• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Backpack (1 Viewer)

Mackem George

Wondered if anyone can advise, have a HAWK NATURE TREK SCOPE 20-60MM X 80MM at present using it in a LOWERPRO FLIPSIDE 400 BACKPACK..
Now here is the problem when scope is inside backpack unable to leave eyepiece on,fitting of the scope/eyepiece together is a shade tight for bag.
Bit of a long shot maybe some one can direct me to a possible suitable backpack,its a bit of a bind having to mess around especially in a hide full of birders especially at times having an audience while juggling with eyepiece.
GEORGE.

Isn't putting a scope, especially a big one like that, in a pack a bit of a faff?
I've never seen anyone do that, and for all the reasons you highlight.

Why not just sling it over your shoulder like everyone else does?

Alternatively, don't the Hawke scopes come with a stay-on case with a shoulder strap attached? In which case carry it over your shoulder like a shoulder bag.

Both of the above two options would be a darn sight easier than having the thing in a backpack (what do you do with the tripod?) and more accessible if you need it.

Failing that, get a 25L-30L size back pack. That'll be the size you'll need.
Take the scope with you when you go to your preferred outdoors/surplus shop to make sure it fits in.

Many thanks guys for your input,suppose could carry the stay on case over shoulder.Have a GIOTTOS tripod with its own carry case so that hopefully could accompany it on my shoulder.
Not so sure about the scopac job do think that would work for me.
GEORGE.

Last edited:
A word of caution here. I have a hawke frontier scope with stay on cover and regularly carried it over the shoulder with Velbron tripod attached. Due to the combined weight of both scope and tripod both the plastic D rings attaching strap to case snapped, the last one with catastrophic results for the tripod breaking the head when it hit the ground. Fortunately scope was undamaged. I now have a new tripod that is much lighter due to its composite structure rather than the old metal velbron (which to be fair was very old and primarily designed for large VHS video cameras).

The moral of this is that if you intend to carry over the shoulder, attach a strap to the tripod or remove as the straps that come with the stay on case are not designed to carry the weight of both scope and tripod.

Paul thank you for that heads up, if was carrying over shoulder the tripod would be separate from scope.
Still thinking towards a backpack as appears lots of birders use a camera backpack to accompany a scope,however realise the HAWK NATURE TREK 80MM has bit of length to it especially being angled.
Being a type of person really prefer to have everything under cover if transporting,security wise that is.
Visiting my local WILDFOWL WETLANDS TRUST centre the few scopes that are around seem to appear from a camera type backpack but they do seem small/lightweight usually 60/65mm jobs.
However many thanks for your contact.
GEORGE.

If I'm walking far enough to need a backpack, such as to a remote seabird colony, I usually just use a normal walking day sack. I have a nice simple olive green one with straps on the side which are fine for carrying a tripod. I've always thought the ones designed specifically for photographers look overly fussy.

For carrying a scope or telephoto lens inside the sack I got a cheap closed cell foam sleeping mat and cut it up to make tubes that are a nice snug push fit for whatever I want to put in them. This ensures lenses and stuff don't get damaged by anything else in the bag. My sack also has plenty of room inside for food, flask and warm waterproof clothing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back