubbish dump. A group of Garganey alighted on the water and a Cetti’s Warbler showed itself nicely in the reeds. At dusk, I returned to Coussou de Calissane. A few Little Bustards showed in the distance and the first Swifts of the trip drifted over. Three Stone Curlews flew up from the edge of the track and good views were had of them as they called from the grass. Further along the track, a pair of smoky looking Southern Grey Shrikes were seen as they perched up on low bushes. As I departed, a large flock of around 40 passerines flew overhead and their shrill calls and long tails identified them as Tawny Pipits, presumably going to roost.

Day Five 2nd April

I got the bus heading to Salin de Giraud in the morning and got off at Villeneuve, a small hamlet a few miles from the reserve at La Capeliere. I walked along the very pleasant and quiet road, running at first through woodland and then around the north-eastern shore of Etang de Vaccares. The scrub and fields were filled with Cetti’s and Fan-tailed Warblers, Tree Sparrows and Crested Larks. The huge Vaccares held lots of Greater Flamingos but few other waterbirds aside from some Black-necked Grebes and Garganey. Half a dozen Slender-billed Gulls, mostly immatures flew over the lake and a large flock of Spotted Redshanks was in one of the adjacent pools. La Capeliere is a fairly typical ‘nature reserve’ set up with a trail and various hides overlooking small pools. Most of these didn’t hold very much but the second hide on the trail overlooked a muddy pool where there were quite a few Green Sandpipers and a Water Rail skulked around the back edges. Encouraged by the latter sighting, I returned to the hide after going round the rest of the trail and was rewarded with very good and prolonged views of a Spotted Crake as it tracked the edge of the reeds. A White Stork dropped down behind the pool and out of sight. Some visitors at La Capeliere told me they’d seen some Great-spotted Cuckoos earlier in the day at a site several miles away and so I decided I’d wander over, visiting a few other sites on the way. Although there were a few good birds along the route, including a couple of Great White Egrets at Mas Neuf and Mas D’Agon, the walk was rather disappointing. I never connected with the cuckoos at the military zone north of Mas D’Agon but did see a couple of Stone Curlews there. I also met up with two Swiss birders, who kindly gave me a lift back to Arles, saving me a rather long walk.

Day Six 3rd April

I journeyed back to La Crau with the intention of visiting the reserve at Peau de Meau. I got my permit at the Ecomuseum at St Martin de Crau and then set off on another rather lengthy walk in warm sunny weather. Some way down the road I again met up with the two Swiss birders I’d met yesterday and they gave me a lift down to the reserve. Peau de Meau is a big expanse of stony steppe and, whilst you know there’s good stuff int ehre, it’s a pretty hard place to find birds. A tour around the circular trail produced five Stone Curlews and a distant pair of Southern Grey Shrikes but not the hoped for sandgrouse or larks. As we returned to the car, the skies clouded over and heavy rain started to fall, as it did on and off for the remainder of the day. We headed off to Coussou de Calissane in the hope of seeing Little Bustard again and, sure enough, we enjoyed very good views of two females and a male. The male was puffing its neck feathers out in display and I was struck by how incredibly well camouflaged the female birds are, almost invisible against the grass until they moved. There were five more Stone Curlews here and a pair of Red-legged Partridges. A quick stop at Entressen produced a single Litte Gull swooping over the water. I’d read in a trip report about a possible site for Lesser Kestrel back near Peau de Meau so suggested that we go and check it out. After some poor navigating by me, we eventually found the spot adjacent to the N568 road near Mas D’Icard. Again there were Little Bustards, around eight, and some distant Stone Curlews. We could see some kestrels on the roof of an old building some distance away and, as these were together in a group and looked rather brightly coloured, we suspected they were Lesser Kestrels. Because the views weren’t great we decided to go back up the road to get closer. We managed to pull up opposite the wrong building but, as compensation, on top of this was sat an immature Bonelli’s Eagle. We watched this big ginger eagle fly about over the plain before returning to the rooftop. Eventually, we were able to get slightly better views of the kestrels, enough to confirm that they were Lesser Kestrels. A female was seen at closer range as it sat low in the grass.

Great report Andrew. I've just returned from the Camargue area myself, although in a less environmentally friendly way (avec voiture et avion). I'll post a report in due course (it wasn't specifically a birding trip) but there is at least one species you saw that I am envious of.

