• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Diver? - Norway (1 Viewer)

maudoc

mau the doc
Italy
Pictures form Norway, Varangerfjord, June 20th, 2009 (yes)

8 years ago I supposed that I was watching a White-billed Diver, but is it a Common Diver, isn't it?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 145
Pictures form Norway, Varangerfjord, June 20th, 2009 (yes)

8 years ago I supposed that I was watching a White-billed Diver, but is it a Common Diver, isn't it?

Thank you

Actually called 'Great Northern Diver' in the UK and as far as I was aware, in Europe too?

A

It's not surprising that there is often confusion re naming certain species. Both of my paper copies (old and new) refer to the divers as loons by default (with diver used in brackets) yet the android version of Collins uses the word 'diver' as the default. Go figure...???

We are all in agreement though that this one is Gavia immer?

Thanks for suggestions!

And YES, I'm so confused! Not just identifying divers, but also giving them a correct English name. 8-P
I'm sorry for the American/English mix. My fault is not due to a guide, it's a my fault.
In my old brain lives a name: "Common Loon"; but remembering the words of an English friend of mine (it's not a loon, it's a diver!), I corrected in Common Diver here.

So I change my notes in Great Northern Diver. Thank You.

And I hope I will have not to ask any info about skua/jaeger (any Parasitic Skua or Arctic Jaeger? ;) or Brunnich's Murre!?? o:D

:t:

And I hope I will have not to ask any info about skua/jaeger (any Parasitic Skua or Arctic Jaeger? ;) or Brunnich's Murre!?? o:D

:t:

I'll be writing to the moderators to demand a ban if you do! :-O:-O:-O

Seriously though, it's is a nuisance to those whose first language is not English but they shouldn't get confused with the American names if using a European guide so it's up to publishers to use the right name?

Either that or we do as Rotherbirder suggests and learn all the scientific names?

A

Seriously though, it's is a nuisance to those whose first language is not English but they shouldn't get confused with the American names if using a European guide so it's up to publishers to use the right name?
The problem there is that the Americans spam their names so heavily and widely (e.g. Clements, ebird, etc.), in an attempt to subvert the rest of the world.

I think Great Northern Diver and Common Loon are both enchanting, evocative names. Long may we use them both B :)

Agree. I was never sure why there was so much spite hurled against american bird names. Great northern diver, common loon, plongeon imbrin, strolaga maggiore - who cares, when we have gavia immer....

Agree. I was never sure why there was so much spite hurled against american bird names. Great northern diver, common loon, plongeon imbrin, strolaga maggiore - who cares, when we have gavia immer....

It's because they state them to be the [one and only permissible] English name, as though America owns the English language and is the sole authority on its use. If they accepted reality and called them American language names, a separate language from English names, there wouldn't be much problem.

And as you've seen, it can cause confusion and your definition of 'spite' might need some revision.

While the difference in names is somewhat confusing... the real difficulty I am seeing as I am starting to plan for a probable trip to France is not the difference in name, but are they actually different species to add to life list?

Divers/Loons, Gossander/Merganser, the various Scoters, Firecrest/Golden crowned Kinglet,Euro Coot/American Coot, Euro Oystercatcher/American Oystercatcher, Common Sandpiper/Spotted Sandpiper, Black-necked Grebe/Eared Grebe, Grey Plover/Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover/Ringed Plover... and more examples.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back