• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Lancashire (1 Viewer)

13Herons

Just found this forum tonight and it looks great! I was struggling for a user name, but this afternoon I came across 13 Herons sitting in a field just above a small trout farm near Low Bentham - hence the name.

I had earlier seen six of them in a tree next to the farm, then went for lunch to a nice pub in the village B :) , on our way back we found these Herons. Some of them were sitting down like lions who have eaten too much. I really wish I'd had my camera with me.

Anyway, hello to you all and I look forward to sharing some great info and photos in these forums.

Hello 13Herons and a very warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at Bird Forum.

Sounds like you had a most enjoyable day for yourself. Don't know that I can say that I ever saw that many herons in one spot so I envy you a bit. I'm sorry myself, you didn't have your camera with you ;)

Hope you find everything here and if not give a holler.

Hello!

Yes, you must really take some photos for us! I would have loved to see that shot! Herons are so amazing to me...so regal.

Nice to meet you!

Hi 13Herons. Sounds like a good choice of name! I look forward to seeing your photos. We're a friendly bunch here. If you want to know anything, just ask. Someone here is bound to know the answer!

I will be back there next weekend, we have a holiday caravan nearby. The river Wenning runs down by this troutfarm and we walk the river quite frequently. There is a female mallard on the river who has 24 chicks with her, I don't know how she has come by so many. Also there is a female oystercatcher nesting on a shale beach on a bend in the river.

On a 2 mile stretch of this river I saw Dippers, 13 Herons, Oystercatchers, Curlews, Treecreepers, Yellow & Pied wagtails, the flock of mallards above, and countless standard issue robins, chaffinches, blue & great tits, crows, blackbirds, sparrows etc...

There are some small waders which I haven't been able to identify yet too.

Yes - I will be taking my camera! ;)

Hi 13Herons,
Great part of the country to have a caravan.
Next weekend just check thst the yellow wagtails are not grey wagtails, as grey ones are bright yellow underneath and grey on top,whereas yellow wagtails are yellow all over.
The small waders are probably common sadpipers if you saw them by the river,but don't discount little ringed plovers if there was a pebbly area close to.
Regards Tony

Welcome, 13herons! I don't say this to 'top' you, but one of my fondest memories is being at a National Wildlife Refuge very early one July morning and finding 17 Great Blue Herons in one binocular view, all enjoying breakfast in a marsh!

Your holiday caravan sounds terrific. I hope you'll plan a visit there for the last weekend in May, take a bird walk, and submit a report for our GGBsC III -- our world-wide bird species count that weekend. It doesn't matter what your level of experience is -- or how long you spend on it -- we'd be very interested in having a report from that location.

You can find full details on the Member's Notice Board under "ANNOUNCING GGBsC III Rules and Registration." Please think about joining us!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back