Day Seven 4th April

This was my final day in Arles and I wasn’t too sure where to go. Eventually I decided to head to Salin de Giraud, a salt producing village near the mouth of the Rhone. The village is quite an interesting place, with lots of planned housing built by the salt companies and set alongside a huge expanse of mostly dry salt pans. There was lots of graffiti in the village protesting about the departure of the salt manufacturers and the potential or consequent ‘death of the village’. I don’t know if this has actually come to pass as yet. It was a bright morning but the mistral was really whipping down the valley, making it bitterly cold. I wasn’t sure where the best place to head for was but wandered through the village, seeing a fine male Redstart, a Hoopoe and a Green Sandpiper along the way. At the western end I reached a rather inauspicious scrubby area and noticed a couple of small birds hopping about at the bottom of a bramble bush. I was delighted to see that these were a pair of Spectacled Warblers, a bird I’d been hoping I might see here. Unfortunately they didn’t stay in the open for long, before retreating into the middle of the bush and not coming out again, despite a long wait. This good but fleeting view of these birds and my subsequent failure to locate them again seemed to me rather like a metaphor for the claimed sightings of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers. Or something like that. After a bit more wandering about I decided that there probably wasn’t going to be a lot to see around Salin de Giraud and so, chastened by the wind, I headed on the bus back to Arles, did my laundry and headed for the station, where I caught a train to Toulon and the overnight ferry to Bastia in Corsica.

Corsica Day One 5th April

I arrived in Bastia at seven in the morning and found my way through the streets to the small train station. From here I travelled for around an hour and a half along the extraordinary railway line to Corte in the centre of the island. The line traverses some remarkable gorges as it passes through forests and fields and then into the mountains. My accommodation was at the cheap, but okay, Hotel HR on the edge of town. After settling into my very big room, I went for a wander into the centre of town, which is sat atop a large rock above the meeting point of the Restonica and Tavignano rivers. It was as I was crossing a footbridge over these that I saw two small finches flit down onto the stony river bed. These were a pair of Corsican Citril Finches, beautiful lemon-yellow birds showing the streaky brown backs that distinguish them from mainland Citril Finches. After enjoying great views of these for several minutes, I continued on into the town centre, picked up some maps and had lunch.

I decided that the best policy for the remainder of the day would be to try to see the legendary Corsican Nuthatch as soon as possible, so I headed off along the slender road through the Restonica valley to seek out some Corsican Pine forest. Corsica has a lot of endemic or near-endemic subspecies so I was looking particularly carefully at a lot of the otherwise familiar species in the woods and scrub. Coal Tits, Treecreepers and Wrens were all ‘different’ but not always strikingly so. The trees were filled with the songs of Blackcaps and Firecrests were seen and heard regularly – these lovely birds proving to be as common in Corsica as anywhere I’ve ever been. A few more Corsican Citril Finches were seen along the forest trails but I was struggling to hear anything that sounded like a Nuthatch. There were other birds to see in the mixture of pine and maquis that lined the sides of the valley though, including a Dartford Warbler and a few Cirl Buntings. I managed some good views of a few Common Crossbills, another island subspecies. Sadly for any of you Crossbill enthusiasts, I lacked the necessarily technology to get a voice recording but the excitement calls sounded a bit sparrow-like to my ears.

Finally, after a bit of ‘encouragement’ from my MP3 player, I heard a liquid trilling in the distance. A bit more of a blast and a tiny short-tailed bird was flying towards me and into the nearest tree: a Corsican Nuthatch. I watched this male bird for several minutes as it rummaged around the pine needles and branches, singing regularly and even, it seemed, visiting a nest hole in a dead tree. A really special few minutes.

As the evening light descended on the valley, there was more excitement on the way. Looking up to the steep crags as I returned to Corte along the road, I saw a large raptor effortlessly gliding up the valley. Much to my astonishment it was a sub-adult Lammergeier, doing its best to look like a giant falcon dressed in the garb of a Hooded Crow. Continuing on I was pleased, as I always am, to see a Dipper along the stream. In Corsica the black-bellied nominate is found. A party of twenty or more Crag Martins zipped into the valley at dusk

I arrived in Bastia at seven in the morning and found my way through the streets to the small train station. From here I travelled for around an hour and a half along the extraordinary railway line to Corte in the centre of the island. The line traverses some remarkable gorges as it passes through forests and fields and then into the mountains. My accommodation was at the cheap, but okay, Hotel HR on the edge of town. After settling into my very big room, I went for a wander into the centre of town, which is sat atop a large rock above the meeting point of the Restonica and Tavignano rivers. It was as I was crossing a footbridge over these that I saw two small finches flit down onto the stony river bed. These were a pair of Corsican Citril Finches, beautiful lemon-yellow birds showing the streaky brown backs that distinguish them from mainland Citril Finches. After enjoying great views of these for several minutes, I continued on into the town centre, picked up some maps and had lunch.

