• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Patas Monkey split (1 Viewer)

Given the "data" in the original article it is just one of those many PSC splits that is not really a split at all...

Given the "data" in the original article it is just one of those many PSC splits that is not really a split at all...

Whhooooooaaa, don't say that, people have books to sell!

In this case, maybe he's after a research grant :-O

There is no reference to any DNA anylysis at all, I know that under the PSC it's deemed as less important than under the BSC but they usually do some right?

A

Last edited:
Gippoliti, S. 2017. On the Taxonomy of Erythrocebus with a Re-evaluation of Erythrocebus poliophaeus (Reichenbach, 1862) from the Blue Nile Region of Sudan and Ethiopia. Primate Conservation 31

Abstract: Erythrocebus taxonomy has been dormant for almost a century now, with the consequent costs in our understanding of the biology of the genus and for the conservation of these remarkable monkeys. New data on the distribution and physical appearance of patas monkeys in Ethiopia, together with a review of the old taxonomic literature, allows to us disentangle some questions concerning the taxonomy of Erythrocebus in northeast Africa. Specifically, I resurrect Erythrocebus poliophaeus(Reichenbach, 1862) as a valid species that is found along the Blue Nile Valley at the extreme northeastern portion of the range of the genus. The still little-known, but certainly limited, extent of the range of the species is a cause for conservation concern, but it may be that Erythrocebus poliophaeus could serve as a flagship species for conservation in the biologically rich Western Ethiopian Escarpment region and adjoining Sudan. The proposed common English names for the new species are Heuglin’s patas monkey (Heuglin was the famous German explorer who discovered it) or the Blue Nile patas monkey.

Last edited:
RafaelMatias; Abstract: Erythrocebus taxonomy has been dormant for almost a century now said:
New data on the distribution and physical appearance of patas monkeys in Ethiopia, together with a review of the old taxonomic literature, allows to us disentangle some questions concerning the taxonomy of Erythrocebus in northeast Africa.[/B] Specifically, I resurrect Erythrocebus poliophaeus(Reichenbach, 1862) as a valid species that is found along the Blue Nile Valley at the extreme northeastern portion of the range of the genus. The still little-known, but certainly limited, extent of the range of the species is a cause for conservation concern, but it may be that Erythrocebus poliophaeus could serve as a flagship species for conservation in the biologically rich Western Ethiopian Escarpment region and adjoining Sudan. The proposed common English names for the new species are Heuglin’s patas monkey (Heuglin was the famous German explorer who discovered it) or the Blue Nile patas monkey.

What's your point Rafael? No DNA study mentioned and I'm sure it wasn't available for review in the original study from so long ago? This split is purely on appearance and distribution?

A

What's your point Rafael? No DNA study mentioned and I'm sure it wasn't available for review in the original study from so long ago? This split is purely on appearance and distribution?

A

I wasn't trying to make a point with my post, don't actually understand your remark. I thought it was obvious I was just making available the original piece of research the BBC news is based on (which is probably not easily accessible to everyone) and just copy-pasted the abstract, so that the original source of info could be discussed.

I wasn't trying to make a point with my post, don't actually understand your remark. I thought it was obvious I was just making available the original piece of research the BBC news is based on (which is probably not easily accessible to everyone) and just copy-pasted the abstract, so that the original source of info could be discussed.

I was confused because it was already linked in the original article that I posted that's all. I made the comment that there was no DNA work done so I thought I was missing something in your post.

A

I was confused because it was already linked in the original article that I posted that's all. I made the comment that there was no DNA work done so I thought I was missing something in your post.

A

Oh, OK, I see now. I totally missed the link in the BBC article and actually had to search a bit to get the paper (thought I was helping by posting it). I guess it all makes sense now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back