• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Spotting Scope Adaptor for Note 8 Smartphone ... ? (1 Viewer)

I need to find an adaptor to connect my Note 8 smartphone to a Spotting Scope ....

I'm considering getting the Celestron Ultima 100 22-66x 100 Angled Spotting Scope.

Can anyone recommend a good adaptor for the Note 8 smartphone ... ?

I will be travelling up the Pacific Coast several weeks from Fort Bragg to Astoria, and plan on spending lots of time watching birds, whales, sea lions and seals and would like to take lots of pictures and videos from my Note 8 smartphone through the Spotting Scope .....

I just got my first smart phone,a free unit given by the company to keep my bussiness,but even not being a very expensive phone(lenovo moto g5s),the camera has surprised me definition...So i am in the process of adapting the phone to my kowa 823 and one think i can tell you is that It takes a bit of time to test the scope ,eyepieces and phone arrangement to get the best possible results ..There are many variables and sucess is not guaranteed ..!
For instance ,I use my Kowa ,usually ,with a Baader Hyperion zoom .Great zoom ,wide angle ,sharp..but..I havent been able to find the right distance /angle/magfication or camera setting to avoid vignetting to a usable degree,..I didnt put lots of time doing this,but first attempts were frustrating enough to make me move on..My second move was to change eyepiece and now i am testing a fixed 12 mm ED astro eyepiece(BST explorer) for 38x and the results are quite better..playing around with a modified digiscoping universal adapter,the baader microstage II, I am starting to get some results..I can find the distance to get the camera in photo mode,clean of any vignetting ,only zooming to 1.4x and video without any zooming..but i had to fiddle a bit and the rig is not very stable..I wont reccomend this way as-is,is gonna take some modification and customization to get results..I also need a low power eyepiece to get a more bright, stable view(..i sold my kowa 21x wide eyepiece ,and that is precisely what i need)..
I have seen some universal phone adapters,not a lot of models to choice really...most of them so similar amd based on the same principle,so i guess i am going to make my own and see how it goes..I am now thinking that i might use LEGO pieces to make a craddle and modify my adapter...should be fun..
By the way,I lived in Oregon few years ,and Astoria,very nice town by the way,Is situated in an amazing area for birds,with the Ocean and the mighty Columbia ,plenty of forest,marshes,mud flats and you name how many habitats..It is really full of wild life and god i miss it when i talk about it!
Good luck

I need to find an adaptor to connect my Note 8 smartphone to a Spotting Scope ....

I'm considering getting the Celestron Ultima 100 22-66x 100 Angled Spotting Scope.

Can anyone recommend a good adaptor for the Note 8 smartphone ... ?

I will be travelling up the Pacific Coast several weeks from Fort Bragg to Astoria, and plan on spending lots of time watching birds, whales, sea lions and seals and would like to take lots of pictures and videos from my Note 8 smartphone through the Spotting Scope .....

I've had good results using the Navagrade universal adapter to attach various phones to a variety of different scopes... it's a very versatile and compact and robust adapter.

Worth a look.

Also have had good results with the Snapzoom adapter through binoculars... you can also use it with a scope... but I find the weighted cantilever setup to balance the adapter when using a single eyepiece a bit cumbersome, but also worth a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back