I decided that the best policy for the remainder of the day would be to try to see the legendary Corsican Nuthatch as soon as possible, so I headed off along the slender road through the Restonica valley to seek out some Corsican Pine forest. Corsica has a lot of endemic or near-endemic subspecies so I was looking particularly carefully at a lot of the otherwise familiar species in the woods and scrub. Coal Tits, Treecreepers and Wrens were all ‘different’ but not always strikingly so. The trees were filled with the songs of Blackcaps and Firecrests were seen and heard regularly – these lovely birds proving to be as common in Corsica as anywhere I’ve ever been. A few more Corsican Citril Finches were seen along the forest trails but I was struggling to hear anything that sounded like a Nuthatch. There were other birds to see in the mixture of pine and maquis that lined the sides of the valley though, including a Dartford Warbler and a few Cirl Buntings. I managed some good views of a few Common Crossbills, another island subspecies. Sadly for any of you Crossbill enthusiasts, I lacked the necessarily technology to get a voice recording but the excitement calls sounded a bit sparrow-like to my ears.

Finally, after a bit of ‘encouragement’ from my MP3 player, I heard a liquid trilling in the distance. A bit more of a blast and a tiny short-tailed bird was flying towards me and into the nearest tree: a Corsican Nuthatch. I watched this male bird for several minutes as it rummaged around the pine needles and branches, singing regularly and even, it seemed, visiting a nest hole in a dead tree. A really special few minutes.

As the evening light descended on the valley, there was more excitement on the way. Looking up to the steep crags as I returned to Corte along the road, I saw a large raptor effortlessly gliding up the valley. Much to my astonishment it was a sub-adult Lammergeier, doing its best to look like a giant falcon dressed in the garb of a Hooded Crow. Continuing on I was pleased, as I always am, to see a Dipper along the stream. In Corsica the black-bellied nominate is found. A party of twenty or more Crag Martins zipped into the valley at dusk

Congrats on the Nuthatch! And on the Lammergeier, I would really love to see one. Oh, and a Citril Finch. And a Cirl Bunting. The setting sounds superb too. Not jealous at all, though. ;)

Day Two 6th April

This was a lovely sunny day and I spent it ambling around the beautiful countryside surrounding Corte. In the morning I took a leisurely walk along the valley to the east of the town, through maquis and riverside woodland speckled with blossom. Again there were lots of Blackcaps, Firecrests and Cirl Buntings to be seen and heard. I was particularly keen to scrutinise the local starlings, having only had distant views thus far. A small party obliged at the side of the road and these were, as expected, dark purple Spotless Starlings. Plenty more were seen through the day. Overhead a number of Red Kites casually drifted by, some giving glorious views.

I was keen to get into some maquis scrub and so I followed a farm track heading off into the hills. A few Woodlarks were trotting about in the bare areas between the bushes. A twittery warble was coming from up on one slope and eventually the bird making it came closer: an exquisite Marmora’s Warbler. These are really one of the most fetching sylvias, smoky grey with a vividly contrasting red eye-ring and bill. Another was seen more distantly. On the way back along the river, I spent time looking at the various orchids growing along the verge. Butterflies were also busy in the sun, including a big orangey Large Tortoiseshell. A pair of Tree Pipits were in the trees along the river.

After lunch in the town centre (the food in Corsica is really good, and not quite as meat-obsessed as elsewhere in France) I took a walk along the Gorges de Tavignano, a spectacular rock lined valley that runs to the west of Corte. The trail ran through maquis and old olive groves and terraces. Birding was a bit quiet but I still managed another Marmora’s Warbler, Alpine Swift, Crag Martin and a pair of Corsican Citril Finches. The highlight was a beautiful male Blue Rock Thrush on one of the many crags. A Southern Comma, albeit a tatty looking one, was a new butterfly for me.

In the evening I watched the haunting Good Friday parade through the main street in Corte. Rather beautiful, as the day had been.

Some snaps from around Corte:

1 and 2, the town from both sides
3 and 4, some shots of the mountains
5 Gorges du Tavignano

Attachments

• Corte A.jpg
    Corte A.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Corte D.jpg
    Corte D.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Corte B.jpg
    Corte B.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Corte C.jpg
    Corte C.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Tavignano A.jpg
    Tavignano A.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 132
And here are the orchids. Thanks to those who helped me ID them.

1. A Spider Orchid Ophrys, possibly Ophrys incubacea.
2. Milky Orchid Orchis lactea.
3. Pink Butterfly Orchid Orchis papilionacea.
4. Possibly a Green-winged Orchid Orchis morio, or something similar.

Attachments

• Corsican Orchid A.jpg
    Corsican Orchid A.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Corsican Orchid B.jpg
    Corsican Orchid B.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Corsican Orchid C1.jpg
    Corsican Orchid C1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Corsican Orchid D2.jpg
    Corsican Orchid D2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 131
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back