• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring number (1 Viewer)

Mary

Are these 2 pics of a ring clear enough to be accurate, and have I read it correctly as LE453086, does anyone know? Don't want to send in a wrong number!

Attachments

• ring no1 b.JPG
    ring no1 b.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 74
  • S7900006b.JPG
    S7900006b.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 78
As far as I can see that looks ok. Blackbirds (like this one) have a ring starting with L (I'm currently using LK+ numbers) and there should be 5 numbers.

As far as I can see that looks ok. Blackbirds (like this one) have a ring starting with L (I'm currently using LK+ numbers) and there should be 5 numbers.

Curious one this, BTO rings fitted to Blackbirds have contained 2 alpha and 5 numeric characters for some years now. How about LE43028?

Curious one this, BTO rings fitted to Blackbirds have contained 2 alpha and 5 numeric characters for some years now. How about LE43028?

Closer inspection makes me curious too....

Are you certain this is the same bird?

Could be 2 different strings of rings?

I have turned it into a negative, cropped it, turned it back and it looks like LE453028

The 5 appears to be directly beneath the u in both pictures.
May be two birds, but both on a big screen appear to match.

Attachments

• ring no1 b.JPG_1_1_2_1.jpg
    ring no1 b.JPG_1_1_2_1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Many thanks for the interest, everyone, you've got me puzzled! I'm sure it's the same bird from its behaviour - comes to the same place when it sees movement in the kitchen and 'demands' food! I should have chance to get more photos, so will see what else comes up! Birds were ringed in the garden in February last year, so I'm hoping it's one of them.

It is quite clear from your excellent pics that this is LE43026. You can report it on www.ring.ac and add in a link to the images when you do so, which will enable the ring to be marked as verified by the BTO when they process your recovery.

HTH

Phil

Sorry Phil
The number before the 3 on the first photo, has curves, and certainly doesn't look like 4 to me.
On the second photo the number after the 5 appears to star with the top and bottom of a 3 rather than the edge of a 0
Looking like an anomaly by having six numbers (is that unheard of? I am good at manipulating photos, but not as knowledgeable about ring numbers) or two birds...
Happy to be wrong, but baffled
Harry

It is quite clear from your excellent pics that this is LE43026. You can report it on www.ring.ac and add in a link to the images when you do so, which will enable the ring to be marked as verified by the BTO when they process your recovery.

HTH

Phil

Hi, I was looking more carefully at the images and do agree, the number is LE43026. There is no 5. Underneath (aligned with) the U (of Museum) is clearly a 3 (on image 1); on image 2, aligned with the same U, is the supposed 5 (in fact a 3, from image 1) and to the left of it there's a 4. I think the supposed curved feeling to the shape of that character on image 1 (the 4) is an illusion. Cheers

I would add that oblique views of a letter or digit can be very misleading as shadows and highlights come into play. In this case, things aren't helped by the ringer having put the ring on 'upside down' making field or photographic re-sightings that much harder.

It is also an advantage (as a ringer) to be able to compare images with rings from the same series, as the relative position of the serial and the address stamps are then apparent. Just to confuse things, I've even seen series (of BTO rings) where different versions of the same numeral have been stamped on the ring - in one case a 6 with a short top (as normally used) mixed with a 6 with a longer curved top used in the final digit position! Once the manufacturer sets up a production run, this can affect up to one hundred thousand rings.

Phil

Last edited:
I would add that oblique views of a letter or digit can be very misleading as shadows and highlights come into play. In this case, things aren't helped by the ringer having put the ring on 'upside down' making field or photographic re-sightings that much harder.

It is also an advantage (as a ringer) to be able to compare images with rings from the same series, as the relative position of the serial and the address stamps are then apparent. Just to confuse things, I've even seen series (of BTO rings) where different versions of the same numeral have been stamped on the ring - in one case a 6 with a short top (as normally used) mixed with a 6 with a longer curved top used in the final digit position! Once the manufacturer sets up a production run, this can affect up to one hundred thousand rings.

Phil

Reckon you're spot on there, Phil! Got a couple more pics this am and it's LE43026. Have sent it off, but without the pics, as there doesn't seem to be a place to add them.
Many thanks to all.
( Reckon this bird will be glad when it can turn the right way up again, must have a headache by now! 8-P)

Attachments

• Ring3b.JPG
    Ring3b.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Ring3.JPG
    Ring3.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 42
Just to update, from ringing recoveries, there are 2 different numbers/birds. Will keep taking photos when poss, and hope the ring moves round a bit to give different views while the bird is perched!
Strange how two birds behave the same, and different to all the others. One copying the other after seeing it get food?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back